What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

I simply fell in love with the APT-P, it's design, what it stood for and what it inspired. Mostly because when I played Chris Sawyer's Locomotion, that train is my favorite one, seeing it tilt was so cool

I don't need the APT-P N Scale to tilt, I do need it to exist someway. Making the shell seems simpler than building a GP diesel, but I'm wondering which chassis should I use? A shinkansen perhaps?

Hornby are planning another APT-P in OO this year. New tooling and including the intermediate cars which only got as far as a pre-production mockup last time.

The suspicion is that the old APT tooling was amongst that lost when some racking collapsed at the old Margate plant. Apparently it was considered "too dangerous" to recover. Which presumably didn't worry the workers clearing the factory of scrap after Hornby moved!

DanielMackay

Random European purchase of the week: Fleischmann (#8299) Type SSt 34a 8-axle low-rider flatcar with load. I am a sucker for "exotic" flatcars.

Edited by DanielMackay
Inventory number added.
DanielMackay

And two purchases related to North American railroading: Kato's EMD SD45 in D&H "Lightening Bolt" livery (purchased for modeling special shipments of spent naval reactor fuel from a research facility here in the Albany region (NSE did a special run of one version of the cask cars) and I am converting a UP caboose a dedicated DODX for these shipments) and Kato's 106-015 Smooth Side Passenger Set A in VIA livery. Now to hunt down Set B.

Bought two Ibertren Eurofima coaches in SNCF's corail livery, courtesy of my local flea market.

IMG-20200906-110358.jpg

A true bargain, and surprise, surprise...

They light up!

IMG-20200906-120212.jpg

Now i know the feeling that @railsquid gets when he buys a "junk" condition EMU from an Akihabara alleyway and the whole thing lights up under power...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

A guy in the Indonesian forum was selling this repaint set. The micro ace box had some minuses and the sleeve is missing. He also told me that the directional lights are absent. 

I however found out that the switch is simply turned off, and a couple of rearranging the open wire got the lights back up again. The JR 203 series with PT Commuterline Jabodetabek Indonesia. From Jakarta City Station to Bogor.

3697.jpg

3698.jpg

3699.jpg

• Like 5

Our Brooklyn has his own Z gauge layout, A little figure of eight Bavarian scene but is always wanting to run my 00 DRS Class 68 somewhere.

I haven't got room for a 00 layout as I still have the three Z gauge exhibition layouts either in the workshop or the layout shed but I have started aquiring 00 stock with a view to doing a Furness based layout at some stage for him (and me) to use

Although they are rapidly disappearing in real life the class 142s were an integral part of the North West rail scene. I picked a Hornby one up in the old regional railway livery at a show last year as a fixer upper. It has got a set of very wobbly wheels and the motor is crude to say the least so its going to have a coreless motor and flywheel drive fitted

large.1691782392_Hornby142048.jpg.4c6516f06f3713fe732e4e417ed41f90.jpg

There is a firm doing 00 vynil wraps and door inserts so it will get re-liveried in the classic First North western scheme

142 048 at Manchester Picadilly with its bus body heritage evident

large.674385851_142048.jpg.f4a649ade26ff91a806c3c674d31deef.jpg

Next up is the Class 153. Much better riding than the four wheel efforts I picked up Hornby's 153 324 at crewe show for the right price and will be putting a sound chip shortly

large.48605139_Hornby153324.jpg.eb7cca884d39b233bc2f5983680087e3.jpg

the real 324 at a snowy Askam in Furness station

large.404198855_153324.jpg.2c59d00a41a8fa5d614dbd0ffd2ee3e0.jpg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kevsmiththai said:

Our Brooklyn has his own Z gauge layout, A little figure of eight Bavarian scene but is always wanting to run my 00 DRS Class 68 somewhere.

I haven't got room for a 00 layout as I still have the three Z gauge exhibition layouts either in the workshop or the layout shed but I have started aquiring 00 stock with a view to doing a Furness based layout at some stage for him (and me) to use

Although they are rapidly disappearing in real life the class 142s were an integral part of the North West rail scene. I picked a Hornby one up in the old regional railway livery at a show last year as a fixer upper. It has got a set of very wobbly wheels and the motor is crude to say the least so its going to have a coreless motor and flywheel drive fitted

large.1691782392_Hornby142048.jpg.4c6516f06f3713fe732e4e417ed41f90.jpg

There is a firm doing 00 vynil wraps and door inserts so it will get re-liveried in the classic First North western scheme

142 048 at Manchester Picadilly with its bus body heritage evident

large.674385851_142048.jpg.f4a649ade26ff91a806c3c674d31deef.jpg

Next up is the Class 153. Much better riding than the four wheel efforts I picked up Hornby's 153 324 at crewe show for the right price and will be putting a sound chip shortly

large.48605139_Hornby153324.jpg.eb7cca884d39b233bc2f5983680087e3.jpg

the real 324 at a snowy Askam in Furness station

large.404198855_153324.jpg.2c59d00a41a8fa5d614dbd0ffd2ee3e0.jpg

Love the 142, still considering an Arriva Dapol N 142 as that used to be my local train...decisions decisions! 

