Hello from Utrecht, The Netherlands

oenckie

Hi all,

After having spent years with H0 trains (Marklin three-rail system, digital) while living at my parents house, I decided to buy a house for myself.

Only thing was, that house was quite small.....

So sold all my H0 trainstuff to my dad (who is in the proces of building a large layout at the moment.

And decided to start collecting N gauge instead.

Fast foward ten years, and again im in the proces of moving.

This time I moved into the house of my girlfriend.

However this house is also to small to build a good layout.

(Most of my stuff is in storage anyway :()

But not so long ago I 'discovered' Japanese trains, and started to collect those.

Only problem is, it starts to be an addiction haha.

Somehow I like both the Shinkansens and EMU/DMUs.

To much choices, to low on cash...

(Especially since my other hobbys (collecting 1/400 planes and building 1/72 planes) also need some attention.

Knowing myself the collection will grow very fast.

But we'll see.

Hopefully my girlfriend and me can find a nice house together, so I can start a layout myself sometime.

For now, slowly filling the cabinets hahaha.

Greetings from Utrecht!

Marco

Edited by oenckie
  • Like 3
adrianKeith

Greetings from California! 

I, too, recently became majorly addicted to Japanese trains/Japanese transit after a trip to Japan this past year. By the end of my trip I was searching everywhere for anything and everything train related. Luckily even had the chance to visit the Kyoto Railway Museum which was a ton of fun. 

I don't have much space to work with being in an apartment so I'm trying to figure out something small I can put together. For now, I've been playing with Bandai's B-Trains. They're a lot of fun to put together and apparently I can swap some parts out to get them running on a small oval shaped track. For now, sounds like I'll have to settle with a small oval shaped coffee table layout :)

Welcome, again!

Edited by adrianKeith

Hi Marco,

welcome to the forum, glad you found us! Lots of folks have the situation of limited space and several ways to try and get around that even on the short term. 

japanese trains can definitely be addictive, like you found, so many choices!

few examples of paying trains in small places for ideas.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

cheers

jeff

serotta1972

You are in good company Marco - I too like Shinkansens, EMU's, DMU's and don't forget Steam, Electric and Diesel Locos, Freight trains, and trams, etc.....

Welcome to the forums! I was born and raised in Utrecht. Lived there for an odd 19 years in total... A nice town which has always been on the rise and improving itself. Doâr gebeurd vân âlle hând woar!

IIRC the railclub there had a member who was into Japanese prototype modelling for the N-scale modular branch, but not sure if he's still around... I haven't visited a show in Europe for a looooong time.

• Like 1
scotspensioner

Welcome to the forum.I visited Utrecht many years ago and had a walk around part of it as a break from watching trains.i liked it!

IIRC the railclub there had a member who was into Japanese prototype modelling for the N-scale modular branch, but not sure if he's still around... I haven't visited a show in Europe for a looooong time.

He is, the Utrecht Railclub even has a few Japanese modules. I saw them last year.

Hi Marco, I was in Utrecht 2 days ago visiting the Spoorweg Museum, really enjoyed it. That was my first visit to there.

I know the feeling of model railway collecting addiction :)

Have great fun

Best Wishes