Amazon Japan

cteno4

Jan,

That case has free domestic shipping.  You could order it through Buyee for a 200¥ purchasing fee, and then pay for international shipping from them, and they take PayPal or credit cards.  If it's just the one item, I don't think there would be any other Buyee fees added on.

We just ordered the red JRF one and some other stuff a few days ago straight from Amazon.

Whee,

Cat

roadstar_na6
11 minutes ago, Cat said:

That case has free domestic shipping.  You could order it through Buyee for a 200¥ purchasing fee, and then pay for international shipping from them, and they take PayPal or credit cards.  If it's just the one item, I don't think there would be any other Buyee fees added on.

Since I had bad experience with Buyee I won't be using them ever again 😄

I calculated international shipping with ZenMarket's tool and it came out at a minimum of double the shipping fee from Amazon directly. I suppose I'll just ask my dad or a friend with a credit card if he can give me his data and I'll pay whatever got charged via PayPal.

• cteno4 pinned this topic

So I ordered something sold by a third party on Amazon.co.jp and they offered AmazonGlobal International Shipping (Standard)  Shipping and AmazonGlobal International Shipping (Priority) Shipping.  In the past when I had used them they just had one level of internatinal offered to the US.  In my case (and a test case I just put in the cart now sold by Amazon which also offered the two methods) the difference is approximately ¥500.  I chose the cheaper one and it shipped through a service called "ECMS Express" and they claim about 3 weeks.  I am in no hurry but am interested to see how long it takes in reality.  I assume the "Priority" version for †500 more gets you the traditional DHL service.

(Yes I am still on moratorium in general but had a special permission on a couple items due to a large payout at work from getting bought out by a bigger company -- not retire sized payout but significant enough to convince the better half I needed something new)

• Like 2

Interesting. Wow not shopped on Amazon for a bit there, smallest express/DHL now seems to be about ¥2500 and now is showing 2 weeks to get here, they use to say about a week and it would show up early at 3-4 days usually. Tried a few things and all had the standard shipping option available for ¥500 less.

wonder what delivery system they are using on the destination country end. Maybe it’s just a Sal version of DHL on space and time available.

[sigh] the golden age of inexpensive shipping from japan is waning. Gone are the days of just grabbing a few small items needed and shipping SAL for $4-5…

jeff

I'll report back once I get it how long it takes.   And how it was delivered.

The last DHL I had from Amazon Japan, late last summer, took a couple extra days because it sat in airports that usually they would "fly" through. (No pun or actual flying intended).  I suspect with the Covid entry restrictions a lot less planes are flying.  I know DHL runs their own but they may have been impacted as well.  Don't know.

They could even use USPS for last mile delivery like the SurePost type services from Fedex and UPS (I forget which on has SurePost by name but they both have them).

So my standard shipping Amazon package has already cleared customs at LAX according to the tracking on the Amazon JP website.  It was picked up by ECMS Express from Amazon on Friday.  We'll see how long it takes to get to me.

Amazon JP sent me an email that my order was out for delivery today.  (It was not).   Tracking it through Amazon JP, showing details, shows the last step "out for delivery."  Using the ECMS Express website, it actually shows the listing as "Shipment is tendering to third party carrier for final delivery."  It lists "LAX" as the location for this line and all other non Japan lines in the tracking details.  This could mean they give it at LAX or in Cali to whomever does their US deliveries.  They never specifically say who that is, but I just noticed the line before the last line says "Local carrier has accepted package for final delivery" with todays date and LAX and underneath it in parentheses it has their EXCMS tracking number and then Delivery Number: XXXXXXXXXXX.  

The number looked suspiciously like Fedex and indeed, putting the number in at Fedex shows a "arrived at CARSON, CA Fedex location and TO of my city, and the details has a reference number that looks to correspond with the ECMS number.  It claims it will be delivered tomorrow by Fedex Home Delivery.  Somehow I think it will be a day later but we'll see...   For those who do not know what Fedex numbers look like they never tell you that.

But it seems that while not DHL, the "standard" Amazon JP shipping is pretty quick, based on a sample of 1.  We'll know for sure, based on the same sample of 1, once it actually gets here,

My package shipped on 18 Feb, originally scheduled to arrive 4 March.  Landed on the porch today 2 March via USPS.

DHL usually arrives here in 2 days.  12 is really good for the price savings.

• Like 2

So it was delivered today by Fedex Ground/Home Delivery.  (The Fedex website says the service is Fedex Home Delivery but the truck was one of the larger Fedex Ground trucks).  So just under a week from shipment in Japan to delivery in Utah.    Not bad, especially since my last DHL experiences weren't much faster (which may have improved since then).

There appears to be no damage but I am disappointed in the way Amazon shipped it.  Just stuck the product (KATO 1/2 size box like the starter sets come in) into a corrugated paper bag.  Not corrugated cardboard box but paper shipping bag made out of what looks like corrugated paper -- one layer of flat shipping style paper and one layer about 1-2mm thick of wavy paper like you find inside a corrugate cardboard layer.  The corner was ripped open but everything looks ok.

Anyway, this was the Amazon Standard International shipping, not the higher priced one.  And is a sample of 1 so no guarantees yours would be here as fast.

• Like 1

So this appears to be a somewhat random 'we'll get it there somehow' shipping option that runs much quicker than the old SAL (of blessed memory, may it return to us someday).

