MicroAce - New Releases

disturbman

Yes,

I'll be experimenting with a few other suppliers soon.  HS has reduced their discounts.

Apart from that, the strong yen isn't helping any of us.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Wowy... $550 USD at today's exchange. That's pretty insane.

I don't get what they'd do this set since it's essentially the same as the recent Tomix set, albeit a much newer mold. I would think the interior will look vastly superior and probably finer details on the exterior but Shinkansen are generally featureless aside from their shape... And no power conducting couplers either. I am with Massimo on this. Why not J0/J1 or the pre-700 series panto conversions. So a little confused at the moment.  ???

On another note, the Popondetta page is showing a 25m power unit. Now I regret selling my MA Dr. Yellow to Massimo!!! Looks like the perfect upgrade/replacement for my MA 0 series (1964 debut). That thing is exhibiting the same signs of cracking/degenerating chassis.

EDIT: Anyone else notice the couplers on the exploded diagram of the chassis?

10168195b.jpg

Looks to me (and by the description of the 300 series on HS' page) that it will indeed be equipped with regular body mounted rapidos (Tomix mount) as it says micro couplers are optional. So maybe the chassis WON'T work on prior Shinkansen after all... Very interesting (and actually kind of glad) that they're ditching their current weird coupling system.

CaptOblivious

It also says it's for a 300 series, which makes me think it's going to be incompatible in more than just the couplers; would the old underbody fit the frame? Could you use your old trucks? I doubt it…

Martijn Meerts

Definitely looks more detailed than pretty much any other N-scale I've seen.

As for the rapidos, MicroAce seems a bit inconsistent there.. Their shinkansen usually have some custom couplers (makes sense), but then EMUs and DMUs which you hardly ever need to decouple use rapidos :) The old Keisei Skyliner and the Rapi:t have rapidos as well :)

Martijn Meerts

Haven't gotten around to replacing the couplers yet.. I need so many of them ;)

I've recently started going through my collection 1 by 1, installing decoder(s), assigning addresses, installing details/decals etc. So far I've managed to do my EF61-58 and the Orient Express cars, and that's about it =) Took about an hour just to install all the tiny bits and pieces on the EF61...

Now I really need to finish a couple of diorama's so I can take pictures of everything in a decent setting rather than with a bland white background.

Or Micro-Ace's own TN couplers.

There is a reason why I didn't mention those... ;) There are not as good as Tomix's. If it's too fit MicroAce's body mounted couplers instead of the rapidos, I prefer to stick to the rapidos.

I got a Notice from Hobby Search that the Skyliner is on stock, so currently I am waiting for the payment request letter. I hope it will arrive soon.

looks like MA are proud of this model not often they post in their news articles about 1 specific model.

http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/news/kiha72.html 

by looks of it it does look like they stepped up a notch in detail.

now if they could only step up another notch and get rid of their ridiculous rapidos.

Is that the A7890 due to be released in June?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yes.

This month it seems that MicroAce has announced only three sets, all to be released in June! If it's true, that's quite meagre.

I'm also surprised they are re-doing a Yufuin No Mori set since, if I remember correctly, they did re-released that train a couple of months ago.

I'm also surprised they are re-doing a Yufuin No Mori set since, if I remember correctly, they did re-released that train a couple of months ago.

that's a different model KiHa72 (small windows) the previous model was KiHa71 (large windows) released in 3 and 4 car set (2160 and 2162)

I don't remember that MA re-released this one months ago, maybe is Tomix? (but one year ago...)

Ciao

Massimo

p.s. for me is better if only 3 new items has been announced, after 3 X 300, 1 x 500-7000, 1 x E1 Max, 1 x E2-1000 special set and some new Kato steam locos my C.C. need a water cooling system...maybe I ask to Thermaltake or Cooler Master

• Like 1

A Yufuin Kiha 71 or 72 is certainly on my shopping list, even though it will look odd running through Shin-Kofu.  I was going to use it as an excuse to venture into the Tomix HG range.  Does the Tomix model (92310) come with TN or Rapido couplers? 

It is hard to tell from the photos.  Also, I'm curious to know if the real Kiha 72 is a complete redesign from the ground up or is it a refurb of the 71?  Does anyone know the answer to this?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Ground up no refurb. too mich changes for a refurb.

The hg range i have all use tn couplers. though it may vary what model hg are you looking at and i will tell you.

I have several HG models. well worth it imo.

I've not bought the last Tomix release (4 sets are already too much for me, maybe I sell one or two....)

old Tomix release 92310 (4 cars renewed) and 92312 (3 cars original) have TN coupler like all the other HG sets I bought, so I think is not an optional like the normal set.

Microace sets (2160 and 2162) have the normal rapido coupler but you can upgrade it with Tomix TN

ciao

Massimo

Massimo,

Excluding the couplers, how would you compare the MA quality with Tomix?  I'm thinking about both detail and on-track operations.

How about in-car lighting?  Have you any experience with this?

Cheers

The_Ghan

:grin Feels like someone has never ordered a MA unit before.  :laugh:

I'd say quality is comparable in general. The only thing I dislike with Tomix is all the things you have to had yourself even on HG products (parts, decals/stickers) at least MA products come "complete". But Tomix HG are great and have usually a special boxing. MA products need to be upgraded to Tomix TN couplers, usually easy (never had a problem but Keitaro can say something different with its Kiha 91).

Other difference, it's harder/impossible to get replacement parts with MA. But they started to release some of their motors.

Internal lightening is as good as any other brand. Some times you need to snap off a part to make it fit.

Edit: at the end the products are quite comparable but both have some trade offs, you just need to know which one you want to live with.