How to connect Tomix 1423 - Buffer Track with illuminated lantern.

Sascha

I got the Tomix buffer with illuminated Lantern, to see how it would look on a layout, and I like it. My problem is, that if I connect it with the DC Feeder to an extra power source (so that it stays illuminated), and switch the turnout, so that the train can turn into the siding the Powerbrick shuts down, and I get a red light. If I don't connect the DC Feeder, and turn the switch, it works fine, but it obviously wont stay lit, when I turn it back.

To make a long story short. How do you connect the Buffer, so that it stays lit at all time, and if its not possible, why has the buffer an slot to connect a DC Feeder?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

You probably connected the buffer feeder with the wrong polarity and this causes a short with the main layout feeder. Reverse the polarity of the buffer feeder to match the main feeder and it will work. (just plug it in from the other side)

You probably connected the buffer feeder with the wrong polarity and this causes a short with the main layout feeder. Reverse the polarity of the buffer feeder to match the main feeder and it will work. (just plug it in from the other side)

It's not working. I hooked it up to a turnout. Does it need a different power source ?

It has a track feeder. You have to power it from the train speed controller like any other track. It will be lit by the traction power.

You have to add isolators to both rails behind the last turnout to allow the buffer to cut the power on the whole siding when the train bumps into it. The light on it should go off when the train is at the bumper and lit when the headlights of your train is on. If you want to keep the train stationary when you switch the turnout to another track, you have to take the track power behind the turnout and before the isolators and feed that into the buffer.

Generally, the setup is like this:

turnout-track feeder-isolator-siding-stop buffer with feeder

and connect the two feeders while keeping the polarity right.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Can it be that I have to have a DCC layout, instead of a DC layout for it to work ? I never heard of a Isolator to be used with DC, but I'm not an expert on it.

This is a DC only stop buffer. Essentially a microswitch with a diode that stops the train when it bumps into it, but lets it reverse out.

You need isolators at the turnout side of the stub track to allow the buffer to cut the power in the section. You also have to take power after the turnout and before the isolator for the turnout's power routing to work.

The buffer feeder, thanks to the diode, won't work with DCC at all. The feeder polarity must match the other feeders to avoid a short. Only feed it with the same track power you are using to feed the main track.

ps: You can use it without isolators, but that would disable the power routing effect of the turnout(s) leading to it in the exit direction.

Also you might want to look up block wiring and analog cab control for more info.

• Like 1

The buffer only lits up when there is either direct bog standard DC power on the track, or if there is a connection to the track that feeds the Tomix CL frequency power to the buffer to just light up the buffer track (hence the slot in the buffer itself).

• Like 1