TOMIX 92139 JR Electrical Inspection Cars Series 193

sectionmaster

sectionmaster

i recently picked up 1/2 of a TOMIX 92139 JR Electrical Inspection Cars Series 193 2-car set; the training(?) car (the one with 2 pantographs). Though it's not prototypical, I want to use it for an express locomotive for a 2 or 3 car container consist.  The piece came with both the track cleaning truck and the regular truck.  my 1st problem was I could not get it to move on the track as the wheels had no traction (motor works). I checked the orientation of both installed trucks and they are turning the same direction. I think I finally fixed that problem by adding traction tires.  At least it moves now.

But, it will only move in 1 direction, backward.  even if using the direction toggle on the power pack.  it only moves backward with the direction switch in either position.   Is this trailing chassis only set up to move in reverse (relative to the lead chassis)?   I have not taken the motor case apart yet to check the drive train.

post-6741-0-52840900-1491056514_thumb.jpg

Edited by sectionmaster

I think you might have to turn the motor over in the grinding unit. Actually the non grinding variant of this set has only one motor and the trailer unit has power bogies but without top gears and a motor. You might want to check if the non grinding bogie has a top gear in it at all.

Check if there are diodes in the unit. That was the case in the Minitrix ICE-X units as well. They did it because only the leading unit should pick up current so the complete train cannot overrun traffic-light-controlled track sections.

It was a simple task to short the diodes, took just 5 minutes with a soldering iron. Now even a lone single unit can run both directions.

sectionmaster

thank you KVP.  that was it. I turned the motor over and moved the contact strip to the other motor terminal and now it travels forward.  it still doesn't reverse direction with the control pack toggle switch....guess that's a bad diode...I can live with that.  thanks again.