Guy

The mainstay of the Cumbrian Coast line is the class 156. Apparently the new 195s are going to make an appearance soon as they have been puttin loco stop boards on the platforms for them but for now 156s rule the roost

156 484 was a 'celebrity' one vynil wrapped for the Settle and Carlisle railway

seen at Lancaster station

large.950628919_156484.jpg.b6255c0d7ad9b782cea8e86df659cddf.jpg

The other celebrity one is 156 480 wrapped to celebrate the Royal Air force 100th anniversary. Although it passes my office a couple of times a week i still havn't got a decent stills image of it but plenty of Video footage

large.1056081036_156480.jpg.bd5a12d4baafd97fab705ddc0a417838.jpg

The Hornby ones are two of the best printings we have seen. The RAF in particular is a superb looking model and is getting quite scarce now. Both need snow ploughs adding and LED lighting and sound decoders

large.149236810_Class156s.jpg.0c679700eb9b127f07cb43dea92d87d6.jpg

Kev

• Like 6

So the 00 Northern Rail stuff is a future project. Basically just acquiring stuff as I go along. 

Before I start the new Z layout 'Tapton Junction'  I'm determined to finish some other things lurking in the loft

I made reference in the thread I ran on NS 8811, the Dutch railways Austerity tank I built in gauge 1, to a pair of etched brass gauge frets to construct two LMS 20T Coke hoppers also in gauge 1. These frets were designed by Peter Prydderch and released in 1994 and the two I got off him have sat in a box ever since!

I still have a lot of Gauge 1 components left, enough to finish both wagons and rather than do both at the same time I constructed just one first. Good decision, as I ran into all sorts of problems with it. I used quite a high melting point solder to assemble it which was so hard when set that it was a nightmare to file, sand and clean up. My favoured fibre glass pencil barely touched it.

Also, the thing distorted when I soldered the chassis to the hopper body and despite a second attempt woul not sit level on the surface plate I use to check these things. I eventually got it assembled and resorted to a technique we use on full size rail wagons of packing above the leaf springs to take out the frame twist

The second one has been started and I'm doing it differently, especially on the solder front. The body and chassis have been put together a lot earlier in the build and all of the strapping and stiffener plates will be added after. Still ended up with some frame twist though but not as bad.

So, nice clear cut plan of attack until....

there was a knock on the front door. A friend called Martin said " you used to do a bit of gauge 1 didn't you?" which has to be one of the understatements of the month!  "is this any good to you?" Three boxes of G scale and gauge 1 wheels, bogies, wagon kits etc which had been given to him and which he thought I would make better use of. This is the sort of genorousity you find amongst rail modellers in the U.K.

So I ended up adding a 20 tonne Loco Coal wagon kit made by Tenmille products to the production line which had everything in the box to complete it. Note that the kit uses real wood to represnt wood although the cast white meatl strapping is a bit clunky. 

NS 8811 is seen with the still unlettered coke wagon, the second build one and the Loco coal wagon

large.105879900_Latestgauge1projects.jpg.b0ec6747668b6c106f79099c18afa62a.jpg

All three wagons will be finished in the British rail 'Unfitted grey' colour sceme which indicated that the wagon has no automatic brake gear fitted.

Also in the box there are three pair of Archbar bogies complete with wheels and I'm already thinking about doing some bolster wagons and ballast hoppers with them.

If I carry on at this rate I might be building a Gauge 1 garden layout (Don't tell the wife yet!)

I have just sent an article to Continental modeller magazine about NS 8811 and hopefully they find is as  worthy of publishing as the Thai C56 2-6-0 that has appeared in this months

issue.

I'll post finished pictures soon

Kev (enjoying a can of Freakale works Phantom Pale ale before bed)

Cheers!

• Like 3

Wonderful story kev! Love it when folks do that! We’ve had folks send our club odd bits of stuff they’ve come across from and even pay the postage as they just want it used by someone who will enjoy it. What we can’t use we give away at shows or find homes for.

jeff

Bit of an oddity. A Pirata Rhätische Bahn restaurant car:

Pirata have (so far) released some RTR timber wagons hand built in etched brass, and a handful of modified/repainted coaches based on the Kato EW1s. The prototype was converted from a plain 1st class coach in 1993 and went to its retirement on the Chemin de Fer du Baie de la Somme last year, where it joins a few other bits of RhB stock to be used as a dining train.

Pirata have been showing test shots of a Bernina railcar and the standard 4w goods van, but no releases so far. They were also promising more Arosa Express stock (baggage, 1st and another 2nd) in the floral blue livery and I think another special paint scheme on a EW1 2nd.

• Like 3

I've been going light on North American stock for a long time now but I forgot I had ordered these back in spring of 2018, Atlas is really good at being right on time for their releases.

GP38 in Chessie livery:

GP38CO.thumb.jpg.ce1b03502e6816472be82cf92ea7c13a.jpg

GP38 in Norfolk Southern First Responders livery, finally have the locomotive to pull the two box cars and tank cars I have for it:

GP38NS.thumb.jpg.b5fc8af2e33d323e5d1e22d9fd2f7451.jpg

These literally showed up out of nowhere, I had totally forgot that I ordered them. Really nice slow-speed runners, I oped for the DC models as I'd rather install my own decoders which is a little difficult now that Atlas has wires that run from the trucks to the chassis instead of just using copper contacts.

• Like 2

I've always liked the Chessie livery. Had a Mehano/Model Power RSD-15 years ago which was a surprisingly decent runner (one of only two models in the range with all wheel drive).

6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I always love the look of the MK1 coaches, what locos are you going to use to pull them?

I haven’t decided yet. There’s a 2-8-0 steam loco from the same era that looks nice in blue. Or there’s a green class 37 that is still on pre-order. 

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/category/160/wd-austerity-79250-'major-general-mcmullen'-lmr-lined-blue/372-429

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/category/161/class-37-0-centre-headcode-d6984-br-green-(syp)/371-453a

• Like 1