What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

A British Railways Class 17 "Clayton":

50437295421_811794a78f_z.jpg

EFE Class 17 (D8585) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

A bit "off the reservation" for my British interests, but Rule 1 and all that. For anyone who doesn't follow the ongoing soap opera which is the British N gauge market, this model was a bit of a surprise as it was originally a "DJM" project, "DJ" being a former Dapol employee who struck out on his own (the "M" is for "Models") - brilliant designer, less of a brilliant business person, many projects announced, few followed through to actual fruition, sad story. The Class 17 was one which apparently made it to tooling but not production before things turned sour, evidently that was not lost and somehow acquired by one of the British retailers now themselves dabbling in production of models (Kernow, as stamped on the underside of the loco) and in an unexpected move has turned up under the "EFE" brand from Bachmann, which is being used to push non-Bachmann models to distributor networks. In an added twist this may have emerged from the same production network which Dapol uses, anyway being a British model it looks great but running quality is sub-par (jerky, probably needs the bogies de-greasing).

• Like 6
On 10/11/2020 at 6:02 PM, Welshbloke said:

I've always liked the Chessie livery. Had a Mehano/Model Power RSD-15 years ago which was a surprisingly decent runner (one of only two models in the range with all wheel drive).

As a kid I grew up around Chessie and Conrail and have always had a soft spot for their liveries. It was a real bummer when CSX took over and everything went to grey at first and then slowly shifted to blue, there's really no character to their livery. I was sad to see Conrail go but despite being minimalistic as well I don't mind Norfolk Southern's scheme and I see a decent amount of their heritage units run through.

I've been eyeballing the Clayton, problem is they look too tall compared to other stock. Apparently you can do wonders by reducing the height of the pickup tabs on the bogies, obviously at the expense of the warranty. Much like the Dapol Pacer, I'll be waiting for a cheap one to cross my path.

18 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I haven’t decided yet. There’s a 2-8-0 steam loco from the same era that looks nice in blue. Or there’s a green class 37 that is still on pre-order. 

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/category/160/wd-austerity-79250-'major-general-mcmullen'-lmr-lined-blue/372-429

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/category/161/class-37-0-centre-headcode-d6984-br-green-(syp)/371-453a

Just FYI, the blue loco was a special livery for the Longmoor Military Railway which probably didn't make it out onto the main line. The LMR was pretty much a full size model railway, used to train troops for operating railways. It was suggested as an ideal site for a museum and operational railway until local miseries blocked the plan. So they got a major road development dropped on them instead!

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
22 hours ago, Sheffie said:

After a significant delay, these are finally in stock at Rails Of Sheffield. 

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/category/162/br-mk1-tso-tourist-second-open-br-(sr)-green/374-011c

I’m looking forward to receiving two of them, soon. 

That colour? If so, your best bet is one of these

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37706/graham-farish-372-729-n-gauge-br-standard-5mt-with-br1-tender-73050-br-lined-black-late-crest-weathered

The saddo in me likes the fact this particular loco was built for the Somerset and Dorset lines, so would have hauled green mark 1s.

Or these...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37207/dapol-2s-034-002d-n-gauge-battle-of-britain-spitfire-34066-br-green-late-crest-dcc-fitted

Or even...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/34997/graham-farish-372-935-n-gauge-se-cr-n-class-31810-br-lined-black-late-crest-weathered-edition

Late crest if you want to be pedantic.

• Like 1

I believe (don't have the reference at hand) there was a Margate - Birmingham Moor Street Saturday working during the early 1960s which would have been hauled by a two-tone green Class 24.

6 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

I've been eyeballing the Clayton, problem is they look too tall compared to other stock. Apparently you can do wonders by reducing the height of the pickup tabs on the bogies, obviously at the expense of the warranty. Much like the Dapol Pacer, I'll be waiting for a cheap one to cross my path.

At well under 100 GBP (thanks to VAT exception) for a brand-new loco, it seemed worth a punt.

True, I think if I see one around that price I'll go for it! Street price here is around the £110 mark. It's just the easily avoided design flaws, again like the tubby Dapol Pacer with its undersized side windows.

Ivan Industries have been busy.

