What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

This is the reason I don't pay much attention to video reviews on YouTube. My preference is for recommendations from people I know and whose judgement I trust, or getting hold of a model and evaluating it myself.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 4
The Birmingham train spotter

Here is mine from last year:

Mainline Class 45 "Peak" No 45119

Hornby Class 86 No 86417 in Rail express

Lima Class 50 No 50044 In NSE "Exeter"

Hornby Class 20 No 20905 in GBRf 

And some NSE carriages with some smaller carriages

IMG_2022-01-16-10-50-27-472.jpg

IMG_2022-01-16-10-50-18-802.jpg

IMG_2022-01-16-10-50-03-390.jpg

IMG_2022-01-16-10-49-56-955.jpg

IMG_2022-01-16-10-49-53-639.jpg

IMG_2022-01-16-10-49-49-996.jpg

• Like 4
twistrackson5

Would never have thought a Post War version would have been produced.

This would represent a capstone in my acquisition phase.  Of course, another purchase would make that last statement a lie.

How many more is enough?  Just one more piece.

DSC08376.JPG

DSC08378.JPG

• Like 3

First train order in some time for me.

Basically, I've pretty much given up hope that Graham Farish will ever get their act together and produce either of the green locos I have on pre-order, and I've decided to get a heavy freight loco - something that should be able to pull either my five passenger coaches or my short freight train.

The class 9F was probably Britain's last great steam locomotive, so it's not a bad addition to my collection.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/dapol-2s-013-009-class-9f-92214-br-lined-green-late-crest

Also in this order, a couple of dry stone walls suitable for putting sheep behind! So my collection of tiny sheep will have somewhere to go.

• Like 5

I'm trying not to buy too many new trains at the moment, but couldn't resist a Kato 10-1145 set for $190.00NZD on our national auction site. The seller also has the 3102 Ge4/4 II "Glacier Express" loco which I may try and snaffle at the same time too.

This set still has the original Rapido couplings attached, though I intend to switch to the 'shorty' Grondana-style couplings as used on the other Kato RhB stock. Hokutosei in Japan has both the Z01-0513 couplings for the Ge4/4 III loco, and the Z01-0512 Bernina Express coupling sets which I suspect are probably going to be the closest I'll get to the recommended and now-unavailable 20-186 coupling set.

Back in Japan, a package is en route to New Zealand with two Märklin H0 wagons aboard: a 43610 SBB Eurofima sleeper coach (2015), and a sliding roof gondola from the 00765 set (2011). The gondola for some welcome freight variation, and the Eurofima car because I need more passenger stock and it fits my quasi-selected time period of 1970s-1980s. I say 'quasi-selected' because I have followed other family members down the rabbit hole of "see a train, like the train, buy the train."

• Like 1

Latest arrivals on the international front - as yet un-run by me but if work decides not to give me any tomorrow, at least it’ll give me something to do.

image.thumb.jpg.345bf793eb20cc1dc44f750fd2513985.jpg

The Glacier Express set will get some new couplers soon, but I need to order some gangway concertinas for them to close down that ‘ride-a-motorcycle-between-carriages’ gap. Actually, now that the old concertinas are off, you could probably get away with that....

not that I’m going to try it.

Edited by disturbman
missing line jump w/ picture
  • Like 3

A few weeks ago I got the new KATO ET425 EMU.  I already own the older KATO/Lemke ET425 (I have the special women' soccer championship livery on the end cars for the Lemke one).

They are basically identical except the inside plastic color of the seating is gray in one and blue in the other, and the red cars on the new one say DB Regio while on the older one there are no side markings.  The Lemke edition had destinations pre-installed but came with a sheet of decals to change it to what you want.  The new KATO version has blank destination boards and decals.

I also got the Fleischman Re485 BLS Cargo locomotive shown and 20 of their exclusive D&H PD10M decoders from DM-Toys today.  Took 2 or 2 1/2 days to my door via "UPS Saver".  I didn't need the locomotive but adding it (from their close-out bargains list) saved me 20 euro in shipping costs as it got me into their free shipping category after the cost of the decoders.  I am alsways one to rationalize new stuff through "savings" 🤣 (but I use the bargain / close-out lists to choose so at least I keep the overall per-item cost down).  DM-Toys is not my first place to go for Euro stuff as they do NOT sell without the VAT (19%).  However, they aren't reporting it since it is shipped outside, but rather they claim it is to offset their shipping costs as they have low 20 euro (used to be 10 euro) flat rate shipping and free above 500 euro purchase.  The decoders are inexpensive anyway so worth it even without the VAT being taken off and the bargain bin locomotive wasn't that bad comparably (and is slightly older so not available at my normal go to places).

