New Tomix TN Couplers

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Tomix is releasing three new kinds of TN couplers as an upgrade to some common older ones. Here is a conversion table, so you can know if the new couplers work with your rolling stock:

[table]

New

Replaces Old

comments

black Scharfenberg type

black knuckle type

grey knuckle type

[/table]

interesting that there is no replacement for the grey Scharfenbergs…

And a review of the new 0336:

http://to-industry.at.webry.info/200908/article_1.html

Scharfenberg, Scharfenberg...

So it will change the Micro Ace/Tomix coupler table as follow:

[table]

Micro Ace Coupler |Tomix TN |Tomix New TN

F0001

F0002

(n/a)

F0003

F0004

[/table]

Right?

CaptOblivious

Yeah, I lost myself between screens. Thanks! Now I would be able to order the new couplers to fit my microace fleet. :)

I know! The 0372 (grey knuckles) have been sold out for a while, but I need these to complete my Micro Ace Skyliner and one car on my Tomix Yumekuukan…just have to wait until they are released in early Oct.

CaptOblivious

I'm updating the chart to include the part nos. for individual couplers, in addition to the six-packs

[table]

Description Micro Ace Old Tomix * 6 Old Tomix * 1 New Tomix *6 New Tomix *1

Black Scharfenberg F0001 03341 JC43/JC282 0336 JC0349

Gray Scharfenberg F0002 03353 JC25 n/a n/a

Black Knuckle F0003 0371 JC54 0374 JC6353

Gray Knuckle F0004 0372 JC55 0375 ???

[/table]

1 In some cases, you can substitute 0331's, which have a buffer under the coupler, and a slightly different mounting tab. The Tomix 209-0, for example, can be fitted with either, according to the instructions.

2 I can't tell the difference between the JC43 and JC28, just looking at photos. Is there a difference?

3 In some cases, you can substitute 0332's, which have a buffer under the coupler, and a slightly different mounting tab.

BTW just thought I'd add my 2 cents regarding the "new" self-centering TN couplers - they are VERY fiddly and fall apart very very easily. Make sure you work on a big table and have a bright flashlight ready. These things fall apart so easily when getting installed. And the little spring tends to fly off in all directions. They're nice, I think I prefer the old non-centering couplers. Also some of the new ones don't work as well as the older ones on Microace models...

CaptOblivious

BTW just thought I'd add my 2 cents regarding the "new" self-centering TN couplers - they are VERY fiddly and fall apart very very easily. Make sure you work on a big table and have a bright flashlight ready. These things fall apart so easily when getting installed. And the little spring tends to fly off in all directions. They're nice, I think I prefer the old non-centering couplers. Also some of the new ones don't work as well as the older ones on Microace models...

Having installed a set of the "new" ones on a Micro Ace model, I can confirm their disposition to explode. But how do you mean they don't work as well on MA models? I didn't have a problem getting them to fit once I learned a couple tricks (detailed on my blog, no link handy just now unfortunately).

I agree, with Don here. In fact I have two MA sets fitted with Tomix TN couplers. One came allready equiped fwith the old version and is a pita. They constantly explode, even once fitted. They even fell from the shell from time to time. I fitted the other set myself with the new version and, if they easily explode when manipulated, they work like a charm. I didn't have any problem until now with them.

But how do you mean they don't work as well on MA models?

Fitment issues. The clearances were simply too tight. They would not install cleanly into the MA underbody. Once installed, it was too tight and the coupler would just explode as you say. The swingout part of the coupler would catch on the car body. I had to swap them out with another set that had the old couplers. This was on .. Umm.. Crap now I can't remember which set it was but was one of the more recent MA releases.

Yeah, it works quite well. A little push and everything just fit fine.

Also, if one coupler explodes and you loose the spring. These couplers seem to work fine without the spring that auto-centers it. I don't know if a whole train could be equiped like that, but it doesn't seem to bother my train to have one without a spring.

I would never have try this if Don haven't hinted that it might be ok.