Kato + TomyTec Scare

ATShinkansen

ATShinkansen

Last night I started taking down my temporary layout. Among the items on the tabletop were a set of TomyTec aircraft parking bases and a set of Kato container forklifts. One of the forklifts had been sitting on the base for a couple of weeks or so, and when I went to remove it, the tires were sticking to the bases. I think the tires were chemically reacting to the base (don't know if the bases are painted or molded in color). The damage is hardly noticeable, but still alarming, especially since I had thought about using the bases as a container terminal. Would a coat of Dullcote be sufficient to neutralize the bases?

Thanks

Those softer rubber plastics seem to have some reaction with other plastics and paints, I've seen that before. Dullcoat could not hurt to try (probably give a more natural texture effect to the road piece anyway) the. Test it on a shelf with one of the forklifts.

Was it in sun at all to get warm?

Keff

ATShinkansen

It might have had some sun, I don't know. The sun shines into that room about mid morning, but I don't remember if it reaches that part of the room.

The second forklift sat on the base next to the first one for a couple of days and was not affected at all.

Usually this takes a long time. May have been a bit of oils in that vinyl batch of tires on the one that caused it. Fair amount of ir and some us comes thru regular window glass.

Jeff

I have several forklifts from Fujimoto Hobby/pro hobby. Most are still in pkts, but I assembled a couple to display on my layout. No sunlight gets on layout in my shed, but one of the forklifts had tyres on one side split. They may have been split in packet without me noticing. I suspect they were affected by sunlight from display or storage somewhere before I purchased. I superglued the big split in main large tyre and it worked okay. still holding after 12months. Have never noticed any other reaction on soft tyres before.