IMG_5487.thumb.jpeg.87f95aa8902a08e967132d1db2ec4c6b.jpegIMG_5486.thumb.jpeg.b678accfa34b856f5a5e4c54fef745d9.jpeg

• Like 6

Oh yes, got me one of those ET425s:

51944637522_39c719433a_z.jpg

Kato DB ET425 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

In general they are outside my Berlin remit, but one or two sets were deployed there in 2006 coinciding with the opening of the new Hauptbahnhof and whatever international ball-kicking contest was going on. I'm pretty sure I managed to travel on one, but haven't got any photographic evidence.

• Like 2

Today I received a Dapol Class 68 in “Direct Rail Services” livery. I’ve never seen them in real life but in plenty of videos of Cumbrian rail miscellany, and so this will serve as a reminder of my favourite part of the world. 

B8B74376-0ED1-4469-A1F4-CADF7430A73D.thumb.jpeg.cc66543864dd3b727884097cd13bfd66.jpeg

It’s a very nicely detailed model and so far it seems to run well. Only one bogey is driven, but I don’t expect to run any long trains with it anyway. 

edited to add: let’s try again, without the zoom…

15594C51-2E5C-40EF-87B8-50FC56BDC115.thumb.jpeg.aa1b0898a91feb6e20d5caaabea2a205.jpeg

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 5

received these models from an out of town  friend recently. All second Hand, but in good condition. The Glacier Express set has DCC already fitted . The Kato city of L.A set was unboxed ,but I couldn't say no to it. passengers fitted in some coaches. 

20220328_183052.jpg

20220328_183413.jpg

20220328_183536.jpg

20220212_175844.jpg

• Like 3

Received the SBB RABe501 in modern livery today (HN2472) analogue model as usual. These are my observations:

Details and model impressions:

• As opposed to Arnold ICE, there is an interior in all cars, but hard to see from outside because of dark windows (I have not yet investigated interior lighting, I will wait until expansion pack is available. Note that the intermediate cars do not have electrical pickups). There is also an interior in the motor car (Motor is in the First Class cab).
  • Like other Arnold trains, the pickups are “Drag” based rather than Axle end based like with Japanese model trains. So the resistance of the cabin car is significant
  • Front and closing lights work but need high current to turn on (stays off with even high PWM setting from KATO DX). The lights are bright and visible at normal running speed.
  • Couplers are “stick” couplers with NEM pockets, making exchange easy. However the length is shorter than regular NEM, so you will need to purchase special shortened couplers if you want to replace it.
  • Livery is crisp and accurate with much detail. Roof decorations are also very nice and detailed. It reminds me of Rapidotrains Pendolino in terms of weight and overall model impression.
  • Both cabin cars have a nice weight to it

Running performance:

• The engine performance is similar to other modern Arnold trains. Despite the drag pickups, the motor can handle it with sufficient speed (which is often not the case with Arnold ICE).
  • Performance with KATO DX: Low buzzing at low current, but starts and runs smooth without issue, it seems sometimes the train runs less optimally in superelevated curves (but maybe this will be alleviated with more runtime). PWM knob does not make a difference; lowest setting is used.
  • Performance with KATO SX: higher pitched, louder “Vacuum cleaner” buzzing, but runs similar to KATO DX
  • Performance with TOMIX 1001CL: no buzzing noise at all, but train is very sensitive at low current and quickly starts running unrealistically fast. PWM must be set to lowest setting or it will take off.
  • Performance with KATO S: no buzzing noise at all, train runs like with KATO DX. 
  • If you can cope with the low pitched buzzing, then KATO DX maybe the most optimal. If you still have a KATO S power pack, it runs the most optimal with that.

Conclusion and final thoughts:

The Arnold SBB RABe501 is a nice model and I am happy that I bought it. As far as european model trains go, this is a great model but could have been better. The price (299 euro) was also acceptable especially if compared with other european models. As usual, it cannot be compared to the superiority of Japanese model trains in terms of performance.

Tagging @Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa as he requested this review.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Received the SBB RABe501 in modern livery today (HN2472) analogue model as usual. These are my observations:

Pics or it didn't happen

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I totally agree with Michel @Yavianice

I received mine (same model) yesterday and tested today, mechanicaly it run like an old MA, a little noisy, can't be compared with the last Kato or Tomix engine
the windows are a little bit too dark, is the same problem I had with the renewed Hornby-Rivarossi ETR480 in H0 compared with the old original and more correct "Lima collection" release, the real train windows are less dark
the nose is correct for both versions (orizontal split - for RABe - and vertical split - for ETR and ex Cisalpino)

I agree also about price (289€ here + 140-150 who knows? for add-on) is aligned with european market items, but I think is over the limit for a "made in china" object, also because this train can be sold in 3 different foreign market (Italy, Switzerland, Germany) where this train regulary run
just my opinion, each of these trains, E001, Seven Stars, Mizukaze from Kato is more complex, long, less expensive and Made in Japan, so I need a good reason for pay more, in this case "bad news Hornby", for me this is just "one shot", no more ETR or RABe for my roster, more money in my wallet for the next Shinkansen or TGV

p.s. comparison not with Shinkasen but regular trains because these are much more detailed than smoth Shinkasen surfaces, europeans HST have a lot of grids, panels, junction etc..and the mold is more complex, my test run is much simple than Michel, just an r315 oval with Kato power pack from "700 Ambitious Japan" start set 😋

ops.. one photo for Chadbag (just the proof, better photos tomorrow with sunlight... I hope, today is winter again and my old THL smartphone don't help)

RABe.thumb.jpg.80099ed08ab3898da0867454e22f28d4.jpg

Ciao!

