What did you order or the post deliver? (Worldwide Models)

Suica

Ordered the Albula line Ge 4/4 III as Modeltrainplus had one left in stock. The RhB stuff seems to have sold very well indeed judging by how hard it is to find some of the models other than at speculator prices.

Was going to wait for the Ge 4/4 II but it looks as if that may be a hard one to get hold of. MTP are already describing it as sold out on pre-order. I'll grab one if there are any left next month but at least this way I have a loco for the EW I coaches as well as the Glacier Express one.

Got my first Broadway Limited locomotive, the NS Conrail Heritage unit ES44AC. Runs great, the sound is a nice gimmick and louder than I though it would be. Also even though it's an anachronism I got a caboose for it too, nothing like having a locomotive that meets the strictest emission standards hauling a rake of hoppers full of coal. 5a7b35194af9c_photo(60).thumb.JPG.9e3675859a6ffcece00b6d4e5e140d78.JPG

• Like 1

Some eBay purchases (from USA sellers).

The Beige/Red DB 103 is a Fleischmann 7375 (IIRC) and arrived on Monday (about $60 delivered, no original packaging).   The Red DB 103 is a Fleischmann 7377 (About $95 delivered in original packaging).   These two are identical inside and should be relatively easy to convert to DCC.  There are some instructions (in German) found on the German website 1zu160.net

The Red diesel is a DB 218 and is Fleischmann 7237.  (Also about $95 delivered with original packaging).  It also looks to be straight forward to convert.   There are some instructions on 1zu160.net but  have not confirmed yet that my model is the same Fleischmann DB 218 they show.

I have not test run them yet but will this weekend.  They all look in very good condition.  (Edited:  I have now test run them.  They work fine, though they all need a cleaning and maintenance session.  The two red ones look basically like new, old stock, that has been sitting for years, and the red/beige was listed as used, and has more dust and stuff in it and while it ran fine, after a little prompting, it was a bit slower than the others).

In all cases I want to replace the miniature bulbs with small LEDs.   We'll see if I can arrange a way to do so so that the LED is in the same place as the bulb so that it lights up the lights correctly.

These join my DB 110 I have from HobbyTrain (bought new and with NEM651 plug, that I already populated with DH05C decoder)

large.gWomkMrDR3e0OZRt4ZKA4w.jpg.04df2ffb6c9f260f8136e8aa81f5bfb1.jpglarge.5a7b7fe5ae460_kXmxTz4bS0aWx9s420Izw.jpg.cefe2d0993ed6dcc9756b7bd244154af.jpglarge.wj3iW35pQouhUAMo0Mzp8A.jpg.615e310bb76118a8960e9aa451732a8e.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Some eBay purchases (from USA sellers).

The Beige/Red DB 103 is a Fleischmann 7375 (IIRC) and arrived on Monday (about $60 delivered, no original packaging).   The Red DB 103 is a Fleischmann 7377 (About $95 delivered in original packaging).   These two are identical inside and should be relatively easy to convert to DCC.  There are some instructions (in German) found on the German website 1zu160.net

The Red diesel is a DB 218 and is Fleischmann 7237.  (Also about $95 delivered with original packaging).  It also looks to be straight forward to convert.   There are some instructions on 1zu160.net but  have not confirmed yet that my model is the same Fleischmann DB 218 they show.

I have not test run them yet but will this weekend.  They all look in very good condition.

In all cases I want to replace the miniature bulbs with small LEDs.   We'll see if I can arrange a way to do so so that the LED is in the same place as the bulb so that it lights up the lights correctly.

These join my DB 110 I have from HobbyTrain (bought new and with NEM651 plug, that I already populated with DH05C decoder)

large.gWomkMrDR3e0OZRt4ZKA4w.jpg.04df2ffb6c9f260f8136e8aa81f5bfb1.jpglarge.5a7b7fe5ae460_kXmxTz4bS0aWx9s420Izw.jpg.cefe2d0993ed6dcc9756b7bd244154af.jpglarge.wj3iW35pQouhUAMo0Mzp8A.jpg.615e310bb76118a8960e9aa451732a8e.jpg

Wow! Nice purchases. I really like the Red/Ivory DB 103. What coaches are you going to run it with?

8 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Wow! Nice purchases. I really like the Red/Ivory DB 103. What coaches are you going to run it with?