3D brass Great Western railway 1366 class 0-6-0ST that goes on a butchered Marklin BR 89 chassis

large.1401675735_GWR1366tank.jpg.e3a4d417f236ef0420c0086784bc536d.jpg

The preserved one, 1363, at its Didcot museum home

large_1363.jpg.65f25243a0a3140cdca8686f103fd2ea.jpg

We have been talking for a while about a suitable body to put on the marklin P8 chassis. Ivan has done an unrebuilt LMS Royal Scot with its original parallel boiler. The chimney looks a bit tall more like a Patriot really. These are sat in the ulrasonic cleaning bath as I type so I can do a trial fit tomorrow. I never saw one in origianl condition though we do have two of the rebuilt. taper boiler, ones in mainline service at the moment. I did see a Patriot or two so I'm tempted to do one of these as a 'Baby Scot'. particularly as the 'new build' one currently in production is one of the schems making progress (pic to folllow)

large.719947837_RoyalScots.jpg.9b4f2faaf10502d0839670fd2134cc80.jpg

The one that has been a bit of a pig is the HAA 'Merry go round' Coal hopper. These were circuit working trains that moved endlessly between the coal mines and power stations discharging on the move and were built in huge numbers, wiping out the classic 16 ton mineral wagons. They ran in rakes of 30 or 36 so I asked Ivan to do the test shot as a three pack.

The hopper bottoms are really complicated and take a lot of working out. These vehicles had a hard life but not as hard as this one that has had a collision with the loading gear at the colliery

large_HAA.jpg.1d5ef4044c5e124b46bafaf30263fa6b.jpg

You can see the automatic uinloading levers on the side. This picture was taken on the cripple siding at Worksop station where damaged vehicles were dumped pending repair

large.1402593808_HAAMGRwagons.jpg.17360fe89020b890fd6ff454711a7efd.jpg

more soon

Kev

• Like 6

Still with the Patriots

45504 'Royal Signals back in 1959 at Pontefract Baghill station. Can't take credit for this pic as I was only four years old, one of my dad's

large.1220715607_45504RoyalSignalsatPontefractBaghill1959.jpg.bc3af0551f70fdda77219519d95b4583.jpg

The new build project is a lot further than when I took this picture at Barrow Hill of what will be 45551. The boiler sections have been rolled and the firebox components are to hand

large.626918732_45551NewbuildPatriot.jpg.452819915960e072423e9b0d79e5381a.jpg

More soon

kev

• Like 4

2 European trains on the way from RG Rokko

KATO 10-1529 TGV(R) Reseau Duplex 
KATO 10-1657 Thalys PBA New Color 10-Car Set

Also on the way from UK:

Class 121 020 Chiltern Railways Blue - DCC Fitted with sound

Class 121 BR Green (Small Yellow Panel) #55028 - Unpowered Dummy Locomotive

Class 170/3 170308 South West Trains 2-Car DMU

• Like 3

Chinese 25T passenger cars

These cars are made by a Chinese brand called MTC at about 2018. Featuring interior lights, furnishing, and rotating air conditioner fans.

They were available in 4 variants: YW ("hard" sleeper), RW ("soft" sleeper), CA (dining car), and YZ ("hard" coach), and in several different paint schemes.

When they were first available, the price was about $50 each, but they sold out fast. I got these for €55 each + shipping from ebay... In China you could be looking at more than £55...

The prototypes were first introduced in 2004. They have a top speed of 160kph/100mph. They were used mostly on "direct limited express" services , but later the category of "direct" services slowly changed from real direct service with no intermediate passenger stops at the beginning to the current state where all trains that run at top speed of 160kph, even with multiple stops, are assigned to be "direct limited express".

1418972908__20201101161301.thumb.jpg.b542c842cc9e43e439f4a78a9c05951c.jpg

These two specific cars are assigned to Shanghai railway bureau, and were placed on the semi-international service between Shanghai and Hong Kong.

They are in the original scheme of blue and white. Most of the prototypes are painted into the old dark green-yellow scheme for some strange reason...

546055835__20201101161307.thumb.jpg.5d71c59c576f7a37232e1abb1ad35fc1.jpg

Inside the rooms of this soft sleeper car, there is a mirror on the door which can be opened and closed. The berths have beddings and guard rails. the black square on the walls represents televisions. There are guard rails inside the window of the restroom per prototype.

1463051439__20201101161312.thumb.jpg.0904d71a866a8a83e1b1e937bf79f1cf.jpg

Little water bottles are molded onto the tables of dining car.

1474242228__20201101161319.thumb.jpg.91b0d3313774d6b0fc8d6805ed440041.jpg

The bogie is kind of a domesticated version of the AW-96 bogies from ANF.

1866479136__20201101165642.thumb.jpg.19b90f2e7b911a16a11d12be8fc36a7a.jpg

• Like 9
On 10/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, Kiran said:

2 European trains on the way from RG Rokko

KATO 10-1529 TGV(R) Reseau Duplex 
KATO 10-1657 Thalys PBA New Color 10-Car Set

Also on the way from UK:

Class 121 020 Chiltern Railways Blue - DCC Fitted with sound

Class 121 BR Green (Small Yellow Panel) #55028 - Unpowered Dummy Locomotive

Class 170/3 170308 South West Trains 2-Car DMU

Have Dapol sorted the slight snag with the headlights on the 121?