Massimo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa

Thanks very much for the reviews!

I think I will wait a while before deciding to make the leap and buy one, they work out to nearly NZ$500 which is very pricey for just a 4 car set.

I've preordered the just announced OuiGo TGV in the meantime which was quite a bit cheaper and I do also have a 2nd run Pendolino that has been on order for some time now that is hopefully only a few months away now.

Edited by Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa
  • Like 1

Received Fleischmann 781804 today (OBB Nightjet Taurus with Italian red security stripe), price 179 euro.

Solid model as usual from Fleischmann. Had the Hobbytrain Taurus first but Hobbytrain loco's kinda suck, so I upgraded to the Fleischmann version. One concern for me was the difference in color with the LSModels Nightjet Cars. As you can see in the below picture, there is a color difference (The loco being more vibrant) but I think the difference is still acceptable. Hope this helps people deciding between the Hobbytrain (which has perfect color coordination but sucky drive quality/pull power) and the Fleischmann loco (slightly brighter but can haul a train).

image.thumb.png.c383b6c4544b1bf1c23587915b9cd370.png

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 3

How about some of my stuff
1299588512_train001.thumb.JPG.15dd732482c6c954f5836400c192ad0f.JPG
The only item that's truely new today is the Loco, DCC decoder and the Unitrack. Everything else I redisovered when I opened some storage tubs looking for something else.

941044862_train002.thumb.JPG.b37007df6f00f8452b4684d124839a5d.JPG

Those advertising louvre vans have a bit of a weird production run as they're either one of a hundred or one of a thousand. The decoder is also a bit of a pain to install as it has a wiring loom for a keep alive and the main circuit board when refitting the shell doesn't leave much space for loose wires. 

Edited by Rod.H
  • Like 2

Here's something I ordered in (checks notes) August 2016, which arrived yesterday:

52080137734_146b9f24be_z.jpg

Revolution Class 321 (321 401) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Came with surprise interior lighting, at least I don't recall it being advertised has having such when I ordered it (mind you the model has undergone multiple revisions and a change of manufacturer since then). Interestingly very similar in construction principle to Japanese multiple units, including chassis-mounted central motor driving both bogies, and pinpoint pickups on all wheels (from underneath it looks amost like a MicroAce unit). Different is the provision of DCC and power couplings, but give pretty good close coupling.

One of the bogies was somewhat tight with no vertical play, which meant it derailed very easily; easy enough to fix as they are screwed in.

Not a big fan of the couplings, which are clunky and fiddly to fit together, but not very solid, already had one pop out of the chassis accidentally. A pair of tweezers is supplied to push the couplings together, but that means turning the cars upside down, and is a PITA to do with a 4-car set. They also restrict the movement of the attached bogies, so susceptible to derailments on less-than-perfect curves (though that can be improved with better track laying...).

Overall very nice looking model, but I suspect it is only going to come out on special occasions.

• Like 9
disturbman
3 hours ago, railsquid said:

Interestingly very similar in construction principle to Japanese multiple units, including chassis-mounted central motor driving both bogies, and pinpoint pickups on all wheels (from underneath it looks amost like a MicroAce unit).

I would have been interested to see the underside.

18 hours ago, railsquid said:

Here's something I ordered in (checks notes) August 2016, which arrived yesterday:

52080137734_146b9f24be_z.jpg

Revolution Class 321 (321 401) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Came with surprise interior lighting, at least I don't recall it being advertised has having such when I ordered it (mind you the model has undergone multiple revisions and a change of manufacturer since then). Interestingly very similar in construction principle to Japanese multiple units, including chassis-mounted central motor driving both bogies, and pinpoint pickups on all wheels (from underneath it looks amost like a MicroAce unit). Different is the provision of DCC and power couplings, but give pretty good close coupling.

One of the bogies was somewhat tight with no vertical play, which meant it derailed very easily; easy enough to fix as they are screwed in.

Not a big fan of the couplings, which are clunky and fiddly to fit together, but not very solid, already had one pop out of the chassis accidentally. A pair of tweezers is supplied to push the couplings together, but that means turning the cars upside down, and is a PITA to do with a 4-car set. They also restrict the movement of the attached bogies, so susceptible to derailments on less-than-perfect curves (though that can be improved with better track laying...).

Overall very nice looking model, but I suspect it is only going to come out on special occasions.

Wow, I never thought these things would materialise. And a lot more for a 4 car set than we enjoy with Japanese trains.

Certainly the livery I would've gone for too. Perhaps a short stopping service between Takahachikawa and London Euston