What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Got a friend who would sell some of his Marklin train every so often and always gives me a deal I can't refuse even when I don't really have a need for it.  But I will eventually. Haha.

- Marklin "Rheingold" Express Train Passenger Car Set

IMG_9946.jpg

• Like 5

My son Harry's Christmas model - a NSWGR 38 class in HO made by a new company, Australian Railway Models. So far it's only run on the rolling road, but our initial impression is very favourable.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11
Claude_Dreyfus

My last delivery of 2020 arrived today in the form of the latest offering from Revolution Trains; the class 92.

1064568745_Beethoven1.thumb.jpg.804764e815af0e7b93f2f204844f4817.jpg

748055331_Beethoven2.thumb.jpg.077f86696f4e163d690f4572f67e3d6a.jpg

This was first ordered back in 2016 (which the intention was announced to produce the model). It has had an interesting development, not only due to the usual Research and Development challenges (as well as the universal issue of Covid impacting on manufacturing), but also because it early days were on the front line between two newly established manufacturers (albeit, Revolution had Rapido as their producer). The finished product is a really impressive model, which is currently being put through its paces on a temporary set up.

The model comes with some detailing parts already fitted, especially around the 'blank' end. The model does come with a second coupling, but I won't worry about fitting this. Extras include etched BR arrows and the Eurotunnel circles. The name was actually fitted as a transfer to the side of the real class 92.

In terms of the prototype, I have seen a couple of them running around - they are not only used for the channel tunnel, but also on ore domestic services - both running on third-rail and overhead. Although they look pretty modern engines, they were introduced back in 1994. They are used on both passenger (sleeper) and freight services. The significance of 92003 is that is hauled the last ever BR train prior to privatisation.

IMG_4188.thumb.JPG.699188df8c117a7f1beba2d612285e0d.JPG

She doesn't look too bad hauling a rake of Koki106/107 flats!

• Like 7

Arriving late yesterday, after travelling from the US to Australia via Japan, was this conversion kit for the MiniTrains HOn30 Baldwin 2-6-2T. It's a 3D print designed by forum member Nick Burman. I haven't started building it yet, but it certainly looks good. 

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

My last delivery of 2020 arrived today in the form of the latest offering from Revolution Trains; the class 92.

1064568745_Beethoven1.thumb.jpg.804764e815af0e7b93f2f204844f4817.jpg

748055331_Beethoven2.thumb.jpg.077f86696f4e163d690f4572f67e3d6a.jpg

I am still waiting on my model. They say the DCC sound models are going to be coming in January and then they have to send them across the pond.

15 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

In terms of the prototype, I have seen a couple of them running around - they are not only used for the channel tunnel, but also on ore domestic services - both running on third-rail and overhead. Although they look pretty modern engines, they were introduced back in 1994. They are used on both passenger (sleeper) and freight services. The significance of 92003 is that is hauled the last ever BR train prior to privatisation.

IMG_4188.thumb.JPG.699188df8c117a7f1beba2d612285e0d.JPG

She doesn't look too bad hauling a rake of Koki106/107 flats!

I ordered the Caledonian Sleeper version so I can use it to pull their MK5 carriages when ever they are produced...

• Like 2

Here is a Class 121 Bubble Car with Loksound V5 that I got recently. I was lucky to have traveled on this before Chiltern took these out of service a few years ago.

Edited by Kiran
Hit send too early
  • Like 5

I glimpsed one at Princes Risborough when I went past in 2014. Not sure I've ever been on one, though I do own a couple.

Meanwhile I have doubled my NS stock (entire fleet pictured) with this random acquisition of an NS1600 class, because it's one of those iconic loco designs on my Rule 1 "buy if at reasonable price" want list.

50717623033_6f4738578c_z.jpg

Fleischmann NS1600 (1657) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Finally got my hands on a few Hornby AcHo DEV AOs, to run with my Märklin BB9200

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJtxKOMhMNF/?igshid=1bmq8s7cazvp2

Need a pair of their Dublo-style couplers to get all five coaches I now have running nicely as one train, the standard euro hook and loop sort leave a much larger gap between them. Thinking I might look for some of the Inox stainless steel variants and do some swapping, as I need the hook and loops on the outer ends of the rake to couple to Marklin locos.

AcHo was a product of the Meccano/Hornby company setting up a subsidiary in France in the 60s. It outlived the original and is why, if you buy Meccano now, it has a French address on the box. The trains are pretty much Dublo SD6 standard, but with plastic coach bodies instead of tinplate sides. Weirdly they're lettered for the long variant of the DEV Acier Ordinaire stock but are a decent rendition of the short versions, quite why Hornby didn't just print 8 instead of 10 in the designations is beyond me!

My second shipment of WMATA cars has arrived, this time just one. Now I have four, enough for two pairs. There's a third pair in the mail to make a six car train, the minimum train length. This, of course, means that I have to start looking into powering these things and adding stuff like lights...and DCC...and maybe sound...

