Old road vehicles in contemporary Japan

railsquid

*Looks at last car* I see you like tofu, but isn't that a Trueno SR? :o

Takumi's is an GT-APEX, this is an GTV. Wasn't the SR an Euro-only thing?

Also a little bonus:

20130102_161014.jpg

Edited by Suica

Takumi's is an GT-APEX, this is an GTV. Wasn't the SR an Euro-only thing?

The GTV was one below the GT-APEX IIRC. The SR is basically a base version of an AE85 without frills. The SR internationally was also known as the SR-5 rather. Don't quote me on this though xD

We still see quite a lot of AE86 and so on here. Especially in the weekend they come out to play. I saw a Tofu delivery version as well rolling past one day :P

Looking through my 2012/2013 photos, I found a few old cars

P1090042.jpg  P1050439.jpg  P1050521.jpg  P1050786.jpg

P1050895.jpg  P1050965.jpg  P1060036.jpg  P1060117.jpg

P1080686.jpg  20130110_161443.jpg

I especially like that white Hakosuka in front of Senso-ji.

That Triumph TR3 has left hand steering which is just plain weird for a British car in a country that drives on the left.

That Triumph TR3 has left hand steering which is just plain weird for a British car in a country that drives on the left.

Haha, yup! I thought the same!

I also saw various LHD Jaguars. I guess it's easier and cheaper to import cars from the US?

Would you be referring to that turquoise MGA?

If you enlarge the image, you can make out the octagonal MG emblem on the hub caps and boot lid.

Despite some superficial resemblance, looking at photos of each car will make the differences obvious.

For my money, the MG is much more attractive - but then I once had one.

Haha, yup! I thought the same!

I also saw various LHD Jaguars. I guess it's easier and cheaper to import cars from the US?

I've heard it said that there's a certain prestige with left-hand drive cars as they're genuinely foreign, even though if from the UK they're genuinely foreign with right-hand drive. (Not that there are many genuine UK brands anymore but that's another kettle of fish).

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Likely the prestige with LHD is for vintage cars only, as it dates them to the now-nostalgic period when foreign makers deemed it unnecessary to modify for the Japanese market (pre-80's).  Of course now, European makers make RHD for Japan market cars, as that is the vast preference among customers here, other than the minority who like to drive hummers/GMC suburbans/Lincoln Navigators and other monstrous American gas guzzlers.

I don't think it is a case of Euro car makers just starting to make cars for Japan.  Japan isnt the only country with rhd vehicles as normal.  Japan is a car market that was near impossible to break into 1970-2010.  And they make pretty good cars.  It's just another market that Euro car markers are now trying to get into.  Especially the prestige car market.  Watch any anime or live action Japanese film, and all the rich fatcats and in rhd Mercs.

Edited by katoftw

Would you be referring to that turquoise MGA?

If you enlarge the image, you can make out the octagonal MG emblem on the hub caps and boot lid.

Despite some superficial resemblance, looking at photos of each car will make the differences obvious.

For my money, the MG is much more attractive - but then I once had one.

Your right. The problem is that I'm used to Iding MG's from the front where it's obvious. 

Because our railsquid likes old Volvo's so much. Here is a little spontaneous shot of our local Doctor.V:

IMG_20170702_154408.jpg

• Like 2
marknewton

Didn't get an answer from the increasingly useless google, so I'll ask Toni instead. What's " Doctor V"?

Cheers,

Mark.

Didn't get an answer from the increasingly useless google, so I'll ask Toni instead. What's " Doctor V"?

"ドクターV". "V" as in "Volvo". Never heard of them either.

Now, what I'd really like to see is something truly exotic like a Soviet-era Lada or a British Austin Allegro (saw one in Bangkok once so there's hope...)

Now, what I'd really like to see is something truly exotic like a Soviet-era Lada or a British Austin Allegro (saw one in Bangkok once so there's hope...)

Oh believe me, those do exist. I know a Japanese guy who owns an old East-German Simson Schwalbe