Sayonara Fastech.......

jappomania

Hi!

I would only inform everyone that FASTECH 360 954 has been splitted and I think the intermediate cars will be cut up next days  :crybaby2:

for now head cars 1 and 8 are preserved inside Sendai depot....(I hope a better future, not like 955 cars already all destroyed)

Massimo

Why would they do that? They made a prototype, spent all they time, research and money on the project just to demolish it? Why not use the prototype?

Yeah, most of us heard this already when they moved the FasTech a while back when it was sent out for the torch. Bernard, you really got to get with the Yahoo lists, LOL.

CaptOblivious

Space! Money! It takes resources to maintain these prototypes. If they don't need to be used any more—the E5 is in production, right?—then why not recycle them? It's sad that the 360s and z are no more, yeah, but then their scrapping frees up resources for other things…like the next next vehicle :D

Why would they do that? They made a prototype, spent all they time, research and money on the project just to demolish it? Why not use the prototype?

It served its purpose.  These experimental trains are a maintenance superintendent's nightmare.  No spare parts. Whatever equipment was originally on the train may not be there now.  Now its time to make sardine cans.

To be honest, scrapping experimental trains in this day and age seem silly to me with all the CAD used in engineering. I can't think of any pre-production prototypes here in the states that goes to be scrapped after its testing has finished. GE, sends all their experimental back to Erie and they refit them back to production model stats and just sell them outright. EMD did the same.

I don't see why they just don't spec out the Z-trains with production components and send them in to service. Ok, so there will be two odd-balls with one-off body shells, but I don't believe all the internal components are hand-built for one train. The costs of doing this would be astronomical, impractical and unfeasible.

When I spent a year at Airbus as a technical writer back in 2007, I worked on the A380 project with a department devolping the HVAC system, we had neither the time or budget to hand craft experimental parts or components. We had some custom parts tweaked from OTS items, but very little was hand forged. If production on these one off parts were not acceptable for production we went back to the OTS parts as needed.