Jump to content

What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)


Suica

Recommended Posts

On 12/3/2017 at 5:15 AM, Suica said:

And yet another Nez cassé has arrived. SNCF BB 15052 "Cambrai". Until I can get a good deal on SNCF Corail coaches (which will probably be... never), it'll have to pull the DB EuroCity.

DQHzp-MXkAARLo7.thumb.jpg.8b76d5db9b894abfe63ef21851554a53.jpg

 

Nice livery and loco.  Haven't pulled the trigger on of these for HO yet.

Link to post

I've been on a North American train bender lately - just got a Kato PA-1 and PB-1 Southern Pacific Daylight. I also got a 4 car set but missed out on the 6 car set, so now on the hunt for the 6 Car Southern Pacific Daylight set.  Thankfully, there are quite a few on eBay right now.

 

IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.ff3543074e535434fc6f0ee77d144b48.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post

Nice find Junior, those are hard to come by these days.  Are you collecting the older kato daylight cars too?

Link to post
49 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

I've been on a North American train bender lately - just got a Kato PA-1 and PB-1 Southern Pacific Daylight. I also got a 4 car set but missed out on the 6 car set, so now on the hunt for the 6 Car Southern Pacific Daylight set.  Thankfully, there are quite a few on eBay right now.

 

 

 

They're pricey, but there's 3 of them still out there.

 

https://www.trovestar.com/general/shop/shop_all.php?Collection=4&id=97972

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Nice find Junior, those are hard to come by these days.  Are you collecting the older kato daylight cars too?

 

Yeah, I have a couple of the other Kato Smoothside Passenger Car sets and why not the Daylight since I have the motive power now. :)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Finally I have a model (well two of them) of my favorite locomotive, the MLW (Alco) M636. I never would have thought in my wildest dreams that these would ever be made in ready to run plastic, until Bowser did the C630M several years ago. These beauties were the main locomotive used in my area until CN spun the local line off into a shortline.   :)

 

large.M636-HO-Bowser.jpg.68236bbb42f54cc5464e559ba59f5d2f.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post

Finally scored the Delaware & Hudson PA-1 set - great addition to my PA-1 collection.  I love these Alco's, so elegant.

 

5a2f7a4b98569_g8syCPr2RbaOCKTl76yBQ.thumb.jpg.1459e4ebc5949e01ce9739d05d29f356.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
12 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

Finally scored the Delaware & Hudson PA-1 set - great addition to my PA-1 collection.  I love these Alco's, so elegant.

 

Agreed Alco/MLW units definitely win for overall appearance, they just scream "I am powerful" when you look at them......and the sound of those prime movers in idle or notch 8.......its just soothing to my ears.

I think I am an ALCOholic.  ;)

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post

I've been buying the Minitrix I couldn't afford the first time around:

 

I know new models are finer but these run like sewing machines and can be overhauled without breaking anything. Could do with some BR Crimson MK1s for the Britannia and another teak coach or two for the Scotsman.

  • Like 4
Link to post
27 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

I've been buying the Minitrix I couldn't afford the first time around:

 

I know new models are finer but these run like sewing machines and can be overhauled without breaking anything. Could do with some BR Crimson MK1s for the Britannia and another teak coach or two for the Scotsman.

 

If you want to keep it "in period" model-wise, Minitrix Mk1s pop up pretty regularly on Hattons, and the modern Farish coach wheelsets fit just nicely.

Funnily enough I have a Minitrix Evening Star winging its way in my direction.

Link to post

Yep, I'll keep my eyes open as I visit shops with 2nd hand sections. Weirdly the original wheels on the LNER stock are metal but the MK1s have plastic (with metal axles). They're ok on Unitrack. Evening Star is also on my wish list, or the plain black 9f. Either way I'll start looking for 16t steel mineral wagons and a BR Standard brake van.

Edited by Welshbloke
More detail
Link to post

I have waiting for 6-7 years for Graham Farish release the South West Trains Desiro (Class 350 - 4 cars) as I am interested in modelling of South West England and it would be a great addition to my Class 159, 170, 442, 73 fleet. I bought a London Midland Desiro a few years ago for 100 GBP (because I like the train design), now it is available on 89 GBP. Compared to this, the SWT Desiro for 240 GBP is insane. I know it should have a new tooling because of the missing pantographs on the roof and different boogies due to the 3rd rail, but come on...

Edited by IST
Link to post
3 hours ago, VJM said:

I bought a Dapol Flying Scotsman not too long ago, but I somehow need to get a second corridor tender for it.  No one seems to make it as an add-on.

The real second tender was rebuilt from a conventional corridor one, I think it now belongs to the owner of 4464 "Bittern", a preserved A4. Do wonder if Dapol will consider making one in future, I know Hornby did it in OO years ago. Annoyingly it doesn't even seem to be possible to get a spare standard tender to convert.

 

TBH modern British N prices are the main reason why most of my stock is Japanese! An eleven car Kato E231 is going to cost me about £150 and will "just work". Farish still haven't figured out close coupling to the same standard.

