Low Bridge!

bill937ca

No wonder JR East has those heavy yellow steel clearance guards at their viaduct overpasses.  This is the Chuo Rapid Line above Kanda Station. Video by Sandbee.

Another unattentive driver, this time at Yurakucho Station.  Video by Kabururibon.

Oh dear.... 3.9m is quite low, while it's passable for most single deck buses and Japan doesn't exactly have double-decker buses, it is still rather low, especially for huge box trucks and container trucks...

Will service be stopped due to safety reasons? This could mean the lorry driver and its company being fined by JR badly...

Edited by JR 500系

Actually you have to watch the old rail lines in Central Tokyo.  There are some very low bridges.  This is Tokyu at Jiyugaoka. Video by Mandocron.

I think there is a 1.7m underpass on the Chuo Line near Sendgaya.

Edited by bill937ca

Oh dear.... 3.9m is quite low, while it's passable for most single deck buses and Japan doesn't exactly have double-decker buses, it is still rather low, especially for huge box trucks and container trucks...

Will service be stopped due to safety reasons? This could mean the lorry driver and its company being fined by JR badly...

As there are workers standing on the bridge parapet, you can bet at least the Keihin-Tohoku line is not running at that point.

Here's the bridge in normal operation: https://goo.gl/maps/aAMk3JfQndr

On 4/15/2017 at 9:08 PM, bill937ca said:

Another unattentive driver, this time at Yurakucho Station.  Video by Kabururibon.

Meanwhile, same location, earlier this evening...

34479585021_bff08acb09_z.jpg

Yurakucho accident by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
fix image link
  • Like 1

Low bridge protection under Akihabara station:

34459371682_4337fd5aa1_z.jpg

low-bridge-akihabara-station by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The protection beam is much lower than the visible bridge because the Shinkansen tracks on the other side of the viaduct are transitioning from viaduct to tunnel, and the road dips down beneath them under a much lower bridge; view from the other side: https://goo.gl/maps/wgLcMG8e7JA2

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
On 5/12/2017 at 8:04 PM, railsquid said:

Meanwhile, same location, earlier this evening...

34479585021_bff08acb09_z.jpg

Yurakucho accident by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The flashing warning lights on the concrete buttress protecting the yellow protecting beam are still bent out of action:

34527075060_04af36cb96_c.jpg

yurakucho-bridge-divider-warning-lights by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
fix image link
  • Like 2

So there are lights and a concrete ramp to protect the steel protection beam that protects the old riveted bridge and people still run into it despite having yellow and black stripes and two huge flashing lights on top?

ps: there is a less destructive variant of the height limiter that has a ramp on top witth a freely rolling tube covered with hanging chains for noise that is reset by gravity if the oversize vehicle stops and backs out before the roller reaches the end stops...

After dozens of sardine can openings on Storrow Drive, mostly with rental trucks and dumb drivers who forget they're not in a car, they installed something somewhat similar to the chains - which won't stop you but make it clear that you hit something you shouldn't have.

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/bullseye-river-roads-tied-truck-drivers-ignore

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/if-youre-going-slam-your-truck-storrow-overpass-do

http://www.universalhub.com/files/images/2011/thunk.jpg

I was almost cajoled into doing this with a moving truck in Charlottesville many years ago while helping a friend move. She had me drive the large truck and we came to a wooden rr tressle with a road dip under it. Sign said 2" taller than the truck was posted and I stopped and she railed on me to go for it and I was hesitant with the dip in road, air pressure, and who knows if sign were right or road resurfaced and sign not updated. It was going to be about 15 minute reroute to avoid and she was pushing me so I went 2' ahead and then decided not to. Got out of the truck in curiosity and the roof was just touching and still at an an angle so a few more inches ahead would have been a bad scraaaappppeeee! So I let a little air out of the back tires to be safe and reversed out! Good to have some caution...

Jeff

• Like 3

At least you were aware you were driving an unfamiliar vehicle ;-)

I think "most" professional drivers pay attention to the signs.

But it's also about if the sign is correct, angle of in and out road, etc. I read the signs and my friend assumed it meaned it was ok with 2" difference! Too many backing trailers into tight places made me learn to measure carefully and then don't assume...

Jeff

You know you live in a safe country/city when people are willing to walk through that at night ;-)  . . . but I didn't see any women . . .

On 5/27/2017 at 8:38 AM, railsquid said:

The flashing warning lights on the concrete buttress protecting the yellow protecting beam are still bent out of action:

34527075060_04af36cb96_z.jpg

yurakucho-bridge-divider-warning-lights by Rail Squid, on Flickr

They've been replaced with a new set, though it wasn't operational when I went past.

34397170803_75d3a27132_c.jpg

yurakucho-station-new-warning-lights by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid

So, in this week's episode of "Adventures of the Flashing Bridge Warning Lights at Yurakucho Station", we see the lights are gone, vanished, elsewhere, with a humble orange-and-white cone standing in as a presumably temporary replacement.

34964934643_819ac627cf_z.jpg

yurachucho-lights-again by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Perhaps a traffic equipment odaku went amuck stealing a juicy bit? ;-p

Odd that just that light could get taken out but not scrape the pole behind it as well like with a large truck side mirror. But it looks like quite a set back with the foundations later to slam a mirror on it. But that first rollover I guess did not scrape the pole, just drove up the guard wedge there and clipped the light before rolling. Maybe it's become the local place for thrill seekers to try to tip the car up to attempt some 2 wheel driving!

Maybe you can put a webcam on it on YouTube so we can take shifts watching over the poor little divider! Looks like there might be a lot of action there!

Jeff

So, in this week's episode of "Adventures of the Flashing Bridge Warning Lights at Yurakucho Station", we see the lights are gone, vanished, elsewhere, with a humble orange-and-white cone standing in as a presumably temporary replacement.

34964934643_819ac627cf_z.jpg

yurachucho-lights-again by Rail Squid, on Flickr

That poor warning light needs a warning light or guard rail.

• Like 3

Apologies for keeping you in the dark for all these weeks, but I feel it's my duty to report that the road cone has now been retired to the edge of the road (off to the left of the above picture), leaving the bridge protection protection utterly unprotected,

• Like 3

I am shocked. Was it theft?

Dude, this is Japan. People do not simply steal road cones.

Real story: 3~4 years ago some work was done on the road I live on, the construction company left behind a pile of 6 (six) road cones. They are still there, and visible on Google Street View (though two have been inofficially reappropriated to create an ad-hoc no-parking zone next to the kindergarten opposite).

Anyway, apologies for the delay, I know you've all been frantically refreshing this page for the latest updates to the Yurakocho Bridge Protection Flashing Lights story, and this week's breaking news is... wait for it...

the lights are back!

35550099164_e1ca02881e_z.jpg

Yurakucho Station, 2017-08-04 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Not operational, but they're back. The road cone (in fact there appear to be two) are still in situ, presumably as a fallback should the lights disappear again.

• Like 3