N gauge skyscrapers

philiprporter

philiprporter

Hello everyone - I thought I would introduce myself as I am new to this forum and new to modelling Japanese N-gauge - I've modelled a bit in UK N-gauge and OO gauge but realised that with a hectic lifestyle I needed something small that if need be could be broken down and moved at short notice - thats when I came across Unitrack and after doing a litle bit of internet searching I realised that the Kato and Tomix Shinkansen models were truly excellent and having admired the real thing in Japan I decided that I would have a go at modelling Japanese N-gauge - I'm eagerly awaiting a 500 series shinkansen and the Unitrack viaduct set with canted curves and am realising that this is going to become an expensive but hopefully fulfilling obsession!

My question is, aside from the Kato ready made models does anyone else make any skyscraper kits? I nnow Atlas used to do them but they appear to be obselete now and if I tot up the cost of buying 10x (and probably more!) ready made Kato structures I realise that my bank manager is going to be having sleepless nights!! Are there any alternative structures out there or can they be built from scratch relatively easily?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and will look forward to sharing my modelling efforts with you in due course - there is some really inspirational stuff on this forum!!

Und here too: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/City-Town-Moderne-Architektur-in-N__W0QQ_armrsZ1 It's a link given by Domino in his thread about the Danish exhibition (http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1293.50.html).

I think you can also peek a look at bc6 thread about his own attempt to scratch build a Skyscraper: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1505.0.html

And then you can also kitbash some existing kist to add heights. You could, for exemple combining low rise kits from Kato or Tomix together and have a high rise at the end. I've seen some exemple of that on Flikr. Someone was building a North American city (like New York) with existing kits. it was quite impressive and name something like "my N Scale city". Sorry I don't have the link anymore.

philiprporter

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice everyone! Feel a bit stupid that I wasnt able to find that info by the searching I had done to dat! Bowled over by the mirror tile skyscraper in one of those links - that looks amazing!! On a related note, does anyone know where you can buy those mini-LCD screens to run videos on?? The full size versions are everywhere in Japan and it would be great to have a couple on the layout - the examples I've seen really add something to the larger model structures.

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice everyone! Feel a bit stupid that I wasnt able to find that info by the searching I had done to dat! Bowled over by the mirror tile skyscraper in one of those links - that looks amazing!! On a related note, does anyone know where you can buy those mini-LCD screens to run videos on?? The full size versions are everywhere in Japan and it would be great to have a couple on the layout - the examples I've seen really add something to the larger model structures.

Basically youre looking for a PMP (Personal Media Player) they come in all shapes and sizes. Some PMPs if not most have touch screens now a days, I have a Cowon O2 PMP which has a nice screen size and is a touch screen device and has 32GB of storage. The O2 lets you access the controls without removing the device from its enclosure which is a good thing. There are tons of companies that make PMPs, Apple, Creative, Cowon, iRiver and so on. The limiting factor is what features you want and how much youre willing to pay. Ive included a link that gives a broad view of what is out there PMP wise http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=personal%20media%20player%20reviews&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi hope it helps.

philiprporter

Basically youre looking for a PMP (Personal Media Player) they come in all shapes and sizes. Some PMPs if not most have touch screens now a days, I have a Cowon O2 PMP which has a nice screen size and is a touch screen device and has 32GB of storage. The O2 lets you access the controls without removing the device from its enclosure which is a good thing. There are tons of companies that make PMPs, Apple, Creative, Cowon, iRiver and so on. The limiting factor is what features you want and how much youre willing to pay. Ive included a link that gives a broad view of what is out there PMP wise http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=personal%20media%20player%20reviews&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi hope it helps.

Thanks so much for this - just ordered a TeckNet V80 from Amazon for £25 and from the blurb it seems to do what I need - 1.8" screen which is about the size I was looking for and if it does the job then it seems a reasonably economical way to install a couple of model screens - watch this space!

Hey philiprporter Im glad I was able to help out, what you selected does look good for a LCD screen on the side of a building. I cant wait to see how your building comes along. 

I think im going to buy a PMP aswell, where can i find video files to put in to it, like Japanese add that run in Japan TV and so on ??

Brian domino

Brian - Did you get your skyscraper you won on ebay?

Yes i did, just to bad it dident get here last week for the Exhibition  :sad:

Its a beauty , i also got a new one from my friend Wolfgang in Gremany, i really love his work.

Regards

brian

post-164-13569923108676_thumb.jpg

post-164-13569923110829_thumb.jpg

post-164-13569923112579_thumb.jpg

post-164-13569923114228_thumb.jpg

post-164-13569923116073_thumb.jpg

Its a beauty , i also got a new one from my friend Wolfgang in Gremany, i really love his work.

Regards

brian

Brian,

That Atlast Skyscraper model was built by my friend Jonathan on Ebay. I also bought this model from him too.

4202208187_9e0463cfb0.jpg

He's got an awesome talent. He's also one of my flickr contacts. You can see his other ebay structures and some of his on his link here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45970544@N03/

Keep an eye out  as he's going to make an awesome HO Scale CMR kitbash of the St Paul building soon.

Cheers, Bob

He's also got his own website where you can discuss him making models for you too.

Regards

brian

Brian,

That Atlast Skyscraper model was built by my friend Jonathan on Ebay. I also bought this model from him too.

4202208187_9e0463cfb0.jpg

He's got an awesome talent. He's also one of my flickr contacts. You can see his other ebay structures and some of his on his link here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45970544@N03/

Keep an eye out  as he's going to make an awesome HO Scale CMR kitbash of the St Paul building soon.

Cheers, Bob

He's also got his own website where you can discuss him making models for you too.

Hello bob

Your friend is a real genius with these kits,i love he`s building, i have two buildings that he build for me, and he always send me a email with photo of new stuff he has build before he puts them on ebay for sale,nice guy.

I dont think i have a link to his website, can you please post it here, thanks

domino

Brian