What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

9 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Chrome rings: a thin sheet of plastic, with aluminum foil folded over one edge. The thickness of the plastic should fit the gap between your LED and train body. Once the foil is glued to the plastic, it’s a matter of cutting it down to size and bending it around the LED. 

Oh, good idea! Especially now that I have some super tiny drille bits!

• Like 1
On 1/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, railsquid said:

Another Interregio coach to flesh out my small rake:

50859460772_8f14f8c1a5_z.jpg

Fleischmann Bim 263-5 Interregio 2. Klasse by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I miss the Inter Regio colors from the 90s very much in Germany. On the railway line in my childhood it was always nice to see when a BR143 in the old paint (from DR) drove by.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, lighthouse said:

I miss the Inter Regio colors from the 90s very much in Germany. On the railway line in my childhood it was always nice to see when a BR143 in the old paint (from DR) drove by.

I lived opposite Warschauer Strasse station in Berlin 1995-1999 (and Berlin 1991 - 2008). Stupidly it never occurred to me to take photos of trains (was an impoverished student for most of the 1990s anyway), so I do what I can to recreate the memories 😄

• Like 4

Used to have quite a lot a lot of action around there. I saw a few old DR diesel locs shunting sleeper wagons at Warschauer.

I also worked next to the Ringbahn and the Westhaffen in Wedding for a few weeks over the years. It’s a constant movement of freight trains, S-bahn, Regios and ICEs. Quite the view.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, disturbman said:

Used to have quite a lot a lot of action around there. I saw a few old DR diesel locs shunting sleeper wagons at Warschauer.

I also worked next to the Ringbahn and the Westhaffen in Wedding for a few weeks over the years. It’s a constant movement of freight trains, S-bahn, Regios and ICEs. Quite the view.

*Westhafen 😉

I remember a Ludmilla of some description, usually in DR colours, would turn up mid-afternoon and stand idling basically over the road from my windows, until about 4pm when it powered up and trundled off with a rake of DB Talgos to take to Bhf Zoo (or maybe Charlottenburg) by some circituous route.

Similar scene in 2014; I used to live in the building next to the yellow one on the right (both looked very different back then, though the Platte seems unchanged 😉 ).

28797720663_45d157096b_z.jpg

P1020954 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Interestingly there was a BR218 hauling coaches around.

29384839776_a87c89ef10_z.jpg

P1020949 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 2

I kinda snapped yesterday and ordered (and also pre-ordered) some Rhätische Bahn stuff. Might be because I have had a Bernina Express postcard just above my monitor for the last year and half 😄 Bought them mostly for viewing and memories, but might run them on my Japanese layout few times - not prototypical at all, but who cares 🙂

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

You won't regret it, they're brilliant little things. Can handle R150 curves too for micro layout possibilities.

Thanks for info, that's actually great 👍 I might fit a little microlayout somewhere in the office for them.

I'll be interested to see whether they've included some sort of steering axles on the open observation cars. I think the real thing has them (they have some sort of linkage between the axleboxes which I can't see any other reason for), but I've not seen a photo of the underside of the Kato model yet.

Class 17 is here. The gearing is rather “fast” so I’m afraid it won’t run well at low speeds, but it looks great. It’s nice that the head code(?) number lights up. 

48DEC7A4-87CD-4FBB-9129-1442195AAD6C.thumb.jpeg.10d3dbc849d3c040cc1bb23307a252b9.jpegplease forgive the blurry action shot. 

• Like 4

It might improve with some running in?

I have an ancient Minitrix Class 27 with illuminated headcodes, unfortunately they didn't bother to print any codes on so they're just rectangles of clear plastic. It doesn't look much like a Class 27 either (chassis is from a German electric loco which also has a relaxed attitude to accuracy), but it weighs a ton and can drag stalled locos from awkward spots. Two of them together will shift the Tomix cleaning wagon in "wet pad" mode.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Class 17 is here. The gearing is rather “fast” so I’m afraid it won’t run well at low speeds, but it looks great. It’s nice that the head code(?) number lights up. 

