Tokyo Model Shops

Blobby

Hi can anybody help, i've a friend going to Tokyo who has offered to browse model shops for me with a view to buying som modemo tram items on my behalf. Can anybody recommend any easy to get to shops in central Tokyo

Thanx

Akihabara is the place to go in Tokyo. Have been there 1 week ago, i'll try to put a little list together later (lets see if i can recall the focus / manufacturers being sold in each one).

• Thanks 1

So here is the list of the places i have been to:

1  TamTam 

large selection of new trains, scenery and accessory (busses, etc..) from all common manufacturers, some b-train shorties and a lot of car models

2  F-Models 

large selection of new trains, scenery and accessory (busses, etc..) from all common manufacturers, some b-train shorties, rental layout.

3  Liberty (i guess?) 

lot of new trains, some little scenery, accessory, some b-trains, some 2nd hand trains, trams and b-trains (also other 2nd hand collectibles like cars, planes, tanks..)

4  Popondetta

large selection of new trains, scenery and accessory, large selection of 2nd hand trains and b-trains, rental layout, foreign trains, books, ...

5 Rail Meister

small shop, new trains, mainly the common stuff

6 small shop on 3rd floor, right under the Chou-line tracks

small selection of new trains, some 2nd hand, rental layout

7 Yodobashi Camera

model train section in department store, "mainstream" trains and some scenery, accessory, b-train

8 Radio Kaikan

small train shop (i think in 6th floor, not sure), some new, some 2nd hand trains

and some random 2nd hand trains throughout the whole building

59a298bf86660_Bildschirmfoto2017-08-25um11_58_40.thumb.png.3593e47e8a60e3121fcef65f8b1cb076.png

this list is not conclusive, is just the ones i have been to and know they still exist. 

also found this list   https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1GYLSEVULxVwOGn4a69tbllkGsKo&hl=en&ll=35.6987973210789%2C139.7714407962951&z=18   but it is out of date (AsoBitCity-Laox doesn't exist anymore, changed from hobby shop to department store).

You'll have to go around and check. I also found 2nd hand b-trains randomly in collection / robot / fanboy shops. I can't recall a specific one since they all look alike and there are soooo many... Akihabara still fries my brain after being there more than 3hours, haha. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that you can also find train stuff in Tokyu Hands (not in all though). The one in Shibuya has some train stuff. The one in Tokyo station doesn't. And I think the one next to Yokohama station also has a hobby section (last time I was there was 9years ago though)...

Edited by kami_illy

Pony Hobby Shop

Out of the way near Nerima Station on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line. Less than 5 minutes from the station. A mom and pop store with a fairly large selection of older N gauge trains. Yesterday, I bought a Modemo NT96 Cherry Red 305F, 10, 057 yen, so it probably won't be a bargain place. But the older couple that runs the place are very nice. 

VFQrOej.jpg

Go down Chuo Street. It's after the Family Mart on the left. 

1lvgSNh.jpg

Get out of the station and cross the street and head right. (Away from Ikebukuro) 

EUmUw5I.jpg

You would be going left on this photo.

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is an HO Brass train shop in Suginami Ward, Tokyo. You have to get off at Honacho Station. It's the last stop on the Honacho Branch Line on the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line.  You exit on the west end of the station. From there it is about a five minute walk to the store, but you have to wait for the signal to cross the Honan-dori and Kannana Dori bridge,

The west exit has recently been changed and the old one seems to have been closed and a new one built across the Honan-dori. The change is not reflected on Google maps. But the model train shop is located on  Google Maps so you are good to go.

The outside of the shop. It's on the second floor. It is run by an old couple. The wife can speak  some English. The store hours are on Sunday from 11:30 to 6:00 PM and on Monday from  6:00 to 8:00 PM. They are closed the other days. 

Front of the store.

aEiobSw.jpg

One display case with brass locomotives. The store is pretty small and I will try to come by next Sunday to get more photos.

XAa0QJ3.jpg

Looking at the front of the store. Kannana Dori is the street to the left. Honancho station and Honan-dori is behind me. 

i3GbeeK.jpg

Across Honan-dori. You can just make out the orange awning below the store behind the cars across the street. The west exit is to my left. Kannana Dori runs under Honan-Dori so you have to cross the bridge and the access streets on either side of the bridge. 

Wwj8VuH.jpg

Street signs.

izdAFwQ.jpg

A wider view of the crossing. The white construction fencing on the extreme left is the old Number 1 West Exit.

jn2QFle.jpg

The new west exit is in the white building. Sorry, hard to see the Subway logo as well as the red M in a red circle denoting Marunouchi Line. 

XVyYgzv.jpg

Looking away from the store front towards Honan-Dori and the subway exit. Note the large orange building. That should orient yourself after you cross Kannana dori bridge. 

anHoBUY.jpg

Sorry, I didn't have time to take better shots as I was rushing to a meeting. 

Grant

Edited by gmat
Correct spelling
  • Like 2
On 12/6/2017 at 9:08 AM, gmat said:

Pony Hobby Shop

Thanks for the recommendation- Swung by yesterday, and the woman who was running the place couldn't have been nicer!

Picked up (5) B-Train Shorty Power Unit 1's (They seem out of stock EVERYWHERE, and I couldn't pass up the deal), and both Kato Kiha 111/112 sets for what appears to be a pretty solid deal.

It's a little unclear whats old stock or used, as it appears at least SOME of their stock is used, but definitely one of the cooler places I've been so far, if only for the atmosphere.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:04 PM, kami_illy said:

Forgot to mention that you can also find train stuff in Tokyu Hands (not in all though). The one in Shibuya has some train stuff. The one in Tokyo station doesn't. And I think the one next to Yokohama station also has a hobby section (last time I was there was 9years ago though)...

To add to this, the one in Ikebukuro doesn't either-their toys and hobbies floor seems mostly dedicated to craft type hobbies.