Derailing N700

Thankyu6300

Thankyu6300

Hi everyone, I purchased a second hand four car set for a Kate n700 now making it 8 cars and the freakin thing always derails. It's running around on 348 radius turns. I first checked all the couplings and that seems to be fine. It also runs perfectly with 6 or 7 cars but as soon as I add the final one it always pops off the tracks. Any ideas. I'll upload a video later today

Sadly my experience with the kato n700 was the same. I could not get it to run in the 16 car formation on the kato double viaduct (r381/414) w.o derailing pretty often. It was the worst running Shinkansen by a wayyy big margin and I have a lot of them. I've had issues with a few other Shinkansens but have always been able to isolate and fix the problems.

I tried hard to try to figure out what was causing then derailments and could not find anything conclusive. The derailments were random but seemed to be linked to the diaphragm coupler system, but could not find anything systematic to work on. Finally sold it to another club member that knew the problems and he had them as well. Could be a bad unit, but I talked with a few others that had similar issues.

Cheers

Jeff

Thankyu6300

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was thinking it had something to do with the diaphragm too it's almost as if the extra weight makes it pop out too far.

I suspected something like the issue kato had with the tilt mechs in other trains, but my derailments happened at many different car locations and at different track locations that never seemed to repeat. I swapped cars around to see if that would show something but again no good pattern. All trucks seemed to move fine. Again my best guess is the coupler mechs locking up randomly and lifting a wheel to derail, but at times it was in a longer straight section which did not make sense as well...

Jeff

Thankyu6300

So I've tried a few things since coming home. I've taken the couplings off and put them back on. I've tried the suggestion katoftw but the bogies a clipped in just fine. I tried placing the motor car more centrally and that did help a little bit but still get the same results. As soon as the final car is added it just soils it proverbial undergarments. What a shame I really do love this model. It really has something to do with the diaphragms and additional weight along with tilting

Edited by Thankyu6300