JR related podcasts?

adrianKeith

adrianKeith

Hi all,

I have a total of nearly 3 hours of driving every day, to and from work and so I listen to a number of podcasts. With my recent obsession regarding everything Japan Rail, I was looking for one but came up empty. I might be missing but the iTunes store doesn't seem to turn up anything. Maybe an episode here or there but nothing strictly dedicated to the history, today and the future of JR (at least, not in English!)...

So I was thinking, I had always wanted to start a podcast. However, my problem with this particular subject is that I really don't know much (yet!). I try to read or watch as much as I can in my off time. I've really been enjoying Japan Railway Journal episodes on YouTube as well reading posts here on the forum and blogs I happen to stumble on.

Would anyone be interested in starting a podcast centered around all things Japan Rail? We can maybe come up with a structure for the podcast here (topics of discussion, format of the show, frequency of releases, etc, etc.) 

I wouldn't mind getting the ball rolling for someone else either since I really don't have any expertise on JR trains or trains in general. We could split the show on current Japan train related events then talk about new releases or have special guests come on and talk about their latest projects, layouts or anything so long as it's Japan railroad related content! Honestly, just talking about this has me excited but again, not being any kind of authority on the subject, I may not be well suited to start this endeavor. All I can say is, I would really love to have a JR podcast in my favorite podcast list that I can listen to weekly or every two weeks even. Heck, I'd settle for once a month at this point. I feel like there's so much content that could be covered there'd be virtually no end to the podcast. 

Well! That's it for now! What do you all think?

Edited by adrianKeith
  • Like 2

Adrian,

the big 800lb gorilla with this is content creation. its really a lot of work to write, narrate and edit a podcast. We had a whole wiki system with the previous version of the forum and it was hard to get folks to produce much in the way of content for it and finally closed it.

sorry dont mean to be a wet blanket, its just creating decent content takes a lot of time and effort! I do it for a living and this is the eternal loop of telling clients content creation will take three times longer and 3 times harder than they think it could be, they never believe me, but usually find out the hard way! technology does help this step much at all.

there are a few model train pod casts out there and one of the originators of the forum (captoblivious) was on one of them for like a 45 min interview on japanese trains, but thats the only one ive every heard with Japanese train content.

im not sure if a lot of the jr train stuff would lend itself very well to audio only as place things usually work better with accompanying maps and tech stuff usually best with illustrations and diagrams.

If you get something going the forum can be a good route to publicize it, thats usually the hardest thing as well with a new podcast.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
adrianKeith

Adrian,

the big 800lb gorilla with this is content creation. its really a lot of work to write, narrate and edit a podcast. We had a whole wiki system with the previous version of the forum and it was hard to get folks to produce much in the way of content for it and finally closed it.

sorry dont mean to be a wet blanket, its just creating decent content takes a lot of time and effort! I do it for a living and this is the eternal loop of telling clients content creation will take three times longer and 3 times harder than they think it could be, they never believe me, but usually find out the hard way! technology does help this step much at all.

there are a few model train pod casts out there and one of the originators of the forum (captoblivious) was on one of them for like a 45 min interview on japanese trains, but thats the only one ive every heard with Japanese train content.

im not sure if a lot of the jr train stuff would lend itself very well to audio only as place things usually work better with accompanying maps and tech stuff usually best with illustrations and diagrams.

If you get something going the forum can be a good route to publicize it, thats usually the hardest thing as well with a new podcast.

cheers

jeff

Hey Jeff,

Totally get where you're coming from when you talk about content creation. It would undoubtedly be a significant undertaking but I don't think impossible. Out of curiosity, what does your line of work look like and would you mind expanding on the content creation part? I wouldn't mind diving into the content creation myself especially given how much I've already enjoyed learning about everything JR. BTW, I don't mind the healthy dose of reality :) I already have pretty limited time as it is for my own personal ventures (learning Japanese in my off-time, attempting a career-switch into something a bit different from what I do now) so I get where you're coming from. However, I figured seeing that it's a product built in my leisure time we wouldn't quite be under any kind of strict requirements or deadlines or beholden to stakeholders. 

I did see the post about captoblivious but haven't yet given it a listen. I just found that because there weren't any specifically dedicated to Japanese trains it could be a good starting point! 

Definitely see your point about accompanying visuals for the podcast but it could be a great way to direct people to the forum or get the Wiki back up and running as a way for both to play off of each other.

I'm definitely no subject-matter expert in digital content creation. I've only just begun listening to what it would take to create a podcast but would like to see what the interest is like among forum members in hopping on and just chatting about what people want to hear about, what people really love and enjoy about Japanese trains etc. 

I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Edited by adrianKeith

Ive done exhibit design and multimedia software for the last 30 years. This includes gobs and gobs of content. from cdrom encyclopedias to interactive pov exhibits to content sites (but ive been getting out of the web biz as content is actually shrinking there oddly).

