Have you guys seen these ?

Kb4iuj

Protein Cars: These cars have a distinct "cap" which replicates the appearance of the roll-up tarp covering that protects the cars' contents from the elements.

Video interview: 

I couldn't locate anything on loading or unloading operations, and searches for protein gondola mostly turned up images of Venice.

I couldn't locate anything on loading or unloading operations, and searches for protein gondola mostly turned up images of Venice.

The video has an aerial picture of a transfer facility. Since these are rebuilt coal gondolas for industrial grain, it's top load and either rotary or elevator out at least i don't know about any bottom doors installed.

Edited by kvp

If you look on the left side of the prototype it looks like there's a hinge that lets the top open when the car is tilted. I don't think they'd be able to install a bottom door on these without compromising the structural integrity of the car itself. 

Funny thing is I see these all the time on Norfolk Southern coal and coke runs for the mills here and elsewhere and the thought of them carrying even animal feed....blech. 

As noted somewhere they use a canvas cover. Which means they release one side and two ends then rotate the contents. And since it's canvas when it rains the contents gets wet - hence the race to unload the contents.

Ah, that was what I was wondering, if they still rotated the cars to unload.  Doesn't seem like many rotary dumpers out in the farm lands.

I didn't notice any mention of canvas, and find that unlikely - the danger of spoilage comes from the "live" nature of the cargo itself.

From the kato page

Protein Cars: These cars have a distinct "cap" which replicates the appearance of the roll-up tarp covering that protects the cars' contents from the elements

Assume the tarp is probably plasticized and waterproof.

Jeff

Ah, that was what I was wondering, if they still rotated the cars to unload. Doesn't seem like many rotary dumpers out in the farm lands.

They can be top loaded, even directly from a harvester or at any hopper loader grain tower. The unloading is done at the processing facility ballon loop track shown on the video where the cars could be either rotary dumped or an elevator tube could suck out the contents the same way like a grain barge is unloaded. The latter type has portable variants, so in theory unloading would be possible at any siding.

"protein gondola" puts me in mind of a small boat full of tofu passing under the Rialto bridge.

The proteine bro boat, followed by the whey train. All operated by Do U Even Lift Inc.

• Like 3

The proteine bro boat, followed by the whey train. All operated by Do U Even Lift Inc.

Wouldn't the whey train go first since it has right of whey....?

....I'll see myself to the door...

• Like 2

I've ordered both 8 car sets as I saw a train of them while I was railfanning on Curtis Hill in 2012 and they reminded me of Queensland Rail's practice of repurposing old coal hoppers to carry grain by fitting them with removable tops or tarps.

One would assume so, but even stranger for a while during the 1980's and 90's apples for juicing were hauled in open top hoppers from southern Queensland to a processing plant in Brisbane. If there were some in a train you could smell the apples for a while after it passed and sometimes the loaders got a bit artistic and would alternate cars with red and green apples. Unfortunately while they were running I never thought to take any photos.