Oh no, it's getting expensive again...

0108211707a.jpg

0108211707.jpg

0108211708.jpg?width=1361&height=1021

This one will need some paintwork and clean up. We'll see how ambitious I am and if I can find the right colour brown.

• Like 4

Some ICE 1 cars with DB AG paint. For me this is close enough to use to expand my 4 car ICE 2 set to a reasonable train length. Also, some empty Fleishmann boxes to house the ICE 2 cars. They came in the giant starter set box set into styrofoam mouldings. 

TGikKZv.jpg?1

• Like 6

Ordered:

149922247_16Janorder.thumb.png.e32730e6c8e0aa99ea879e2ae70986ac.png

- Enough coaches to make a mini-prototype inter-city express from the 1970's, when I was a kid.

- A thoroughly non-prototypical locomotive to pull that train (with free aircraft! Hmm)

- A couple of freight vans from the same period, for my other blue loco to push about.

- A farm building because there will be sheep on them there hills

• Like 3

The two vans are the makings of a 70s parcels train. Maybe add a blue and grey MK1 BG when you next feel the urge to expand, MK1 GUVs and CCTs in blue would also mix well.

6 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

The two vans are the makings of a 70s parcels train. Maybe add a blue and grey MK1 BG when you next feel the urge to expand, MK1 GUVs and CCTs in blue would also mix well.

One of those actually is a CCT. It’s just a small pic, so not clear. And I think there’s a blue GUV model that’s a “forthcoming release” from Graham Farish I think. 

Edited by Sheffie

They look like old Southern Railway designs (which lasted well into BR days, although you couldn't usually see the blue under the dirt). BR would produce new versions in their standard MK1 fleet, the GUV being a bogie van and the CCT a four wheel version (using the same profile and end design, but shorter). Both could be used for all sorts, from parcels to newspapers to cars (hence the end doors and drop flap to cover the buffers for loading). The four wheelers didn't last as long as the bogie versions as they didn't ride as well at speed, and were banned from being added to passenger trains as a tail load at some point.

You might also see four wheeled ex fish vans in parcels service. Dapol have made an accurate one but I'm not sure if it's currently available, the Peco one is unfortunately too long overall (stretched to fit their standard LWB chassis). 

I saw a photo recently of a blue Class 25, BG, four or five ex-fish vans and about as many MK1 CCTs behind that. There may well have been even more out of frame. Also seen one of a three car DMU with an old Southern van (either a CCT or PMV) as a tail load, that one I can do in N thanks to a Farish 101 and Dapol van.

The older CCTs and PMVs are slightly endangered species as people keep nicking the underframes to restore old four wheel coach bodies!

• Like 1

Shipment #3 of WMATA cars. Final two cars to make a "base" six car train. Will need two more to have a full, eight car train, but for now I have enough to make something realistic, so I'll run with it.

0123211108.jpg

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Shipment #3 of WMATA cars. Final two cars to make a "base" six car train. Will need two more to have a full, eight car train, but for now I have enough to make something realistic, so I'll run with it.

0123211108.jpg

Very nice. I'd love to see your progress with this in a thread. It looks like a great project. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Very nice. I'd love to see your progress with this in a thread. It looks like a great project. 

Oh, good idea. I can do my best with it.

Am currently waiting on lights to arrive. Once those are here, I'll see about ordering a coupler Stanton drives and smaller wheels from NWSL and see if I can get one fitted.

• Like 3

Update: lights have arrived. Some are reasonably sized, others are stupid small. I guess the project begins soon.

• Like 1

Alright, some pictures:

Starburst, for scale

0127212020.jpg

Kadee #5 mounted on last post's 44 Tonner for scale

0127212022.jpg

Test fit of the white and red LEDs in a car end

0127212016.jpg

Will need to come up with a way to make chromeish rings around the red lights, both for prototypicality and so they fit...

The red lights will also end up as tail light sets in some coaches.

The super tiny lights will likely end up as markers, step lights, and truck lights. They're going to be difficult to work with.

Edited by GDorsett
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

Alright, some pictures:

Starburst, for scale

0127212020.jpg

Kadee #5 mounted on last post's 44 Tonner for scale

0127212022.jpg

Test fit of the white and red LEDs in a car end

Will need to come up with a way to make chromeish rings around the red lights, both for prototypicality and so they fit...

The red lights will also end up as tail light sets in some coaches.

The super tiny lights will likely end up as markers, step lights, and truck lights. They're going to be difficult to work with.

Where did you get the super-tiny lights? I'd like to get some of those!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Where did you get the super-tiny lights? I'd like to get some of those!

Ebay!

I'll send you the link to the ones I bought in a message. That particular shop has a bunch of things in it.

• Thanks 1

Chrome rings: a thin sheet of plastic, with aluminum foil folded over one edge. The thickness of the plastic should fit the gap between your LED and train body. Once the foil is glued to the plastic, it’s a matter of cutting it down to size and bending it around the LED. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1