What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Mixed feelings about this one. 

I found a plain second class coach in British Rail blue/grey, and it’s a decent match, except that it’s about 1cm longer and it’s labeled Inter City 125. Easy enough to spot the odd one out...

761E3B23-A807-496A-8361-9E582A2EBDD6.thumb.jpeg.5f7543b21fc62ab420c082b6fee367bd.jpeg

In other news, it’s very hard to take a decent photo with the window behind the layout. I want to get a background up, at some point. Possibly more than one 

• Like 3

Looks nice!  Tbh I had to look for a bit to figure which one was longer, I think it matches pretty well.  

Claude_Dreyfus

Yes, you've got yourself a mark 3 carriage there. These (the ones labelled as Intercity 125) ran in fixed rakes between HST power cars; although mark 3s were also used in more conventional loco hauled trains (ScotRail intercity and the West Coast main line for example) and I have seen them mixed up with mark 2s in service - particularly in the 70s and the 80s.

They were (still are, after 45 years, they're still in service) very smart looking carriages and considered by many enthusiasts as the best carriages to run in the UK.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Looks nice!  Tbh I had to look for a bit to figure which one was longer, I think it matches pretty well.  

The first two carriages are first class, then there’s the buffet car, the new second class car, and a brake/second at the back. It is not that close to prototypical, but I’m very limited for size, and for a while there I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to find a second class coach at all. So here we are. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Yes, you've got yourself a mark 3 carriage there. These (the ones labelled as Intercity 125) ran in fixed rakes between HST power cars; although mark 3s were also used in more conventional loco hauled trains (ScotRail intercity and the West Coast main line for example) and I have seen them mixed up with mark 2s in service - particularly in the 70s and the 80s.

They were (still are, after 45 years, they're still in service) very smart looking carriages and considered by many enthusiasts as the best carriages to run in the UK.

Yeah, I used to live next to the west coast main line, so I remember these trains going past. That, and long lines of grey NCB coal wagons. 

33 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Yes, you've got yourself a mark 3 carriage there. These (the ones labelled as Intercity 125) ran in fixed rakes between HST power cars; although mark 3s were also used in more conventional loco hauled trains (ScotRail intercity and the West Coast main line for example) and I have seen them mixed up with mark 2s in service - particularly in the 70s and the 80s

WCML rakes were often a real mix of Mk3s and a/c Mk2s, usually with a Mk1 BG and often a Mk1 buffet to boot (I hav

7 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

The first two carriages are first class, then there’s the buffet car, the new second class car, and a brake/second at the back. It is not that close to prototypical, but I’m very limited for size, and for a while there I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to find a second class coach at all. So here we are. 

FWIW the HST Mk3 don't have buffers (usually, no doubt the internet will find exceptions...) whereas loco-hauled ones do, but to confuse things Dapol has released some buffered versions erroneously labelled "InterCity 125". Though at normal viewing distance it doesn't really matter :).

I gave up waiting for Farish to release their set of three weathered mineral wagons that I ordered ages ago. I cancelled those in favour of some Dapol "Grampus" wagons, two each of three different numbers. I'm only posting a link to one variety, because life is short.
https://railsofsheffield.com/products/30942/dapol-2f-060-010-n-gauge-dapol-2f-060-010-grampus-br-black-db990488

One of the nice things about these is that they fit into the era I'm modelling, which is roughly 1960's-70's

Hopefully these will arrive fairly soon, and I'll then have my mine train (well, once the locomotive is released)

Edited by Sheffie
On 3/25/2021 at 7:31 PM, railsquid said:

FWIW the HST Mk3 don't have buffers (usually, no doubt the internet will find exceptions...) whereas loco-hauled ones do, but to confuse things Dapol has released some buffered versions erroneously labelled "InterCity 125". Though at normal viewing distance it doesn't really matter :).

Let’s see...

201EA3CC-DCE2-452E-B8D6-CF89E8A87FC4.thumb.jpeg.2e418b7a8ab1568a8a5dc09bde84c22a.jpeg

Three things are apparent here. One, the camera on the iPhone 11 is orders of magnitude better than the 6s I used to have. Two, Dapol have correctly omitted the buffers, although it really isn’t easy to see. Three, these are the glorious early Mark 3 coaches where the tables lined up with the windows. (Later refits added an extra pair of seats in each quadrant, and all the tables had to make do with reduced legroom to compensate.)