Really digital media is nothing too new in content development other than the software aspect to allow more random access or mix and match materials. the actual content creation is the same as its been for the last few millennia of writing, drawing, speaking, and acting! Big ones are of course writing, narration (requires writing first), illustration, photography and video shooting and production. elements of the production have gotten a bit fancier and flashier with newer technologies, but that speed advancement has been slowing rapidly the last decade. Really 98% is good old fashion work, writing, illustration and video production. The other element is good content design to begin with to determine what it is you will be creating and keeping it in scope with your resources and giving it the appropriate structure and using the media as the content tells you to not the other way around of choosing media and cramming content into it as an afterthought (pattern these days).

the wiki project never really got off the ground. there just was not the resources of folks willing to spend the time to produce it. there are a lot of retular wikipedia pages out there in english and japanese on japanese rail so its a bit odd trying to reproduce that here when done well elsewhere. wikipedia also has the whole infrastructure and editorial system to work on the articles plus it has the public's confidence these days as well.

Id love to have a pod cast as well as i have 4+ hrs of driving on the weekends usually and listen to books on tape and courses all the time. But I just dont know of anyone thats expressed the desire and has the time and ability to produce something like this. maybe someone will surprise us! 

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
adrianKeith

Just to continue on this train of thought, what types of topics would you like to hear about from an all Japanese Railway podcast? :)

We have such a diverse group of interests within this community that everything appeals.

Do something that you would like to talk about. Others will follow if inclined to do so with their interests.

• Like 2
adrianKeith

Are there any regular Japanese podcasts that could be translated?

I haven't looked into this but speaking only for myself, I wouldn't be able to translate them. However, this is a good idea to find some so I can immerse myself in the language more as I'm trying to learn Japanese.

VentureForth

I haven't looked into this but speaking only for myself, I wouldn't be able to translate them. However, this is a good idea to find some so I can immerse myself in the language more as I'm trying to learn Japanese.

LOL.  Me either.  I could probably get the gist of 50%, but if I tried to translate a 30 minute show, it'd come out something like "This week, JR East did something new!"

• Like 1
adrianKeith

LOL.  Me either.  I could probably get the gist of 50%, but if I tried to translate a 30 minute show, it'd come out something like "This week, JR East did something new!"

Hah, hey! 50% is 50% more than me at this point. I'd be able to get, "Good morning!"  :laughing6:

• Like 1

Podcast about Japanese Railway is a good ide, but I agree with Jeff that the making of the content requests a lot (I mean a LOT) of time. If there would be one podcast in this topic I would like to hear about the following:

- Information about new trains or new services

- Interesting facts or events from the past / historical background of a topic

- Statistical bullshits like how percent of the passengers have to wait for the next train due to the crowd on the Yamanote line :)

- Information about upgrading tracks / stations

- Interesting rules about JR (for example: why they have to say loudly the meaning of the signs during driving)

- JR related magazin releases, including its content

etc.

I know these information are available on the net, but if I would listen to a JR themes podcast these topics would interested me.

• Like 1
adrianKeith

Podcast about Japanese Railway is a good ide, but I agree with Jeff that the making of the content requests a lot (I mean a LOT) of time. If there would be one podcast in this topic I would like to hear about the following:

- Information about new trains or new services

- Interesting facts or events from the past / historical background of a topic

- Statistical bullshits like how percent of the passengers have to wait for the next train due to the crowd on the Yamanote line :)

- Information about upgrading tracks / stations

- Interesting rules about JR (for example: why they have to say loudly the meaning of the signs during driving)

- JR related magazin releases, including its content

etc.

I know these information are available on the net, but if I would listen to a JR themes podcast these topics would interested me.

IST, thanks for this! This is the kind of stuff I want to know so I can try to design a structure around the show. I know nearly 99% of the information is available on the web but putting it into a podcast where we can all listen on our drives would be fun to hear as well as discuss with those who are more knowledgeable than I.

Davo Dentetsu

Hah, hey! 50% is 50% more than me at this point. I'd be able to get, "Good morning!"  :laughing6:

...and it might not even be "good" either, so we have ourselves a fiction audiobook.

An idea to look into would be a live YouTube or live Facebook output.  I particularly like Hikosaemon's layout ideas when he does a YouTube video.

Edited by Azumanga Davo
  • Like 1
adrianKeith

...and it might not even be "good" either, so we have ourselves a fiction audiobook.

An idea to look into would be a live YouTube or live Facebook output.  I particularly like Hikosaemon's layout ideas when he does a YouTube video.

Thanks! I'll have a look. If you have any other resources you can share, please do. I'm trying to create a framework for the show so that it doesn't sound too random.