How many n scale models.

Sascha

HobbySearch lists about 8000 models/sets, which would be only the stuff from ~2000 onward I think? That includes same train from different manufacturers, Addon-Sets and Re-Releases under different numbers though.

Given that there were probably less models produced in the early times of N-Scale I'd guess the total produced from the beginning would probably be around 14000-16000.

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sascha said:

Wow. That's a lot of trains. I wonder if someone has them all.

There was a photo recently of someone who had several shelves full of bookcases...I doubt he came close to owning all though, you would probably need a whole warehouse just for storing them :D

• Like 1

Assuming about a bookcase thickness for each set (jewel cases are around the same), this is around 400 meters of sets. Only 80 meters if 5 shelves are used and 53 bookshelf cabinets using 1.5 meter long, 5 shelves high cabinets. Of course you can stack old single car jewel case sets by the train, but that would still mean a lot of space. Or if stored library style, 8x2 rows of 5 meter long storage shelves 5 shelves high (around 16x5 meters or 80 square meters). And this is only for the train sets, not including anything extra. N scale is small, but not that small. (i hope i didn't round one too many somewhere)

Imho we can assume that it's almost sure nobody has everything. (even Lego needs a huge warehouse to store their own historic sets and it's a single company and even they have a few missing ones)

• Like 2