I bought a dummy one a while ago to run with a Farish 101. The Farish unit has switches to turn the lights off when MU'd, the Dapol...doesn't. Which is especially odd on a dummy single car! I resorted to carefully snipping wires at one end, and fitting the bufferbeam details to the other end. Little things, but it's annoying when you have far older Kato KiHa 52s with switches.

On 11/2/2020 at 3:39 AM, Welshbloke said:

Have Dapol sorted the slight snag with the headlights on the 121?

I bought a dummy one a while ago to run with a Farish 101. The Farish unit has switches to turn the lights off when MU'd, the Dapol...doesn't. Which is especially odd on a dummy single car! I resorted to carefully snipping wires at one end, and fitting the bufferbeam details to the other end. Little things, but it's annoying when you have far older Kato KiHa 52s with switches.

I got a DCC decoder installed in both the powered and dummy cars and the lights are working as expected.

Yep, with DCC you can program them accordingly. 

I did wonder whether some surgery on the blanking plug would work, but I have a feeling I tried poking around and couldn't find anything to cut which would have the desired effect. It'll always run brake end inwards as the other end has a detailed bufferbeam with a dummy screw link now. 

On 11/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, Nozomi329 said:

Chinese 25T passenger cars

These cars are made by a Chinese brand called MTC at about 2018. Featuring interior lights, furnishing, and rotating air conditioner fans.

They were available in 4 variants: YW ("hard" sleeper), RW ("soft" sleeper), CA (dining car), and YZ ("hard" coach), and in several different paint schemes.

When they were first available, the price was about $50 each, but they sold out fast. I got these for €55 each + shipping from ebay... In China you could be looking at more than £55...

The prototypes were first introduced in 2004. They have a top speed of 160kph/100mph. They were used mostly on "direct limited express" services , but later the category of "direct" services slowly changed from real direct service with no intermediate passenger stops at the beginning to the current state where all trains that run at top speed of 160kph, even with multiple stops, are assigned to be "direct limited express".

These two specific cars are assigned to Shanghai railway bureau, and were placed on the semi-international service between Shanghai and Hong Kong.

They are in the original scheme of blue and white. Most of the prototypes are painted into the old dark green-yellow scheme for some strange reason...

Inside the rooms of this soft sleeper car, there is a mirror on the door which can be opened and closed. The berths have beddings and guard rails. the black square on the walls represents televisions. There are guard rails inside the window of the restroom per prototype.

Little water bottles are molded onto the tables of dining car.

The bogie is kind of a domesticated version of the AW-96 bogies from ANF.

HO or N?

Another Pirata RhB coach:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHNlbuchSkB/?igshid=ewsi7w4kwn13

Pirata were promising another 2nd, the one-off first and the luggage van to match these, but 2020 seems to have brought all of their new models to a grinding halt. Presumably they've been unable to operate their production line within Italian restrictions. I am planning a video review of this one and the restaurant car I bought earlier.

Why do pre-orders always seem to arrived around the same time? Got my Thalys, what a nice looking train. Love the livery, something a little different.

IMG_8728.thumb.jpg.93b0c9f612db87cbb208d5ac97a4d27e.jpgIMG_8729.thumb.jpg.d6e2dbb8f55ba74436e4ff82503605f8.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

An original TGV Atlantique is still on my wish list. Rode on one from Tours to Paris return a couple of times circa 1998. I did finally manage to bag a Eurostar last year, which I've been after since Kato first released them in the 90s.

The articulated design is why the TGV and derivatives have an amazing safety record. Even when derailed they tend to stay upright and in line, rather than jackknifing and hitting lineside structures or oncoming trains. 

• Like 3

I got a bunch of German things today. I bought them through a German postal consolidation service and had them sent in one package to the US. 

Finally completed my ICE 1

S4FNIjh.jpg?1

79EPE7M.jpg

This ICE 2 4 car set was a bit of an impulse buy. I may expand it with extra ICE 1 cars if Fleischmann don't make an expansion pack for it as @Yavianice tells us. 

image.png.605d178ff16244b2aa22f336ae8a9f29.png

kk7hJOG.jpg

A steuerwagen to go with my Silberling cars

EId828Y.jpg

A bundespostwagen. Another impulse buy. 

8hjJwEv.jpg

Epoch II Steamie and some cars

wWj7Qw1.jpg?1

An Epoch III Steamie to go with my multi-colored train. 

xtQWcl4.jpg?1

Sux9aF0.jpg?1

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 7