Link to post
Claude_Dreyfus
3 hours ago, IST said:

I have waiting for 6-7 years for Graham Farish release the South West Trains Desiro (Class 350 - 4 cars) as I am interested in modelling of South West England and it would be a great addition to my Class 159, 170, 442, 73 fleet. I bought a London Midland Desiro a few years ago for 100 GBP (because I like the train design), now it is available on 89 GBP. Compared to this, the SWT Desiro for 240 GBP is insane. I know it should have a new tooling because of the missing pantographs on the roof and different boogies due to the 3rd rail, but come on...

 

Well, give it a year or so after release and this too may be available for less than £100...

  • Like 1
Link to post

Bought a Kato N-Scale BR 425 at a local Model Train Market/Swap Meet (Börse) last weekend, been searching for one of these with NRW markings for a while and got it now for a pretty good price too. It' s missing the light guide for the top headlight on one cab, but otherwise it's in perfect condition, guess I'll have to think up some way to replace it as I don't think Lemke/Kato still have parts for a model this old.

front.thumb.jpg.bef792bb67eadd1b72294451e9b416d5.jpg

side.thumb.jpg.74f08e2667d0e80ac1fd901bd6c9a569.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
1 hour ago, Gryphr said:

Bought a Kato N-Scale BR 425 at a local Model Train Market/Swap Meet (Börse) last weekend, been searching for one of these with NRW markings for a while and got it now for a pretty good price too. It' s missing the light guide for the top headlight on one cab, but otherwise it's in perfect condition, guess I'll have to think up some way to replace it as I don't think Lemke/Kato still have parts for a model this old.

front.thumb.jpg.bef792bb67eadd1b72294451e9b416d5.jpg

side.thumb.jpg.74f08e2667d0e80ac1fd901bd6c9a569.jpg

 

You could try a shot piece of fiber optic cable. Lovely train btw.

Edited by gavino200
Link to post
On 1/10/2018 at 1:10 AM, Welshbloke said:

TBH modern British N prices are the main reason why most of my stock is Japanese! An eleven car Kato E231 is going to cost me about £150 and will "just work". Farish still haven't figured out close coupling to the same standard.

 

Price-wise it's so much nicer ordering British stuff from outside the EU (no VAT) and with the pound the way it is... Also I've found it cheaper and more reliable to buy 2nd hand where available, as the previous owner will hopefully have run the loco past the stage where it will fail due to quality issues...

 

On 1/9/2018 at 9:20 PM, railsquid said:


Funnily enough I have a Minitrix Evening Star winging its way in my direction.

 

And here we go:

 

38916522704_f759b0faba_z.jpg

Minitrix 9F 92220 Evening Star by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

Bit noisy but works reliably and is just fine on Tomix track.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
22 minutes ago, railsquid said:

 

Price-wise it's so much nicer ordering British stuff from outside the EU (no VAT) and with the pound the way it is... Also I've found it cheaper and more reliable to buy 2nd hand where available, as the previous owner will hopefully have run the loco past the stage where it will fail due to quality issues...

 

 

 

 

 

Interesting. Do you find that to be the same with German trains? Do the importers not have to pay VAT when they buy the trains? Is VAT a point-of-sale only tax that importers don't have to pay? Are European trains actually cheaper to buy from outside Europe? It seems sort of counter-intuitive.

Link to post
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

 

Interesting. Do you find that to be the same with German trains? Do the importers not have to pay VAT when they buy the trains? Is VAT a point-of-sale only tax that importers don't have to pay? Are European trains actually cheaper to buy from outside Europe? It seems sort of counter-intuitive.

 

I'm not in the right mental frame of mind to explain the workings of VAT at the moment (had to deal with it professionally at one point and it's a whole counterintuitive world unto itself) but theoretically it doesn't apply for purchases which are shipped outside the EU (or probably the EEA). A bit like how you can claim sales tax back on purchases made in Japan (if you're not resident of course). Not all retailers will do this or have their systems set up well to cope with it; Hattons certainly does and as the British VAT rate is 20% it makes a nice difference :)

Link to post
9 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Hattons certainly does and as the British VAT rate is 20% it makes a nice difference :)

 

I remember when Hattons thought Hungary is not part of EU so everything was 20% cheaper for me for years. Then they realized the world changed.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
5 hours ago, railsquid said:

 

And here we go:

 

38916522704_f759b0faba_z.jpg

Minitrix 9F 92220 Evening Star by Rail Squid, on Flickr

 

Bit noisy but works reliably and is just fine on Tomix track.

 

 

I found a tiny drop of oil on motor bearings and the various gear shafts worked wonders on mine. They're still louder than Kato but it's a contented whirr rather than a growl or a rattle. Just need to work out why Britannia won't pull away smoothly, at the moment it goes from 0-50 in milliseconds. Runs fine once it's moving but acceleration is a bit violent!

Link to post
  • railsquid pinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...