0 Shinkansen - Kato, Micro Ace or Tomix?

trainhoarder

trainhoarder

I am looking to buy one of the original, iconic 0 Series Shinkansens which are of course offered by all three major manufacturers. My question is, which one is the best? From my own research I would say the Kato but I haven't seen any in-depth reviews of the Micro Ace and Tomix ones which seem to be easier to find. Obviously as well there is the fact that Micro Ace is the only company to offer the 0 Shinkansen in their original 1964 condition.

Actually Tomix made both the 12 and the 16 car configurations in 2014, including lighted nosecone and all wheel pickups. There was also a first run 50th anniversary special set with the right car numbers.

Tomix also produced the 6-car 7000 subseries in both, fresh green and regular white/blue livery, with the latter even being equipped with all-wheel pickup.

I only have the Kato version, but I'd definitely recommend it.  Runs like a champ, and converting to the other couplers and DCC is quite easy.  The detail is quite good, and the model runs on surprisingly small radius track.  The pantographs are a little delicate, but only in the raised position.  I'd recommend switching to the more prototypical couplers (kato 11-703) as they greatly improve the looks and spacing between cars.

post-3846-0-23925700-1498944834_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Loco 1 hobby is a good source, never had any problems with them before.

Edit:

Looks like they have some of the 8 car sets, and the 8 car add on it stock too, in case you want a longer train, or miss the 6 car version.

http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/micro-ace/480-micro-ace-a9656.html

http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/shinkansen/481-micro-ace-a9657.html

Edited by Kiha66

Loco1hobby and modeltrainplus are two of the best shops out there, especially for export. They speak full English, are very customer oriented and both great chaps to boot. You can reach out to them on preorders, custom orders or questions and they will try their best to help. You can see threads on them in the retailer forum here.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1
trainhoarder

Sounds good...apart from P+P and a small handling charge, would there be any extra costs in your experience?

trainhoarder

Well I've bit the Bullet (Train), and ordered a four-car Tomix set from Hobbysearch. I'll order the two extra cars later so I can have a 6-Car Kodama set. My Japanese N gauge adventure has started!

• Like 1

Well I've bit the Bullet (Train), and ordered a four-car Tomix set from Hobbysearch. I'll order the two extra cars later so I can have a 6-Car Kodama set. My Japanese N gauge adventure has started!

Well done! Welcome aboard! Have fun!

Side note - usually it doesn't stop at 1 consists ~  :)

trainhoarder

I've already got my eye on a 100 Series...I'd quite like an EF66 at some point as well, they have character in spades.

Money was tight this month so I went for the cheaper Tomix one but I'd definitely buy MicroAce in the future.