What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Today I received a lockdown-busting two packages from Britain. Most of the card kits I will need, and two thirds of the 1958 train. Sorry the picture doesn’t really do it justice, but hopefully it gives an idea. 

94A0143B-5CA9-4675-AC2F-A0730552221F.thumb.jpeg.fec1c178eaf9300e5e84e317a2821795.jpeg

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 4

I always liked the Metcalfe card kits when I was into 00 scale. Now with the country closed down I even would have enough time to build them......

I am looking forward to see pictures of the finished ones!

Thomas

• Like 1

I'm awaiting a pile of Hornby loco bits to finish a few new builds from NOS spares, and hopefully the Kato RhB loco and restaurant car will turn up. Mind you it'll probably involve going to the post office to pay the customs ransom for the latter, where's my CBRN suit...

got a static model in the mail the other dayy that could have it's wheels swapped for HO scaled wheels and rolled on tracks. The previous owner seems to have started this conversion with horn hook couplers, although they are too low to be used, and metal wheels. It is a very German model, but I intend to modify the cars to American standards and at least display if not run the thing on one of my US based club layouts.

Maybe it'll fit under the NEC overhead wire, but I'm not holding high hopes for that...

0325201712b.jpg

0325201712a.jpg

0325201712d.jpg

So far, the modifications done have been the removal of the European brake wheel handles, buffers, and hook/loop coupler hooks. I have also trimmed the flanges off of some old plastic wheelsets and put them on the ends of the five axle trucks to aid in corner navigation, and I have lowered the hydraulic support beams (seen at the far right of the last pictures) out of the way of the big support beams. I am waiting on underset shank couplers to arrive in the mail before I do much else in the way of tuning it to run and before I can paint it. I do have brake wheels left over from my KoKi fleet that will work, but I need to find them...

The stripped car end and lowered hydraulic support beam:
0328202118a.jpg

Embedded upside down, of course

And the two flangeless wheelsets:

0328202118b.jpg

Also embedded upside down because why would you expect any less of my phone, hmm?

The flangeless wheels helped drastically just on a piece of flexed flex-track, so hopefully it will also help on a real layout. I doubt this monstrosity will get much run time, but I at least want to make it somewhat mobile so it can be used as a special train during ops. If it does turn out to run pretty good (and fit under bridges and through tunnels), it'll join my train of scrap cars and add to the wonders of one of the strangest trains I've ever seen.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Cat said:

"It is a very German model,"

Jah, the mörser ist very German!
: 3

And I have zero explanation as to why a full sized version would be in the US, but oh well. Perhaps I'll park it next to the two lost Rheingold cars I have.

6 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

That‘s massive 😮

Giggity

Joking aside, it's probably the second biggest piece of rolling stock I have other than my Big Boy or E-Unit fleet. Certainly not the heaviest considering it's made of hobby-grade plastic instead of metal and that is has no weights in it, but it's definitely the biggest piece of unpowered stock I have now.

Hoping that will change when I start seriously hunting for some Schnabel cars...or if I ever start building my own custom one-off heavy haulers...

54 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

And I have zero explanation as to why a full sized version would be in the US, but oh well.

Letter it as the example that was shipped to the US after it was captured and sent to the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, marknewton said:

Letter it as the example that was shipped to the US after it was captured and sent to the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hey, I like that idea, even if it's only because the traffic caused by APG has screwed up my commute to/from work on numerous occasions!

I actually didn't know that happens. They captured a Karl Morser and brought to the US?

4 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Hey, I like that idea, even if it's only because the traffic caused by APG has screwed up my commute to/from work on numerous occasions!

I actually didn't know that happens. They captured a Karl Morser and brought to the US?

No, but they did it with the Leopold.

Edited by Socimi
2 minutes ago, Socimi said:

No, but they did with a Leupold.

Oh, that's probably the gun that was on display at the museum for a while untill they moved it so people would stop crashing their cars into it.

I love how good drivers are in America. It's just so wonderful!

roadstar_na6

Mörser Ziu is in a Moscow museum, all the others were blown up in or destroyed after the war. Interesting thing that I‘ve never come across before when clicking through lots of Wikipedia articles 😄

Edited by roadstar_na6
10 hours ago, GDorsett said:

They captured a Karl Morser and brought to the US?

Yes, they did. I've seen a photo of it being scrapped in an old issue of the IPMS magazine.

Cheers,

Mark.

ranger10178

Not quite a new model as such, but the postie brought me some vinyls I ordered about 4 months ago! This included some Caledonian Sleeper vinyls for Mk2's and Mk3's.

I have vinyled two Mk2's (A Restaurant Lounge Open and a Brake Unclassified Open), as well as one Mk3 Sleeper coach. I need to purchase a couple more old Graham Farish Mk3's to complete the set (of 5).

20200424_015806.jpg

• Like 3
Welshbloke

Scratched a long term itch to buy some Amtrak stuff:

The coach packs are 106-6291 and -2, the loco is from a more recent production run.

• Like 2

Over the course of the last week, tidbits of a new train have been arriving. I finally fixed my Bachmann GS4, so I figured it was time to build a train.

Here's the repaired loco:

0520201704.jpg

The new trains minus two coaches I'm still waiting on:

0518201756.jpg

The PA-1 is going to be used to "supply power" to the cars as this is going to be run as an excursion train. It will be powered, though, as the Bachmann HS4 has dismal traction

And the stripes line up soooooo nicely...

0520202013.jpg

• Like 2
marknewton

That's a beautiful combination - a PA and the GS-4. 👍

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

I'd like to run just the GS-4, but alas, the Bachmann model has poor traction and weight, so I doubt it will pull the train up a hill on it's own.

After a long time, caused by a move and becomming a father, I finally picked up some new train stuff. All American this time.

Kato Santa Fe F7 ABBBA consist

Kato Smooth Side coaches

Microtrains Boxcars

Microtrains Heavy coaches.

Now to find out what decoders to use in the F7 units...

Regards,

Marco

DSC_0659.JPG

• Like 6

Nice haul!  For the F units I use Digitrax DN163K0B, although TCS also makes a drop in decoder for them.  The one important thing is to remember to insulate the brass track pickups with the included kapton tape, otherwise it is a very easy installation.  I do recommend soldering the motor leads to the decoder, as I have seen the plastic clip fail on occasion. 

https://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB75/dn163k0b-installation-instructions-for-kato-f-3/

Yes, congratulations on the new little bundle. Remember it's never too early to start surrounding a baby with train related items!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1