DC to New York Day Trip

serotta1972

serotta1972

Hello, I'm going to be in DC for a conference and have one day free before flying back to SF.  I was thinking of hopping on a train to New York, grab something to eat and walk around a little bit and then had back to DC.  Maybe take the Acela to New York and then a Regional train on the way back.  Any tips or suggestions.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Junior

Junior,

It's not a really pretty ride up to NYC, but classic train row scenery. Acela is expensive, but if there are delays the regionals get backed up and they try to keep the acelas on time. You can also stop off in philly to stretch your legs or get a beer.

Yell if you have an evening free, maybe we can grab a beer.

Jeff

serotta1972

Thanks Jeff, yeah the ticket I"m looking at for one way is $164 on the Acela - expensive joy ride but will be worth the experience.  It'll be my first experience with a high speed train and so I will have some reference when I go to Japan and ride the Shinkansen.  I was also thinking of just going to Philly for the day which will give me a little more time to do some sight seeing.  

Junior

I was also thinking of just going to Philly for the day which will give me a little more time to do some sight seeing.

You could probably work in a ride on a SEPTA tram.

Yeah philly might make a day you could get out for a bit. Not a lot to see at penn station NYC (it's just a cement basement no grand station innthe old sense) or in that area, but a subway ride up and back to grand centeral terminal would take a couple of hours and is a great station to visit. Both penn philly and union station Washington are pretty to walk around in. Lots of transit stuff in philly for a local ride.

Well acella is not in the class with Shinkansens, but better than most amtraks! Comfy train.

Cheers

Jeff