Showcase express display shelves

Interesting display case system. It's extruded aluminum C sections with flange ways cut for train wheels and interlocking connector strips on the top and bottom so they can just be connected together to make multiple shelves. Also tracks on facing edges for plex strip to seal it up (slide them in from the ends). Then end caps pop on each side. Sections can be connected together with a small connector strip.

Not cheap but looks very clean and nice. Do have to have the room at one end of the shelves to slide out the plex though.

http://www.showcase-express.com/NScaleDisplayCase.aspx

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

The link doesn't work for me... I'll try again later.

EDIT: ok it works now. I considered this one before I got my wood cases.

For me, it was:

Big advantage: can fit entire trainset

Disadvantages: slide out inconvenience, mirror (rather than black),  not the warmth of wood - aluminum

Overall, a bit too geeky-looking for my great room but would work well in a train-specific room.

Edited by sandiway

Esthetics are a big consideration in a display piece like this to match taste and decor!

Btw black cardstock could be put in the slot behind or strips of wood veneer, etc. nice thing I think is the modularity of the system and that isn't very minimal in space and design. Slide out of each shelf does require that room, but does have the advantage of not dealing with a large glass front swing free and also only opens one shelf at a time for access so there are sealed up safe while fiddling.

I have a design I want to try to do wood but do a more minimal, Japanese esthetic in the look and potentially allow a whole shelf to be removed with the train to put onto the layout.

Display is really, really tough design! We run across it all the time in exhibit design. How to make a case or display w.o taking away from the thing it holds, but also frame things well and not be horrid to construct. Also any thing between the viewer and the item can cause all sorts of odd subconscious things as well. If we can do things with out boxes and glass we do! It's all worked out well when we have, but dust and uv at times must be stopped!

Cheers

Jeff

Agree that one's interpretation of Japanese aesthetics is key. 

That's why I did my layout on tatami. I'm gonna order more tatami for my 2nd layout...

nscalestation

I have two of these sets.  They actually look quite good.  Quite a few years ago my wife gave me the 2 ft, 10 section set which I use to display my collection of cars from conventions I've attended.  I more recently picked up a 4 ft, 10 section set.  6 of the sections are paired up end to end above the staging yard of my American prototype layout which holds equipment not currently on the layout.  The other 4 sections are above my desk and hold some of my Japanese prototype trains and buses.  I like the flexibility of this system.

• Like 1