47 minutes ago, Cat said:

So this appears to be a somewhat random 'we'll get it there somehow' shipping option that runs much quicker than the old SAL (of blessed memory, may it return to us someday).

Yeah it took some sort of express to the US and was then stuck on a Fedex Ground truck in California to make its way to me.

It'll be a while until I try it again since I am on Moratorium technically still (did get permission for a couple things pre-ordered from RG Rokko and had a chance opportunity for a good price on something from Amazon I justified 🙂 but I am interested to see how it goes from here on out.

15 hours ago, chadbag said:

There appears to be no damage but I am disappointed in the way Amazon shipped it.  Just stuck the product (KATO 1/2 size box like the starter sets come in) into a corrugated paper bag

Ugh Amazon.jp did this a year or two back to me with a Tomytec train and the box (full 6 car) was crushed, but the item was fine. Bummer as the storage box never quite came back to normal after a lot or tweaking to try to right it. I did send in a complaint about the item being shipped like that, just askin to be at the bottom of a pile of boxes and get flattened!

jeff

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Ugh Amazon.jp did this a year or two back to me with a Tomytec train and the box (full 6 car) was crushed, but the item was fine. Bummer as the storage box never quite came back to normal after a lot or tweaking to try to right it.

I plan on complaining but luckily the KATO packaging was not damaged at all...  It is just a "could have been".  Especially since it was handled by two shippers -- the international express company and then Fedex Ground.   My boy works at UPS as a package handler and he tells me stories about what happens to packages so I know it could have been worse!

Yeah the Tomytec boxes are nothing, I was kind of surprised there was no damage to the cars with how much the tomytecs box was flattened. Basically the car was the only thing internally supporting. Really was not what I would call a padded envelope, two layers of stuff paper and sort of a 2-3mm padding in between.

i had a couple of friends that would pick up xmas season work at ups doing package sorting/handling and their stories were pretty wild. Many sports games done with packages that I thought were just urban myths…

jeff

• Like 1

Just got another package, shipped on 3 March, arrived here on 15 March.  12 days via USPS last mile again.

Like Chadbag's order, this was in a flimsy corrugated paper envelope that was partially torn.  Fortunately, the paperback manga were all still inside and undamaged.  But the rip was nearly big enough for them to start escaping into the maws of USPS handling.

11 hours ago, Cat said:

Just got another package, shipped on 3 March, arrived here on 15 March.  12 days via USPS last mile again.

Like Chadbag's order, this was in a flimsy corrugated paper envelope that was partially torn.  Fortunately, the paperback manga were all still inside and undamaged.  But the rip was nearly big enough for them to start escaping into the maws of USPS handling.

Give feedback to Amazon JP.  On this page there is a "contact us" linke for packaging feedback:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910390

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I responded to that link when they sent my train in a very flimsy bubble envelope. They did respond and apologized!

jeff

• Like 1

So a small order from Amazon.co.jp and they only gave one shipping option. Took 3 days to ship then 2 days after shipping I got a notice that it would be delivered that day and was shipping with ECMS Express which I’ve never heard from but 2 days wow. But they lied, turns out it arrived in LAX in two days and they said out for delivery in the tracking, ah we are 2300 miles away as they crow flies… we shall see how long it takes the driver to get here.

jeff

So “ECMS” took a week to get the package from LA to DC, no tracking, and tracking still thinks it’s out for delivery even though delivered. Have no idea of who dropped it off, but they did put it in the mail box which makes me suspect the local DHL contractor as they always do that when they are not sposta (amazon, ups and FedEx are careful to not to do this most all the time), but could have been USPS, but regular mail not with it, but sometimes USPS drops packages separately but usually only with more express stuff.

so total of 12 days wirh ECMS delivery.

jeff

• Like 1

Part of my last order from Amazon.jp was also sent ECMS.  What a gut punch that was. You don’t have any choice in the shipping, yet Amazon still charges premium shipping for them.  The ECMS package departed Tokyo 4/27, and still remains undelivered with little to no tracking progress (estimated delivery 5/13).  The other part of the order was the Tomix 2022 catalog released 4/30.  It also shipped (International Standard) but via DHL 5/6 and was delivered 5/9.

I emailed Amazon complaining about ECMS, and asked when they started using them. As the past 6 years, its always been DHL. The customer should have a choice of shipper, even if it costs more.  At least Amazon should be upfront with the shipping. I have yet to get an answer about the difference between International Standard and International Priority.  I have a strong suspicion that only changes how quickly Amazon gets the package ready, and not the shipping speed.

I’ve since started ordering from PlazaJapan. At least they put the shipping choice in the hands of the customer.

I would encourage others to let Amazon.jp know of their displeasure with using ECMS. And strongly request DHL for future shipping. As some of us might prefer timeliness over saving a few ¥.

Edited by Bob Martin

Something maybe many users need to check (complete Amazon page with shipping costs and types of shipping): 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910850

In the US, Standard Shipping is only to West Coast according to Amazon Japan website. Fortunely, in South America ECMS is no used, only DHL via Priority Shipping and nothing more, we don't have access to Standard Shipping. ECMS is used by Amazon Japan more in Asia than in America as continent or Europe generally.

Edited by fpav_2125

DHL has raised its and perhaps added a fuel surcharge. Anyways its gone up. Some dealers were absorbing the hit, but this has been reported as too much. EMS too.