My Main Station Module

wasunka

Well, Keiman and Jeff, that's some good ideas.  The included stickers or other pictures will help, diffused LED's (I bought two cool white cheapie strings at the after Christmas sales) and a goodly number of figures should round it out. 

Keep ideas and suggwestions coming, I do appreciate them.  This is the main structure on what started at 2' and ended up a 10', 4-section module.  That includes the offset curve end sections (2' each) to bring the track back to the 'normal' TTrak position.

Joe

The station module was shown at a week-long setup at the Mahon Library in Lubbock, TX.  The club did N and HO setups there in support of the summer "Reading Express" program.  

At this show, the station bash made it onto the station modules.  It drew some nice responses.  I have a ways to go (a few hundred figures, fences, trees, vehicles, etc.) but it is progressing.  The approach (formerly called 'offset' or whatever) modules, which will bring the tracks back to the 'normal' TTrak position, are awaiting one package of curves from across the water (along with a number of other items.)  In the mean time, it is set backwards on the tables to minimize mismatch.

So much to do, so many honey-do's in the way -  new rain gutters for the house are calling.  Loudly. <sigh>

Here's three youtube videos.  I NEED a better camera:

Joe

post-186-13569925023824_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569925024595_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569925025327_thumb.jpg

post-186-1356992505167_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569925052504_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Incomplete it may be, but it's still a very nice-looking station module.

I enjoyed the videos too. Moving trains are always better than static ones.

Here's a couple pics of one of the Terminal Approach modules.  The straight will have to be cut to length, as indicated by the pencil pointer.

I used R315-30's throughout, and achieved separation stagger by adding an S29 to one end of each track.  I may re-do it later with R348's on the outside of each curve pair.  The terminal end has feeder track pieces.  The S62 double is just there to maintain track spacing.  It seems to be trying to tell me it needs a grade crossing between the curves.  Any comments?

Why is it that I can plan carefully, deliberately, in detail, place an order and then discover one more piece is needed?  I'm at least 100 miles, maybe 300+ miles from a H.S. that stocks track . . . :-(

Oh, well, it gives me the opportunity to order more extra stuff I really "need."

Joe

post-186-13569925055597_thumb.jpg

post-186-1356992505633_thumb.jpg

Why is it that I can plan carefully, deliberately, in detail, place an order and then discover one more piece is needed?  I'm at least 100 miles, maybe 300+ miles from a H.S. that stocks track . . . :-(

Joe

I thought that only happened to me. It got so tiresome that I just started to buy 4 of everything just to have. It has helped on a number of occasions and saved on gas (turbo car).

Inobu

This is a great thread!  its exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to do for the project party this July except I have the Red and cream city type station.

I've been mulling the 2x3' or 1x6' module thing around in my head, would you have still gone with what you have now you've had time to play with it a bit?

Cheers

Graham

Graham,

I think I would still go this way, with two 3x in the terminal and two 2x approaches for the track swing. I have a pari of 6x straights that make a 12x yard, and they are a bit unwieldly at times.

As for the approach module, I was playing around in the shop and slightly rearranged the track, getting a fit with no cutting.  Here's a diagram with Kato p/n's on it, and a pic of where this end is going.  I'm using a 124mm viaduct double to allow a street to go under.  Now, where did I put that saber saw . . . ?

Joe

PS - modeling is slower than usual, something about installing new rain gutters.

post-186-13569925064881_thumb.jpg

post-186-13569925065204_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'll take it :)

I'm hoping my layout can be for home as well as exhibiting so setup / takedown is important to me