Track down.

Markn

After not much planning just putting the track down and seeing where it goes. This is what I've achieved.

Not much compared to some of the lovely layouts on here but it's a start. Just excuse the mess on the board. edb961b992bbe7050c86769715005e33.jpg

Sent from my Sony Xperia XZ using Tapatalk

Edited by Markn
  • Like 9

Good start. Can you access the table from all sides? If not, it might be hard to reach the back when you've done more scenery.

serotta1972

After not much planning just putting the track down and seeing where it goes. This is what I've achieved.

Not much compared to some of the lovely layouts on here but it's a start. Just excuse the mess on the board. edb961b992bbe7050c86769715005e33.jpg

I really like the front area - can't wait to see all the trains parked and running through.

• Like 2

Imho, you might want to research ladders, aka. when the turnouts are added with their straight direction diagonal. That would give you longer sidings and eliminate the zigzagging of a train going to the stub tracks.

• Like 1

Good start - a lovely looking board.

What dimensions do you have to play with?

It's 10ft x 4ft.

• Like 1

Imho, you might want to research ladders, aka. when the turnouts are added with their straight direction diagonal. That would give you longer sidings and eliminate the zigzagging of a train going to the stub tracks.

If those are all the points you've got, then that's how you'd do it first. Though replacing three of those LHs with RHs will get rid of the S-curves. 

It's 10ft x 4ft.

I should've stuck with my first thought of 4ft by 8ft.

Edited by Rod.H

If those are all the points you've got, then that's how you'd do it first. Though replacing three of those LHs with RHs will get rid of the S-curves.

Of you could flip the yard over and you suddenly have the right points for it.

True, but I was also thinking of the point feeding the bay platform, giving that a tweak wouldn't hurt. Flipping that around then means relocating the station building. If the curve feeding the platform track matches the radius & length of the point then it should be easy to do.

Thank you for all your brilliant ideas. This layout is going to be very much a learning curve for me. I think I will look into flipping the station siding. I do very much appreciate all your advice.

The town area i think will be an interesting challenge.

Yavianice

I can't tell really well from the picture, but I recommend you putting a 62mm piece between the switch and the main curve on both sides of the station. This, along with the previously mentioned avoiding the zig/zagging railyard and siding (on the other side of the station) will avoid derailing issues when you have more trains that are more picky.

I have flipped the yard over and got rid of the zig zag effect. I have to admit I am much happier with how it looks.

serotta1972

Looking good and you got a good amount of real estate there and able to run 6-8 car trains.

• Like 1

Yard looks much better set up that way plus it's going to give you more room to store trains. 

• Like 1