Dumb question alert...

VentureForth

VentureForth

What is micro ace? Is it a subsidiary of Tomix? High end? Low end?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Micro Ace is separate model train manufacturer.  I believe it does use some Tomix parts, mainly power drives in some of its products.   Its trains tend to be a mix of JR and private railway trains.  Micro Ace does not do repairs for foreign customers from what I understand and bodies can be very hard to remove (almost permanently attached).

Edited by bill937ca

"Win" (ウィン) was the company (long defunct) which used Tomix drive parts.

MicroAce outsourced to China in the early 2000s, which a year or two back nearly killed them due to unspecified issues. Never had any issues removing bodies to effect repairs (mainly removing the membrane which they put between body and chassis on multiple units which fouls the mechanism after a while).

MicroAce is more expensive than Kato, Tomix and GreenMax, but is also known for producing "minority" models that Kato and Tomix wouldn't touch.

The produce lots of odder trains like painted trains. About the same to disassemble except a few of the axle to bogie mechs are a puzzle to pull apart to clean if they get gunked. They will do repairs when sent back thru the dealer, at least they use to have not done that in like 10 years. They don't sell any spare parts.

Jeff

VentureForth

Neat stuff! MicroAce actually made the Shuttle Maihama. I used to ride that train in high school. But... $200 on the eBay market for a three car set is steep. But it looks really nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My source - I neglected to copy over the "sometimes" :

while I do understand that MA is still much cheaper as compared with the European and English market trains, they are still costly as compared with their fellow producers Kato, Tomix and sometimes Greenmax...

MA used to be consistently cheaper that GM. But post 2015 factory issues. They seem to be on par with eachother. Some models more, some less.