Second attempt with N scale.

The_Doctor

The_Doctor

It's been a very long time since I've been here and since that time plans have changed. I'm glad it's taken this long to get to this point as it's given me time to think about how I want things to work and what I really want to do with this.

The half-arsed attempts before weren't cutting it and the layout is no longer what it was or what it was planned to be, but now a full sized layout residing in the empty space in the living room. It's new dimensions are 2400mm x 2100mm x 900mm using 19mm yellow tongue flooring as the base board. We figured if we were going to do this we should do it properly and build a solid layout maximising the space we have available. Still not that large, but it does allow for a much higher curve radius and space for scenery.

I know now for certain that I do want to run some EMU's on a smaller radius line in the centre of the layout. I also want to run some longer trains on the larger outer lines. My thoughts on this were to simply run the tram line as a separately controlled DC layout and run the longer trains on DCC. That way I wouldn't have to worry about getting DCC decoders into smaller trains.

I know the cost of DCC is heavy and I've noticed availability on decoders is limited for the places I shop at online, but I would still prefer it over DC for the majority of my layout as long as I don't have to do too much jury rigging to get a train to accept a decoder. I also don't plan on running that many trains at once and also don't plan on getting that many for my collection so a large DCC system would probably be a waste on my layout

I'm still not 100% on what to do with the switches, I do know DCC is a no go because that's way too expensive. I'm thinking about using the TOMIX switches for them. I had a look on Hobby Search and found a few products that seem to relate to the points.

TCS High Power Point Power Unit N

Points Control Box N-S

Points Control Box N-W

As far as I could decipher from HS the N-S is for single switches and the N-W is for the double crossover and double points. Does the power unit power just the switches without the need for the DC control system? I guess if I was going to have a DC tram system it wouldn't really matter would it, I'd still need a DC controller like this:

TCS Power Unit N-1001-CL

At the moment I'm in the process of redesigning my layout to fit the new baseboard and once I'm done I'll have a design for you all to critique and hopefully give me some feedback on.