Layout dismantling

Kb4iuj

A fellow modeler has decided to update his railroad. Hence, the process of unbuilding his layout.

Though, if any of you have built a large layout, then dismantled it. Well, I wonder how many people go on to build again but under the theme of a N-Trak or T-Trak layout. So as to remove that 3-4 foot section with just something visually different verse destroying the whole layout. Which is like throwing good money away.

Have a look - http://jaggy-bahn.blogspot.com

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Exactly. Why keep building big layouts which are nice. But, I guess it really depends on one space.

Just thought I'd toss this out to the galley, to see if many have came up with the same conclusion vs just selling all their stuff and buy the model train magazines. As say " screw all that buying stuff, let somebody else do it for a change".

I will be moving soon, and sadly the Jaggybahn is not particularly portable. So, change is afoot!

All the rolling stock is packed away, as are the structures, trees, and many of my cast rocks. I have lots more to undo, but it seems like 5 years of work should take about 5 nights to rip apart fully.

I am not enjoying this.

It's a Murphy's law of model railroading if you build a built in layout you will soon need to move. Corollary is if you build a modular layout worries about the previous law you won't have to move...

Always a conundrum. Personally I plan on splitting the difference and doing my home layout in sections that can unbolt and just make simple crates to move them. Something like 4'x6' max to make it out of the basement. Then can potentially get most of both worlds. Track would not have to have tract break at section joints, could just pull sections of track spanning joints and not meant to come apart and assemble a whole lot of times. Only rub with this plan is that the new digs would need a similar sized space for the new layout but something that could be planned for at least.

Modular comes at a price of track plans being pretty boring, but let's you play with others. Always tradeoffs.

Jeff

Exactly what I have built Jeff. Its a modular layout with track laid across module joins, so if it ever needs to move ,I can cut track or unsolder length of rail. Turnouts positioned so they don't cross joints. I have added a hinged drop down board on one end to enable continuous running and also because my shed is not long enough for extension of modules on one side. I can work on one module at a time with scenery and details which suits me as I am a slow modeller and scenicking the entire layout would end up with me getting frustrated at the work involved and lack of progress. Track has been laid for some time without ballast and this has enabled me to sort out issues encountered with derailments, etc.

• Like 1

It would be nice if some of the Japanese modeling magazine were to put together atleast a big book on module building and have tons of photos showing all the layouts/modules built out there and over the years. Then sold at HS.