Stuttgart Hbf - full size in N scale

velotrain

I think I had seen some photos of this previously, but just discovered that it will be going on public exhibition for the first time later this year. 

It reflects one man's extreme ambition and accomplishment.

I was stationed in Stuttgart in the mid-60's, and still have strong memories of the station and surrounding area.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.stellwerk-s.de/&prev=search

Nice! Unfortunately, since a few years they break down all old Stuttgart station for a modern underground version "Stuttgart 21". Extremely expensive and a lot of people got really pissed by it. And, nobody yet knows if there really is need for such a big underground station.

One of these technical "miracles" like the Berlin airport...

• Like 1

What I wonder is how they work on it, since it's such a large continuous modeled area.

I particularly like the photo from the station throat, showing how wide and complex the trackwork actually is.

About the only benefit I can imagine for the new station is that it probably is no longer a stub terminal, and no doubt it was very expensive indeed.

I wonder if early knowledge of this is partly what inspired him to preserve the classic station in model form?

The new station is meant to be a much smaller through station. This would allow high speed trains to pass through the city without reversing. It would also eliminate most non high speed services in a similar way cape gauge lines are closed in Japan whenever a new shinkansen line is opened. Together with the new highspeed lines that bypass smaller towns, this will cut of most commuter traffic into the city center and deposit the commuters at a far away new commuter station. This helps move them towards using cars and buses. On the other hand the station area will be turned into a highrise residential complex for those who must work in the inner city and can't commute by road or high speed intercity trains.

ps: The layout is sectional, so it's possible to take it apart for access, but last time i heard about it it was non funcional due to electric problems.

ps: The layout is sectional, so it's possible to take it apart for access, but last time i heard about it it was non funcional due to electric problems.

Yes, but it must be a real pain and time-consuming.  That also makes it almost impossible to get to a derailed train, so the track has to be near perfect.  Opening it up as a public exhibition will put even more pressure on them to make sure everything is operating flawlessly.