What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

You can make a dramatic improvement to old Farish stock by fitting the new blackened wheelsets. Surprising to see one of their generic "suburban" coaches turn up so far away from Poole!

5 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

You can make a dramatic improvement to old Farish stock by fitting the new blackened wheelsets.

Indeed 😄

37094199614_38de4d759f_z.jpg

Graham Farish (Poole) LMS generic coach old/new wheelsets by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Surprising to see one of their generic "suburban" coaches turn up so far away from Poole!

It's the second one of that exact same type I've acquired here (the first one was part of a job lot). Amazing what bits and pieces are floating around on the market here, I often wonder how they ended up in Japan.

Edited by railsquid

Here are some things I recently picked up.

Fleischmann ČD Railjet Rh 1216

EH90x5sWsAAJmyc.thumb.jpg.83948b2116aee66b42ba18c454abb307.jpg

It's the latest digital/sound version. Was a pretty good deal. Purchased this in preparation for the new RJ set by Hobbytrain and the fact that starting next year there will be a new RJ service to Berlin, finally connecting Berlin, Prague and Vienna under the traditional "Vindobona" name again.

Minitrix "Balt-Orient-Express"

EH90x5xW4AAZGEe.thumb.jpg.be3340b93a228694c22dea0d8c70d6f4.jpg

Hobbytrain BLS Ae 6/8 & Autoverlad

EH90x5uWwAAccH2.thumb.jpg.8bf47e0a03651da213f8503116ffccd7.jpg

Arnold DB BR VT 89 Railbus

EH90x5zXYAAjpuV.thumb.jpg.4923e56c3cf4f58ca3be83bc17471c71.jpg

Edited by Suica
  • Like 10

I can just remember seeing the scrap line of 50s at Laira depot in Plymouth, while on holiday there in the early 90s.

Talking of 1990s, this followed me home from Hereford:

• Like 5
On 10/29/2019 at 11:14 PM, railsquid said:

And another British loco, this time brand new for a change.

48979951022_c831e9c82a_z.jpg

Dapol Class 50 (50040 "Leviathan") by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Gotta love those Hoovers.

Out of interest, how do the Dapol diesels run?

I have 3 tank engines and 66% are relatively poor runners by Japanese standard.

I’m always interested as I think the Dapol stock are generally nice models. Just wish they could sort out their QC running issues.

Edited by Kamome
18 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Gotta love those Hoovers.

Out of interest, how do the Dapol diesels run?

I have 3 tank engines and 66% are relatively poor runners by Japanese standard.

I’m always interested as I think the Dapol stock are generally nice models. Just wish they could sort out their QC running issues.

For this one they seem to have had quite a rethink of the mechanism and stuff, this one moves nice and smoothly with a general lack of noise, particularly the Dapol "buzz" common among earlier diesel models. They've also moved away from the internal plugs for the lighting so the bodyshell comes cleanly away as is the norm for most other manufacturers. I haven't heard of any issues reported for this (in contrast to say the Class 33).

No doubt you can find people claiming that the NSE logos are the wrong shade of NSE for a rainy June Saturday in 1988 etcetera but overall I'm very pleased with this model, it feels like they've got it right all round. They've even adopted a more compact case with space for the instructions booklet (all 25 pages of it, though about 22 of those are for the DCC sound) inside.

I require assistance

But before that, I picked these three old E units for $35 at the last show.

$35 for all three of them, not a piece. Hell of a price. Could not walk away from that...

Anyways, I'm having difficulty identifying them. I think they may be a Mantuas, but not sure. I'm not familiar with Mantuas. One is powered, the other two are not. I have opened one of the unpowered units for cleaning and lubing and will update with pictures of the powered unit when I get to it.

1027191150.jpg

1027191150a.jpg

1027191150b.jpg

powered and unpowered units are identical on the underside. Powered on the right top, unpowered on the left bottom. (Why is embedding upside down.)
1102191016.jpg

unpowered chassis
1102191108.jpg

The unpowered unit still has a headlight, interestingly enough...
1102191109a.jpg

And interesting wheels. I'm not used to a perfectly flat face. Ususally there some sort of contour.

1102191115.jpg

1102191116.jpg

• Like 3

No, see, the Austrailians put rear shunting cabs on the back, are shorter in length, and have different roof lines, although they are more or less the same thing. I have a model of a Class 42 from Lima that ha...

Oh, it's that sort of joke...

Update with the powered unit:
Interestingly enough, it has an enclosed can motour and a metal flywheel. Said drive line spins very freely, so it may be salvageable. Will clean the wheels and contacts and such and see what happens.

