Japanese mailboxes

enodenlover

enodenlover

Can anyone tell me in what year Japan replaced the red cylinder mailboxes with the current red rectangular boxes? Thanks. 

Bob

• Like 1

Round post boxes were pre-war.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%83%B5%E4%BE%BF%E3%83%9D%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88#.E5.BD.A2.E7.8A.B6

"In 1949 after the defeat , "mailbox 1 No. (round type)" appeared, which became the final type as a round post. In 1970, the successor "Postal Delivery Box No. 1 (square type)" appeared, and the production and installation of the round mold was completed."

In Tokyo 23 wards there are only 5 left as of 2013.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%B8%E5%9E%8B%E3%83%9D%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

The cylindrical "pillar box" type of mailbox ceased production in 1970 with the introduction of the square type, so replacement began in the 1970's, though gradually rather than all at once.  I remember seeing many of the old type back in the 70's and 80's, but there are few left nowadays, with only 5 left within the 23 wards of Tokyo as of 2013. 

• Like 1
enodenlover

Thanks bill937 and bikkuri bahn. The new layout I just started is set in 1968 so I know just what to use now.

enodenlover

Thanks to everyone who responded and posted photos. Toni, any chance that you could produce these someday? There's one attached to the Tomix wooden station that I ordered, and one's included in the Greenmax  old time building kit that's on its way here but two really aren't enough for the town that I'm planning. As far as I can tell no one is selling these in N gauge as separate items.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who responded and posted photos. Toni, any chance that you could produce these someday?

Sure can do. I've already made three other mail boxes, so why not the round ones as well? :)

• Like 3
enodenlover

Sounds good Toni. I imagine that there's quite a few modelers who'll find these mailboxes useful.

Bob