Greenmax 38 -Trainshed

alpineaustralia

alpineaustralia

I thought some people might like to see my Greenmax trainshed (kit No.38) which I have dry brush weathered and rusted.

post-29-13569923104284_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923104626_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923104983_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923105312_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923105661_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Alpine, looking good. Do tell how you painted it up? What did you use for the rust effects?

Do the end doors open on the model?

alpineaustralia
Do tell how you painted it up?

I used Gunze acrylic paints mainly because it is easier to work with. 

I sprayed the model all over without the window glass installed.

I then gave it a wash with the same colour gray with a litttle black mixed into it - effectively very dirty gray coloured water.

I then drybrushed with the same colour gray to highlight the detail.

I then lightly drybrushed with the same colour gray but with a little white mixed in, to further highlight the detail.  This is a lighter drybrushing than the first.

I then even more lightly drybrushed with the same colour gray with a little more white mixed in, again lighter than the drybrushing before.

I then drybrushed rust colour (testors rust coloured paint) where I thought rust would accumulate on a real shed.

I then lightly sprayed the window glasss that is to be installed in the roof with a earthy brown colour to simulate accumulated dust and dirt. I then installed the glass.

I then sprayed a clear matt coat onto the roof including the glass to give it a sun scorched, worn out look.

I then sprayed brown horizontal lines on the glass that is to be installed on the sides of the building. The lines coincided with the horizontal bars on the windows in order to simulate the dirt that collects on the bottom edge of the bars on a window.

What did you use for the rust effects?

Testors rust

Do the end doors open on the model?

Yes they do.

For which wide is it (33/37mm)?

I think it is 33mm wide. I am no sure

Is that a gray of a silver you dulled down for the base color?

Gunze light gray accrylic paint. Only the air ducts on the roof are metallic stainless steel paint from testors.

alpineaustralia

You take most all of the paint off the brush by (say) brushing it on paper and then run it over the parts of the model that you want highlighted so that those parts catch what little paint there is on the brush bringing out the detail of those parts.  The air vents on the side of the shed, and the bolts or rivets that hold the corrugated sheets on the side of the shed, are the best example in these photos.

The weathering you did on the building makes it look real. That is one of the problems I have with the Kato & Tomix structure when you buy them, they look too perfect. I have to try your dry brushing technique. It looks great.

alpineaustralia

I have attached two further pictures of models with drybrushing applied. 

The first is a T-62 Soviet Tank. You can see some of the detail and edges brought up a little with a lighter green than the rest of the body. What you dont necessarily see is that a darker wash was applied before hand. The darker wash finds its way into all of the crevices and so when you drybrush with a lighter colour, the crevices appear darker and the detail appears lighter, contrasting the difference and bringing out the detail more. The picture doesnt do the tank justice, it looks a lot more weathered than the photo shows.

The second is an Israeli APC/command vehicle. If you look at the detail just above the shovel on the roof of the vehicle, you can see what I am talking about above with the lighter khaki colour bringing out the detail .

I hope this better explains the technique. More detail can be found in the hyperlink:

Also see:

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html

I should also add that these close up photos always seem to take away the effect. It looks a lot better in reality.

post-29-13569923105976_thumb.jpg

post-29-13569923106631_thumb.jpg

You take most all of the paint off the brush by (say) brushing it on paper and then run it over the parts of the model that you want highlighted so that those parts catch what little paint there is on the brush bringing out the detail of those parts.  The air vents on the side of the shed, and the bolts or rivets that hold the corrugated sheets on the side of the shed, are the best example in these photos.

Aha--thanks! I'll have to try that--as Bernard says, I have some Kato buildings that are looking a little too clean.... :-)