1102191231.jpg

1102191234.jpg

1102191234a.jpg

1102191234b.jpg

• Like 1

I do know that it is not IHC/Rivarossi, as the moulding is different.

The drive doesn't match either of the other Lima locomotives I have, but I don't know enough to say.

Right now, I'm pretty sure they are Con-Cor models. The undersides match up perfectly, as do the horns, but said undersides lack the Con-Cor logo that I usually see on their locomotives. Could be an older/newer version without the logo.

Either way, this is the biggest motour I have ever seen in an HO model. It's either really old or really powerful or both. Considering it might be pulling a 20+ car train in the next few months, it will need all the power it can get...

Although I should probably look into getting another powered locomotive from somewhere and using it's chassis...

Clean the wheels/pickups, oil around and give them a good long run. Often a gigantic motor like that produces brilliant heavy haulage.

My most surprising one was probably an old HO Bachmann Plus F7A. Standard central motor with flywheels but given the age I wasn't expecting marvels. It turned out to be downright silky, a powered ABBA set of those would make superb working layout locos if you valued running over detailing. Unfortunately I haven't seen another since, and never got around to adding a decoder so it could run on my half-built US layout.

Update:

It didn't run because a contact wasn't attached properly. Clipped it back in place and it runs like a charm. Dragged it's two unpowered siblings up a rather steep slope with perfect ease, so it should have no problem pulling a serious train.

Suddenly saw this beauty on EBAY, the KATO 99044 KTT Double Decker Set, sold as a junk item with a buy now price of next to nothing because the "locomotive does not run". First I thought it was some kind of scam, but I did receive the item. Took a closer look at the locomotive and it turned out that the button for pickup source was set to "overhead" instead of to "track". Switched the button, and presto, working perfectly. No damages or dirt on it as far as I can see, pretty much new, but the box could have been somewhat better.

Only one of the couplers of the locomotive broke during shipping and I saw on JNS forum that a replacement is pretty much impossible to get. But I got this far... If anyone has the coupler I will be very interested to acquire it from you! Please PM me!

uc?export=view&id=1N3q36N02WLyyxBVMCjx_U

uc?export=view&id=14A7znvBOVk5qCh8IfWccF

Alongside my current Chinese collection

uc?export=view&id=1y2HBquLCl4mveGizY6YLf

• Like 10
59 minutes ago, disturbman said:

💓

I am not sure how well Taiwanese would take at being lumped together with China 😉

Or the Hong Kong people, of course. On my layout, I pretend that everyone is at peace 🙂

• Like 4

Some recents...

Hobbytrain DR BR VT137/VS145

EKYaWSTWsAY-bpT.thumb.jpg.67daccaf1b8b79a07f42a081393bc2dd.jpg

Brawa DB BR 445 TWINDEXX Vario

EKYaw3MXYAAJx42.thumb.jpg.65acd7e6abf473c7632a339d0aedf81b.jpg

Minitrix Rheingold TEE 7 Set, which was a pretty good deal since the loco missed a little part that's not available as an individual spare. However I managed to buy one for an older model, modified it and now it's absolutely fine. 

EKYbUHuWwAIWI0w.thumb.jpg.5a2d0e5ce93b0c50b74ebea1812cc1be.jpg

• Like 8

I was weak, and it was such a good price...

photo5159093280229664825.thumb.jpg.1b21e8e276710c2ff74787784f19ef12.jpg

Sadly turns out to be missing a driveshaft, hopefully rapido has replacement parts to fix it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
19 hours ago, TheNicofabi said:

Well... since we now only had this one left I had to just buy it...

I really like EU freight cars but the money you'd have to invest to make a proper freight train always kept me away.

• Like 2
Just now, Suica said:

I really like EU freight cars but the money you'd have to invest to make a proper freight train always kept me away.

True dat...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Suica said:

Why I've been unable to build any sort of reasonable train in HO untill recently. I now have two or three good passenger trains, but it's beem a looooong time coming and a long time saving.

DanielMackay

Just want to applaud you all for one of the for the enthusiasm and diligence shared on this particular thread. Reading every post, jumping off and checking websites and wiki pages and even contemplating an order have made for a lovely first day of 2020. Best wishes to all for many postal deliveries in the new year!

And my own modest contribution. Full Kato ICE4 set received in early December - a lovely kit, not yet run as the household has been busy with other activities. Eager to track down an ICE2 set and badge up as the Amtrak demo unit.

Daniel

Edited by DanielMackay
  • Like 1