DD200 announced

Davo Dentetsu

I just noticed the horsepower difference between this and the DE10 (800hp vs 1250/1350hp).  Japanese wiki says that the DE10's maximum tractive effort is 19500 kg, and the HD300, with only 670hp, can provide 20000kg of force.  I can't find this figure for the DD200, has anyone seen this information?  Could improvements in tech and design go a long way to making up for such a seemingly large difference in engine power output?

Das Steinkopf

I just noticed the horsepower difference between this and the DE10 (800hp vs 1250/1350hp).  Japanese wiki says that the DE10's maximum tractive effort is 19500 kg, and the HD300, with only 670hp, can provide 20000kg of force.  I can't find this figure for the DD200, has anyone seen this information?  Could improvements in tech and design go a long way to making up for such a seemingly large difference in engine power output?

The main difference is that that the DE10's are diesel hydraulics which have power from the engine mechanically transmitted to the axles, the HD300 and DD200's are diesel electrics using AC traction motors and the latest in traction control technology that would have minimal if any wheel slip compared to the DE10's.

Das Steinkopf

I'm feeling a great sense of irony here with the DE10 coming in to collect the locomotive that is most likely to have it consigned to the great razor blade in the sky, I really like the look of the DD200 as it has a MaK G/Vossloh style to it, mind you the asymmetric windows on the cab ends will take some getting used to.

• Like 2

The new EF210-300 series, -310 and -311, are released to traffic with -310 then being put on display in Kyoto Railway Museum:

• Like 1

Picked up from a Japan rail blog that the DD200 prototype was transited through Suita Depot in Osaka last week on its way to Kyushu as it has been assigned to the Mojika agency.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
12 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

Picked up from a Japan rail blog that the DD200 prototype was transited through Suita Depot in Osaka last week on its way to Kyushu as it has been assigned to the Mojika agency.

Given the rather forlorn looking state of a fair number of DE10's present at Moji Depot the diesel fleet in Kyushu really needs to be replenished,  I travelled through Shimonoseki a number of times when I was there and got to see DB500 which had replaced the DE10's used for shunting in the yard there.

34743832825_875e2c85ec_z_d.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

Got a trip to Japan next month so would like to see and photograph the DD200 prototype in action.

Does anyone know or has anyone picked up any information about where it is currently in use?

From You-Tube, I saw that it was north of Tokyo a few months ago ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjz1vCGJ0-U ) but I have not managed to track it down since.

I'm going to initially be in Nagoya then close to Omiya so I would hate to find after my visit that I had just missed it being around there.

Edited by cteno4
Added youtube embed

DD200-1 departing Kawasaki factory.  Tiny windows, seems like they could have given the crew better visibility.  Video by 4011tama1.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, nah00 said:

I thought it had ditch lights at first but then I realized those were the headlights. Unless I'm missing something. 

It does have that appearance doesn't it.  Did Conrail have some locos with the ditch lights above the anti-climber?  I saw an NS engine like that, I thought it was inherited from Conrail.

Conrail did (SD70MACs) but they were ordered when the Conrail and NS merger was being finalized so they were ordered to NS standards with ditch lights in anticipation of it. As far as I know that's pretty much the case with any Conrail diesel you see with ditch lights: it was acquired or refurbished after the merger was a pretty sure thing. 

Edited by nah00
  • Like 1