Whatever ones I can find that are "approximately" correct.  I am not really, at this time, trying to be "prototypical" as long as we are same Era or close enough :)   

I may worry more about it in the future when I get a more permanent layout for a German/European railroad.  I have a few Era 4 passenger coaches being delivered this week from a US store, a few more other passenger coaches on order)

Whatever ones I can find that are "approximately" correct.

Rheingold, old style Königsee and the newest White with red thin stripe Intercity cars are appropriate for this loco.
3 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Rheingold, old style Königsee and the newest White with red thin stripe Intercity cars are appropriate for this loco.

Thanks! 

I had been looking at the Rheingold cars for a while for this.  And I also have some of the newest IC cars on reservation though I may not pull the trigger (I am way over budget on this hobby at the moment :)

10 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Thanks! 

I had been looking at the Rheingold cars for a while for this.  And I also have some of the newest IC cars on reservation though I may not pull the trigger (I am way over budget on this hobby at the moment :)

Go on! You know you want it! 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ARNOLD-0144-Wagen-Set-Rheingold-unbespielt-Neu-Spur-N/173138399938?epid=1823466672&hash=item284fda52c2:g:6NYAAOSw5nxaWMZs

Edited by gavino200
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

Says it may not be sendable to the US as the seller has not put in any details for US shipments and I would need to ask.

I am over budget :)

Hey Chad, would you mind posting about your experience converting the BR 103 after you get round to it? I'm planning on acquiring one of those little beauties soon.

8 hours ago, gavino200 said:

But that's the wrong set for BR 103! For this set you need an E10.12 of the DB. The BR103 needs more of this set https://www.ebay.de/itm/Arnold-HNS4221-4-teiliges-Set-Rheingold-1983-DB-Fluegelzug-Spur-N-NEU-/382042465426

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

But that's the wrong set for BR 103! For this set you need an E10.12 of the DB. The BR103 needs more of this set https://www.ebay.de/itm/Arnold-HNS4221-4-teiliges-Set-Rheingold-1983-DB-Fluegelzug-Spur-N-NEU-/382042465426

AFAIK the BR 103 in red/ivory runs (as it is currently still in operation in these colors) with pretty much anything. Even regional red "Silberlinge" cars, or gray/red OBB cars. So you can combine it with pretty much anything you want, and it most likely will still be prototypical at some point.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Hey Chad, would you mind posting about your experience converting the BR 103 after you get round to it? I'm planning on acquiring one of those little beauties soon.

Sure.  I tend to take pictures as I go.

Luckily I get two shots :)

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

You may be lucky and find the 103 has a decoder socket. I know mine has one.

These don't.  I've taken the top off both.  Both are identical and a non socketed one.   1zu160.net has instructions for this very model and it does not look that hardN

10 hours ago, Yavianice said:

AFAIK the BR 103 in red/ivory runs (as it is currently still in operation in these colors) with pretty much anything. Even regional red "Silberlinge" cars, or gray/red OBB cars. So you can combine it with pretty much anything you want, and it most likely will still be prototypical at some point.

Looking at the recent pics at https://trainspo.com/class/83/ I think you would be right.  ÖBB, SBB, any number of different looking DB cars, etc.

Right now my goal is not being prototypical.  It is to indulge my longing of my youth when I rode DB trains a whole ton. :)

ETA:  Here is a picture of the Prototype for the red/beige one.  A photo from 1976:   https://trainspo.com/photo/46797/?list=unit

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, chadbag said:

Right now my goal is not being prototypical.  It is to indulge my longing of my youth when I rode DB trains a whole ton. :)

Ha, that's my situation too. I'm going back to Germany this year for the first time since my early twenties. I can't wait. 

56 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Ha, that's my situation too. I'm going back to Germany this year for the first time since my early twenties. I can't wait. 

That is awesome.   I may end up there for a week in 2020 for a reunion.  

I married a woman from Japan almost 18 years ago.  Except for one trip to Germany in late 2000, soon after we got married, almost all of our travels have been to Japan to visit her family.  Hence the interest in Japanese trains.  We've ridden a ton of Japanese trains in the last decade and a half.   My interest in trains is emotional, which is why US trains hold no interest for me.  I have no emotional attachment to them, while Japanese and German trains store strong emotional attachments for me.

Most of my German train riding was 86-87 when I lived there for almost 2 years, and a long trip I took in 90 for 3 weeks with a Eurail pass, almost all in Germany.  I had a car when I was there working in 91-93 so mostly just saw trains -- did not ride them myself.  The wife and I did go to Sweden in 2016 to pick up a Volvo and we rode some Swedish trains.   It was interesting to compare them to the Japanese trains (and German trains) I was used to.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, chadbag said:

That is awesome.   I may end up there for a week in 2020 for a reunion.  

