Shortcircuits and power packs

Khaul

Alright, I am thinking about getting a second power pack. I have the trusty, simple Kato pack that comes with the M2 set. One idea is getting a Tomix 1001-CL. I would use the Tomix for main line operations so I could keep the lights on passenger trains when they stop at the station. The Kato would be used for shunting in the freight branches. That would make two power districts separated by insulators.

Now, to take freight to the main line I would need get the two packs on the same polarity and more or less the same voltage so the locomotive would transition smoothly from one district to the next.

My question is: what happens if by mistake the packs are set to opposite polarities? The locomotive would receive one polarity through the front wheels and the opposite from the back. Are modern locos and power cars equipped with some kind of electronic device to prevent a shortcircuit through their motors? If not, what would be the consequences? Would it be enough to just reset power packs?

The circuit protection is in the Controllers/Power packs not the locos.

Damage

It depends on the circuit protection and which draws the most current. Most likely damage \will occur in the CL1001 with its pulse circuitry.

I had a setup with 2 controllers operating two lines. I used power routing with a DMZ (Dead Man Zone) It was a section of track that had isolators on both end. I would place cars onto that section and push on car across the DMZ so the other line could get it. 

There was another discussion about using two power packs with the same concept.

The DMZ is the orange. Each line can access and operate on the center line. You could wire the switches to flip flop for protection.

med_gallery_153_16_175199.jpg

Inobu

Edited by inobu

The Kato pack is a simple transistor throttle. The Tomix one is a pulse width modulation system. You should use the switchover circuit described by Tomix to switch both loops to a single pack when the turnouts are set to cross over. This way it will be impossible to have different polarities or different signals on the two sides as only one pack will power both while crossing over. The crossover turnout and the throttle select lever should be fixed together with the connecting bar.

ps: if you have unitrack turnouts, you'll have to rig them for working with Tomix control levers...

The Kato pack is a simple transistor throttle. The Tomix one is a pulse width modulation system. You should use the switchover circuit described by Tomix to switch both loops to a single pack when the turnouts are set to cross over. This way it will be impossible to have different polarities or different signals on the two sides as only one pack will power both while crossing over. The crossover turnout and the throttle select lever should be fixed together with the connecting bar.

ps: if you have unitrack turnouts, you'll have to rig them for working with Tomix control levers...

That's interesting. Where do I find a description of the Tomix switchover circuit? I do have everything Kato so far...

It's in the description of the Tomix throttles and the switch itself. There was a thread about it a few weeks ago. The switch that has to be paired with the turnout throwing switch is the 5533: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/5533.html

If you plan to get a Tomix controller, just get this, a turnout control switch and some extension cables to cut up for connecting the Kato pack to this switch along the Tomix pack, then the output to the two loops. Also connect the Kato turnouts that are part of the crossover to the Tomix turnout switch by cutting up a few extension cables.

diagram9.jpg

Edit:

The previous thread is here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12823-tomix-px280-and-5536-selector-switch

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1

It's in the description of the Tomix throttles and the switch itself. There was a thread about it a few weeks ago. The switch that has to be paired with the turnout throwing switch is the 5533: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/5533.html

If you plan to get a Tomix controller, just get this, a turnout control switch and some extension cables to cut up for connecting the Kato pack to this switch along the Tomix pack, then the output to the two loops. Also connect the Kato turnouts that are part of the crossover to the Tomix turnout switch by cutting up a few extension cables.

diagram9.jpg

Edit:

The previous thread is here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/12823-tomix-px280-and-5536-selector-switch

Alright, thanks, really good to know! I will not start experimenting with crossovers just yet but I'll get there soon.