The beginning of an experiment

Rmsinsd

I need tight radius track!

...but not Kato, Tomix or others with built in roadbeds. Here's why. I'm building a Kato Unitram cityscape. I want to run an elevated oval above the roads and buildings. Right now I have Kato elevated single line track pieces and pillars, but it's tough to work them into the layout.

So I ordered some of Kato's Rahman catenary posts, to see if they would at least give the impression of girder supports. Bear in mind, they are spindly, but this is for a B-Train setup, so I'm not looking for a lot of realism! They look like they have potential, but now the viaducts look too massive.

Which bring me to my issue. I could use Atlas style open tiework track and lay boards, etc., along the track, but I need a real tight radius. The current Kato track is 249mm, or around 9". Ideally something sharper would be cool, so the track can follow the streets more closely.

So, any suggestions?

post-1699-0-42902200-1493423819_thumb.jpg

post-1699-0-88230400-1493423857_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You could try Tomix Mini Finetrack R103,R140 or R177 on a styrene or balsa base on top of the Kato Rahman catenary posts. It won't look realistic but it will give you tighter curves. Remember in Chicago many el lines ran down alleys.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctaweb/7946072480

I grew up under NYC elevated lines in the '50's & '60's, so your picture elicits some kinda memories. I'll take a look at the Tomix stuff.

I was kinda looking for open tie work.

Edited by Rmsinsd
  • Like 1

I grew up under NYC elevated lines in the '50's & '60's, so your picture elicits some kinda memories. I'll take a look at the Tomix stuff.

I was kinda looking for open tie work.

Open tie work may limit your options to flex track.

Two things.

If you go with flextrack, and I see no reason not to, I would convert it to bridge track - with the ties much closer together.  Micro Engineering had offered N-scale bridge track, but I can't tell if it's still available or not.  You can make your own by cutting out the runners between the ties and pushing them closer together - you might want to use some tacky glue to hold them in place.

You had seen the previous Chicago L discussion, so know that I (and a few others) think elevated flex looks a whole hell of a lot more realistic if it has a reasonable support structure under it, vs. just being "draped" between the supports.  In the photo you posted I'd say that's much too long a distance between the supports.  I realize that it's a tough situation, but I've recently posted examples of stretching the kato rahmen catenary.

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

I'm not satisfied with the n scale catenaries. - not strong enough. Turns out though that Kato makes HO versions of the same structures, which would be stouter. I agee that track shouldn't be draped between supports, my photo wasn't meant to represent the final distance, just the appearance of the supports. I'm intrigued with the idea of cutting flex track ties. Hmm, thinking is hard!

Being as I started this thread, I'm going to digress from the tram layout for a bit. Another setup I have is on a 5 x 2.5 foot plastic utility table that I painted green. I've configured the track principally for Bandai B-Trains, but Kato and Tomix get exercised on it too. There are already eight turnouts, and I have plans for more!

It's basically two ovals, with a siding on each loop, and a central holding yard. There is one double crossover connecting the two ovals, and eventually the yard section will include a reverse loop, to get my freight locomotives on the front of east and westbound trains. For now, I have fun pulling local trains onto the sidings to let the expresses run through.

Now before y'all start telling me that the Kintetsu, JR, Odakyu and Keihin trains don't all run on the same lines, you must understand. I have youngsters who help me pick my subjects, primarily by color!

At this point, I don't plan to add any permanent scenery, but........never say never!post-1699-0-92474900-1499639083_thumb.jpg

• Like 4