• Like 2

There were a few HST TGS vehicles with buffers, from that odd period when they had Class 91s turning up but no MK4 coaches to go with them. So HST sets had one power car removed, retractable buffers and drop-head buckeye couplers fitted to the end of the TGS and the nose of the remaining power car, and were used as stand-ins.

The power car was originally there as a control cab and to power the ETH on the MK3s (as they use 415v 3 phase and the 91s don't). But the power unit didn't respond well to idling continuously, so with a slight tweak to the control circuits its power output was added to that of the 91 on the other end of the train. The results were somewhat dramatic, with the HST providing a good shove until the 91 woke up and started pulling!

The prototype HST rake was also built with buckeyes and retractable buffers, along with conventional ETH. BR wanted to test them as a new loco hauled stock design as well as HST trailers.

What you have is a TGS or Trailer Guard Standard. These were built slightly later in response to complaints by guards that their new working space (in the back of the power cars) was horrifically loud. The van space in the power cars was kept for luggage and cycles.

• Like 1

Today I received my Grampus mineral wagons, a pair of each of the three numbers. I’m betting no one will notice the duplicates. 

4683DA91-B264-4C88-81B6-B0DAF6FC386E.thumb.jpeg.a3ea131ddf8772a910d81898d247c5cb.jpeg

• Like 1

So this past week, my N scale LJN Scale Chinese railways YZ22 “hard class” coach arrived. I had ordered it from EZ Transcom in Hong Kong as a test. I figured that if this went south, I was only out $20 with shipping. I had also ordered it from Lee Kwon, but the shipping cost more than the model and the order was canceled. 

The model took almost a month to arrive and I wasn’t able to track it because neither HK Post nor USPS have to report tracking on these international parcels. I was able to track the package in Hong Kong and it appears to have sat with the post for sixteen days before it actually shipped. 

The model itself is ok. The printing isn’t as crisp as is possibly and the undercarriage is not very good, but it’s not a bad model for $20.

I don’t really intend to model China, I mostly purchased it because it’s similar in style to the old Soviet sleeping cars. I was fortunate to ride them in high school when I visited Russia and the Ukraine. They are distinctly not European and not quite American. 

One thing has been reconfirmed with this model: I really do love that green Communist rolling stock!

F223469D-21C8-4EDE-94CB-807FD827ED47.jpeg

E71679F2-3904-4F3A-BB3D-4EAC7581818B.jpeg

622C9286-3F4D-495B-ADDD-BD541C1720E7.jpeg

9C2D45BE-75A9-4B9B-85D3-5A5330FE774B.jpeg

055F97D0-9655-49B3-A85F-A60CC701A417.jpeg

• Like 7

The AS-Modell 188692 NSB EL18 (basically a Fleischmann SBB RE460 but then with some extra bits on it) is finally here, fortunately my shop had one more left before they all sold out (with a waiting list).

image_2021-05-19_120714.png

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 5

Something different.  I've looked at these card stock kits before.  This time I finally bought one. Just  ordered two more. My kit is sitting on the instructions. All you need are simple tools like a steel rule, tweezers, hobby knife and Elmer's Glue All.  Comes with several sign choices. I like the Main Street look. Available in N, Z and to a lesser degree in T and HO.  Something to work on this weekend.

https://www.ebay.ca/str/CustomZscales?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

https://customzscales.com/

IMG_8598 1920 x 1080.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Interesting. How much of the internal cuts are done for you?

jeff

Here is a customer video showing assembly of T gauge building set.

Bill,

Just wondering on your n scale ones, looked like it has some windows cut out on your picture there.

paper craft works great for t scale! Any surface relief details would be less than the thickness of a piece of paper!

jeff

Yes, the garage has windows cut out.  I probably won't put it together for a couple of days.

Edited by bill937ca
On 5/8/2021 at 6:30 PM, Szdfan said:

I mostly purchased it because it’s similar in style to the old Soviet sleeping cars.

You might as well want to check on those YW22 hard sleeping cars from CMR if you haven't done so already.

The same green paint scheme has been used on many modern Chinese passenger trains as well.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jozasa said:

Biggest steam loco in the world!

SAM_5847.JPG

SAM_5851.JPG

Chased Big Boy around Thanksgiving 2019 to Limon, CO from the Kansas state line when she was on tour. It was a really great day.

576F6724-134B-4D88-94F3-3F8FE46C515A.jpeg

E9E03589-A4AF-4874-84DB-7E232EB8BDE4.jpeg

6C95A5E8-870E-4392-B962-23E98407BDBB.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow your photos with someone in ther for perspective really show it’s a monster!  Lovely.

jeff

• Like 1