An interesting concept that at first glance sounds, at least, more practical than the overhead "bus".

An articulated bus, that looks like a tram and it has no tracks.

The only guideway is a virtual one. it's controlled by radio signals.

Still beside that, i don't see many advantages, besides 3:40, the ability to turn and avoid (idiotic) jams, over the similar and simpler translohr system.

In short it's an overly complex hi-capa bus.

Wait.

At 3:08, the interior of the cab. No steering wheel? Then how it's supposed to change direction like at 3:40?

Don't tell me that changing route is also radio-controlled!

Edit: New video:

Actually,  it has sensors that detect the dotted white line.

Mmmmh... interesting. So somone could hijack the train with a bit of paint?

@bill937ca

That's the translohr system i was speaking about. It's a rubber-tyred bus with a steel guiding rail. The chinese one has no rail. Just a dotted white line.

Edited by Socimi

Actually,  it has sensors that detect the dotted white line.

Mmmmh... interesting. So somone could hijack the train with a bit of paint?

Now what if part of the road is dug up at night and just asphalt is restored? Or if there is a sewer break or sinkhole?  You loose your guideway.

Now what if part of the road is dug up at night and just asphalt is restored? Or if there is a sewer break or sinkhole?  You loose your guideway.

Or some jokers just draw some new lines over night.

In the end it's just another "revolutionary" stillborn concept from China.

I think the pentagon had mail bins that ran around the hallways following lines on the floor in the 70s

Jeff

• Like 1

I think the pentagon had mail bins that ran around the hallways following lines on the floor in the 70s

WAIT A MINUTE!

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

Yep, I kinda remember one of those making of star wars specials mentioning that came from the pentagon and to take analogies on from there...

Jeff

Random memory -- The laser phew sound was made using a knee hammer to strike a tensioning wire on a telephone pole!

• Like 1

The line followers are normal, some hospitals use them as they are cheaper than staff. This type follows a guide wire embedded into the floor:

The chinese bus has a steering wheel and a driver, but the system follows the lines automatically. If the line is lost or a detour is needed, then the steering is done manually. Classic bus looking multiple articulated buses are not really a new thing and there are battery overhead electric variants too:

this one is from the 70ies:

and a 3 section trolleybus:

What i don't really understand in the chinese bus is the steering of the 2nd and later sections as the front unit is a conventional 1-A electric bus, but the trailer units seem to be two axle cars with no apparent steering. (the classic bus layout is either a 1-B+1+1 or a 1-1+1+B, while the ancient 70ies BRT variant was a 1-B+B+1)

The only 1-A+1-1+1-1 arrangement i know of are the ancient UAZ451 park buses:

http://hbweb.hu/vtkall/mikro.htm

EDIT: I think i found the solution, the trailers are passively streered by the drawbar:

and a 1-A+1-1+1 variant, almost reaching the chinese size, but still looks like a bus:

Edited by kvp

We had driverless trains in the warehouse here following a cable in the floor. Nothing new. Except in China!

EDIT: I think i found the solution, the trailers are passively streered by the drawbar:

I don't really understand the advantage of these against normal articulated buses. I don't get the point of these super duper ultra-long articulated buses anyway, because a standard tram can achieve the same but then with better comfort and reliability. Sure, articulated buses might be cheaper over the short term, but when there's high passenger demand trams make much more sense.

Edited by Densha

I don't really understand the advantage of these against normal articulated buses. I don't get the point of these super duper ultra-long articulated buses anyway, because a standard tram can achieve the same but then with better comfort and reliability. Sure, articulated buses might be cheaper over the short term, but when there's high passenger demand trams make much more sense.

The two axle trailers are as large as a double articulated trailer and detachable in off peak times. Like tatra pcc trams running in 3 or 2 car sets.

The extra long buses are cheaper than trams since road maintenance doesn't have to be paid by the transit company, unlike rail maintenance. So the buses cost more in total but others pay the difference. This is why highway buses are cheaper in Japan than travelling by train.

Imho the chinese system looks less impressive with a bit of research, but the idea of making the buses look like trams is intetesting and nobody really makes 2 axle trailers loger than one and a half sections except this company.

Jeff

That would be an IED these days.

• Haha 1