That's a funny looking DD51 😁

Looks like a nice model, lit train numbers is something I've come to really appreciate when locos are so equipped.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
18 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

That's a funny looking DD51 😁

Looks like a nice model, lit train numbers is something I've come to really appreciate when locos are so equipped.  

That's a cursed model idea...

BR blue dd51 or JNR/JRF red/white/grey Class 17

• Haha 3

Well, Lima did give us a DB V100 painted in BR liveries...

I have a feeling they did both green and blue, and HO and N versions. There may also have been cheapo four wheel versions and ones with the proper number of axles?

• Haha 1

This arrived in the latest package from RG Rokko among other things. Rhaetian Railway BerninaExpress with the interesting  open observation car. I also have the Allegra but it is waiting to be DCC-fied.Trains.thumb.jpg.00927f1b84abc8c9d0d6c1061a5fcb38.jpgTrains.thumb.jpg.00927f1b84abc8c9d0d6c1061a5fcb38.jpg

• Like 6
On 2/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, Welshbloke said:

Well, Lima did give us a DB V100 painted in BR liveries...

I have a feeling they did both green and blue, and HO and N versions. There may also have been cheapo four wheel versions and ones with the proper number of axles?

My very first train set in the 70s was from Lima 2 axel DN V100, oval of track, bogied shell tanker and a car transporter with 3 Mercedes.   Oh yeah and a crude battery powered controller.

The car transporters got even sillier. Taking an Italian pair-of-four-wheeler transporters (of a type not seen here until the Chunnel opened), Lima printed "British Leyland" and loaded it with Mercs...

I do have a soft spot for the random Italian or German stock they tried to pass off as BR models in the 70s, and will acquire them if price and condition are right. Not the locos though!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

The car transporters got even sillier. Taking an Italian pair-of-four-wheeler transporters (of a type not seen here until the Chunnel opened), Lima printed "British Leyland" and loaded it with Mercs...

28764434745_4b803294b8_z.jpg

Lima car transporter by Rail Squid, on Flickr

9 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I do have a soft spot for the random Italian or German stock they tried to pass off as BR models in the 70s, and will acquire them if price and condition are right. Not the locos though!

28969435276_d7108cf1be_z.jpg

br-v100 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

I'm sure at some point Lima during the late 1970s misdirected a container full of "British outline" N gauge to Japan, there's tonnes of this stuff floating around here, some of it on offer at ridiculous prices.

• Like 4

Does the V100 have the same pancake motor they inflicted on the 86/4F/etc?

I notice Hobbysearch are now stocking Peco wagons, it'll be interesting to see how they go down in Japan.

1 hour ago, Welshbloke said:

Does the V100 have the same pancake motor they inflicted on the 86/4F/etc?

The very same. Mounted in the centre so the bogie arrangement is 1-A-A-1. Towards the end they did do some centre-mounted can motors in the 31 and 86s, but I have yet to come across one in the wild.

1 hour ago, Welshbloke said:

I notice Hobbysearch are now stocking Peco wagons, it'll be interesting to see how they go down in Japan.

I wonder if that is somehow related to Kato's recent tie-up with Peco.

I did suspect that it might be.

I'm rather fond of the old Peco stock, they've been making it for decades and I had a fair number of them growing up. I'm working on a long train of their fish vans, which I know are wrong (too long overall) but look decent enough en masse behind a Minitrix Britannia.

Marklin did the same chassis design on a few 1950s HO locos, I have an E44 and I know there was a Swiss loco with the same setup. In this case it does no harm to the running qualities as the thing weighs about the same as a housebrick, thanks to being made entirely from metal apart from the card insulators between the chassis block and various contacts. Mine has an ESU digital upgrade kit as it came to me seized solid "sold as seen", so I had no qualms about rebuilding the internals while keeping it looking original.

Ordered from Rails of Sheffield:

- One more green Bogie B luggage van, to flesh out the 1960’s freight train. 

- Five buffer stops in the bent rail style. 

- A retaining wall kit from Metcalfe Models. 

And pre-ordered, one Class 08 diesel shunter, also in green, to move the green freight train around. 

• Like 1