I married a woman from Japan almost 18 years ago.  Except for one trip to Germany in late 2000, soon after we got married, almost all of our travels have been to Japan to visit her family.  Hence the interest in Japanese trains.  We've ridden a ton of Japanese trains in the last decade and a half.   My interest in trains is emotional, which is why US trains hold no interest for me.  I have no emotional attachment to them, while Japanese and German trains store strong emotional attachments for me.

Most of my German train riding was 86-87 when I lived there for almost 2 years, and a long trip I took in 90 for 3 weeks with a Eurail pass, almost all in Germany.  I had a car when I was there working in 91-93 so mostly just saw trains -- did not ride them myself.  The wife and I did go to Sweden in 2016 to pick up a Volvo and we rode some Swedish trains.   It was interesting to compare them to the Japanese trains (and German trains) I was used to.

Interesting. I started going to Germany at almost the same time. From when I was about 16 I used to go to Germany during the summer holidays to work and make a shit ton of money to last me the rest of the year. I grew up in Dublin so it wasn't such a journey. Just a Ferry boat and then a hitch-hike across France and Germany. I always took the train for the return journey when I was rich from the summer. Germany was my first experience being away from home by myself with money to spend. Needless to say, countless adventures were had. So everything about Germany has a strong emotional attachment for me. 

I spent most of my time in Munich, but also, some time in Karlsruhe and Saarbrücken. I've never been to the north so I'm fixing that by going to Berlin and Hamburg next month.

I notice you've got a decent command or at least understanding of German. I taught myself German when I was a kid so I could get better work and meet girls easier. I've always loved German - how it looks, sounds, even the grammar. I always wanted to get back to it and improve it, but there's never been a good time or reason. So I've used this trip as an excuse to work on my German again over the last year. I'm very excited about going back there.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Priority Mail brought this today:

Fleischmann Era 4 DB passenger/Baggage cars.    Won't claim they are prototypically correct together or with this locomotive.

large.t5TlkTSHTS6ZKb6mqtgjBg.jpg.d043d74783326c16bfb5d34d39b4432f.jpg

large.KIisa2C0SeimiwYJEpV4Iw.jpg.8bbdca004d067b682ace349fbc39c1d0.jpglarge.8GtLZhdmR7qZDWqd2G3MgA.jpg.5c46330eec76c5a6daacc6b56863d8b7.jpglarge.enXKRjHsQvCSiKY3FvTH6Q.jpg.7f8b68abb347cdcbb085bdef84e2fcd4.jpg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Priority Mail brought this today:

Fleischmann Era 4 DB passenger/Baggage cars.    Won't claim they are prototypically correct together or with this locomotive.

Looks great. How do the wheel flanges work with the Kato Unitrack? Are they fully compatible? I picked up some old Lima Orient Express coaches a while ago. The flanges are too large a diameter so they sort of bump along a little. I'm hoping that's not an issue with Fleischmann.

3 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Looks great. How do the wheel flanges work with the Kato Unitrack? Are they fully compatible? I picked up some old Lima Orient Express coaches a while ago. The flanges are too large a diameter so they sort of bump along a little. I'm hoping that's not an issue with Fleischmann.

I just hand rolled them and they seemed fine.  I did not run them behind a locomotive powered.

(I don't have any track (test or otherwise) set up at the moment and I had to get the pics done before the wife came home :)

2 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I just hand rolled them and they seemed fine.  I did not run them behind a locomotive powered.

(I don't have any track (test or otherwise) set up at the moment and I had to get the pics done before the wife came home :)

That's good to know. Thanks.

Weird that your wife doesn't want you taking over the kitchen with N-scale trains. I'm shocked.

6 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

That's good to know. Thanks.

Weird that your wife doesn't want you taking over the kitchen with N-scale trains. I'm shocked.

I don't need her asking about new boxes coming :)   She has tolerated over night layouts at times...

amazon.co.jp delivered a bunch of Kato switches and some track today (Sent from Japan on 2/8 Japan time, delivered in Utah 2/9 Utah time, or 8/2 and 9/2 for those who reckon time backwards ;) ).  The wife wanted a music CD which was an excuse to have a shipment made.  I put the box in my office and put the CD on her pillow.

Edited by chadbag
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Fleischmann will be fine; Lima N gauge stuff has unusually large flanges (though it's easy enough to change the wheelsets out for more modern ones)..

• Like 1