JR East announces E-956 "ALFA-X" test Shinkansen trainset

It seems a bit crazy that it will enter into service only in 2031.

I mean, 12 years of testing? what the heck...

Did the previous Shinkansen models take so long from test prototype to entering service?

disturbman

It won't enter service. As far as I understand, this is a technological demonstrator, an experimental train. What will enter commercial service in 2031 is a different train/design based on some of the technologies tested with this set.

• Like 1

Oh, I see! Thank you for the explanation!

Still, that's a long time for testing some technologies, a lot can change in 12 years.

I did a little search on the E5.

It's is based on the experimental train Fastech 360, which was delivered in 2005.

The E5 was put into service in 2011. So that makes it 6 years.

Edited by paolo
disturbman

It is.

But that's because JR East won't need any new rolling-stock before then. 2031 should correspond to the extension of the Hokkaido Shinkansen to Sapporo. In 2031 the first E5 sets would be 20 years old and will be quickly approaching the end of their service life.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised that the JR East "E8" trainset--which will replace the E5--will be derived from the E5 trainset probably by 2026 based on the tests of the ALFA-X trainset. At the same time, we'll see a narrower "E9" trainset, which will replace the E6 because of the need to run as fast as 360 km/h between Utsunomiya and Morioka, also be unveiled

Edited by Sacto1985
correct wording
  • Like 1

The prototype Shinkansen units have never received much love, MicroAce have done some of the original ones but after that I don't think there's anything, I for one won't be placing any bets.

(There was a semi-serious suggestion in one of the Japanese modelling magazines recently that the prototype units might be something for the Tomytec tetsukore range...)

Curious why you would say that? Unique train with lots of interest. no nasty licensing issues and just good pr for jr east.

jeff

• Like 2

Would it be a good idea to release a train people can never ride?  I suspect there are no seats in the interior just gauges and instruments.

18 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Would it be a good idea to release a train people can never ride?  I suspect there are no seats in the interior just gauges and instruments.

Just like Dr. Yellow? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Curious why you would say that? Unique train with lots of interest. no nasty licensing issues and just good pr for jr east.

jeff

Yeah I would think there would be significant interest in a model, and the manufacturer could add some hype by making it a limited run.  "Oh they're only making x,000 and then that's it.  Where's my wallet?"

• Like 1
5 hours ago, miyakoji said:

Yeah I would think there would be significant interest in a model, and the manufacturer could add some hype by making it a limited run.  "Oh they're only making x,000 and then that's it.  Where's my wallet?"

I try to suggest it every time MTP has a model suggestion questionnaire with this exact underlying thought. Would love to see some other prototypes be converted into models.

Still think it will never happen though. The benefit the Dr. Yellow and the special livery Shinkansens have is that there is not that many model changes are necessary to produce it. As I said in another thread that I can't find right now, the only manufacturer I can realistically see producing this train would be Micro Ace.

Yeah it is a one off train! I will mention it to our contact at jr east as I owe them a thank you note! Luckily they are an avid model railroader as well.

seems to be an interesting enough train a new mould would be in order, vacation trains get a lot of attention being one offs as well.

jeff

• Like 1

This may be the first time I really like an experimental Shinkansen design. It just feels already finished, and looks more sleek than any other Shinkansen in maybe ever.

• Like 2

Just adding my voice to those calling for a model of this, would be great! Or failing that hoping that JR East find that the particular nose I prefer (with the sort of bubble cockpit) performs the best in testing and the train the goes into production in reality has it... Either way, will be keeping my fingers crossed.