Spanish high speed trains in N gauge

ronin

Does anyone know where, or if, I could find Renfe high speed (ICE-type) trains?  I was able to ride some while I visited Barcelona last year.  I looked at a couple of hobby stores there, but they seemed to only have older Spanish trains.

Attached are some examples of what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Eric

Renfe01.jpg

Renfe02.jpg

Renfe03.jpg

Renfe04.jpg

Very cool.  I did a search for the Ave Series 102, but couldn't find any in a shop.  Is it out of production?  A very nice looking model for sure.  I love the look, very distinctive.

Thanks,

Eric

KATO also makes the EUROMED train, which is the AVE S-100 in a slightly different livery.

http://www.newhallstation.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/292

As for the Velaro set in Spanish Livery, Arnold produced these with number HN2022 and HN2142

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrUKGBzda4

These sets are very rare however, but they do pop up on ebay every now and then.

Startrain will produce the funky looking S110 series shown in the video by Suica with product code 60302 and 60303 (both sets are 14 parts). But I am not sure what the difference is between the two. I think these will be released later this year or next year, but it is hard to find more info about these trains.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 2

Does StarTrain even have a website? Google isn't of much help.

I can only find the upcoming sets at a German shop. (270€ for a 14-car train isn't bad!)

According to the shop, the only difference between those sets are the vehicle numbers.

• Like 1

Wow, this has been some great information and links!  Thanks very much for the help.  Here are a few more details I have found out:

Wikigods helped me understand the basic difference between the AVE S102 and AVE S112: AVE S102 information

I found this link for a store in Spain that looks like it used to sell the AVE S103: Spanish shop   I emailed them to ask if they thought they'd ever get this back in stock, whether new or used.  I'll let you know if I hear from them.

Here's some AVE S103 info: AVE S103

It looks like the 102/112 and 103 are the 2 primary sets I need to focus my attention on.  Thank you again for the help on this.  It has really helped me out.

Eric

Oh yeah, does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the Arnold or StarTrain products in general and/or these sets in particular?

Edited by ronin
Martijn Meerts

Arnold has always been good quality. I have some of their steam locomotives that are well over 40 years old and still run. 

As for star train, I have a Dutch prototype loco they did a while back and it runs well and is nicely detailed. The general mechanism and drive is similar to many Japanese trains. 

• Like 1

Well, a year to the day, I hoped to have it in my hands, but alas it is on it's way across the Atlantic right now.  I found an Arnold Renfe Ave S103!  It was originally a bit more than I wanted to pay, but eBay had a 15% off deal for one day which brought the price down from too much to barely acceptable.  Besides it's my birthday tomorrow so I treated myself.  Can't wait to get it in and on some track.  I will post some images when I can.

Still on the lookout for an S112...

Thanks,

Eric

Need for High Speed

NICE! I have a Renfe AVE S-102 in HO scale I didn't realize they made them in N. Electrotren makes Nscale? I thought they were HO only.

But I am currently waiting for them to make a model of the Talgo250 or Renfe class 130 I think. But I am most excited for the Talgo Aviril!  It is sexy looking, they are already using them in Saudi Arabia and Renfe's S-102s are getting old. So I hope they buy some Avrils, I remember reading about RENFE placing an order of some sort.

oh is the Avril nicknamed the swan? because the S-102 is nicknamed duck face I think.

20180228_203835.jpg

That's awesome.  Nice looking model.

As far as I know Startrain is the one making the S102/112 in N gauge.  I think the 102 is already out of production and the 112 is supposed to be produced, but I can't tell when (or if) that will actually happen.  I am no expert by any stretch, but the production of Euro train sets seems to be a little less organized compared to the Japanese companies.

The Talgo Aviril is a nice looking train.  Looks like an evolution of the S102.

Space:1999, that brings back some memories.

Need for High Speed
14 hours ago, ronin said:

The Talgo Aviril is a nice looking train.  Looks like an evolution of the S102.

That's exactly what it is.

The Avril is the 21st century version of the S-102. So why would Renfe not want to buy them plus why else would Talgo spend all the money developing a prototype if they didn't expect to sell it. When you look at both trains they share the same body I mean its practically identical but the Avril has a sleeker designed nose and cab cupla. In other words it's the modern revamp of the S-102.  Its a no brainer that Renfe would want to buy them or at least one would think.

The Talgo Avril is just beautiful it is a sexy train.

https://empresaexterior.com/upload/img/periodico/thum_img_12233.jpg?32

The seller included this brochure of what looks like a model train museum about an hour from Barcelona.  I'll have to try and check it out next time I visit Barcelona.

Anyone ever been there?

20180907_211225.jpg

A few observations (keep in mind, I have not had a chance to run the train yet so these are just cosmetic comments):

1) Unlike the Japanese trains (or the Westfalenbahn German train as well), the doors don't appear to be molded in, but are defined by the printing on the train surface.

2) The details are nice, I especially like the paragraph.   It is metal and actually spring loaded.

3) The packaging is nice with a hole on the back side of each train compartment to make it easy to get them out.  The individual wrapping paper reminds me of the thin sheet you see in MicroAce train sets.

4) The nose does not open like some of the shinkansen unfortunately. 

Looking forward to running these. 

Eric

OK, I finally got some time to throw up a track layout with my son so we could run some trains, including the S103.  The first issue after pulling out the first and second car was figuring out how to connect the two.  Here is what I saw first (I had the WestfalenBahn on the other line):20180915_163757.thumb.jpg.f1fd14e842a380d2f1874522223d869e.jpg

The other car had the same feature.

My son asked what was in the bag:

20180915_163722.thumb.jpg.3f3550c7a3d1b250bf1c13caa5c7dd19.jpg

I had assumed these were spare axles when I first saw them, but then decided this must be the connector piece.  Unlike anything I had seen before (for connecting model trains anyway).

Sure enough it worked, I popped one end in one train and then pushed the second train onto the other end of the connector:

20180915_163845.thumb.jpg.186a3971e7307769415ba47dde93a363.jpg

20180915_163943.thumb.jpg.1f9afb43893d4d4f5ecad3c91a1ae0c8.jpg

20180915_164013.thumb.jpg.d4aac7730e148e8fe2602b2bf2e51926.jpg

In the end it worked pretty good as far as bringing the cars together.  The accordion walkway pieces pivot a little (similar to Tomix shinkansen) and it is generally a nice effect.  It does make it kind of a pain putting the assembled train on the track (and I only did 4 out of 8 cars).

Has anyone seen this method before?  Obviously it was a first for me, but I am a newbie when it comes to European N gauge.

Here's another shot of the S103 and the WestfalenBahn sharing a station, transferring passengers from Germany to Spain.

20180915_164029.thumb.jpg.81ab3aeb6d80c142b32d1de51cd0cd9c.jpg

• Like 2

My Trix ICE-V train uses a little plate between the two cars in a similar fashion.  Not a pin, but a flat plate that interlocks the cars.

My Fleischmann ICE-1 has a plastic pin similar to the metal ones you showed for connecting the cars.

Interesting.  All sorts of ways to solve a given problem.  It functions well once on the track.  My only issue right now is getting the train on the track easily.  May I ask your method?

I forgot to mention that the train doesn't run that great right now.  it is quite slow and makes an occasional motor noise so I assume I need to disassembly, clean and lubricate.  Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the body off to access the motor assembly?  The Japanese trains are pretty easy to bet the bodies off, but this one seems to be assembled differently.

Thanks,

Eric