Hello from Brighton, England

andy19_64

After waiting many years the wife has finally let me build a train set at last.

I was going to go 00 gauge but decided to go N and i am glad i did as there is so much more you can do size wise.

Anyway i have built myself a 9ft x 4ft layout and after starting with Peco track switched to Kato after seeing how easy it is to use (points with motors etc).

I started with a couple of Graham Farish class 350's but after looking at the cost of uk trains and the limited EMU's + DMU's etc i was amazed at the amount of Japanese trains you can buy and the price is so much better.

Anyway i will now start perusing the forum to work out the best place to order my first Kato train. I will be running to rule 1 so any traain that looks nice up to 8 cars.

I am sure i will be posting in other sections in time asking for help.

Many Thanks

Andy

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Andy!  

For buying directly from Japan, http://www.modeltrainplus.net, http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/http://www.amiami.com, and http://www.loco1hobby.net/en/ are pretty popular spots to buy from, and Hobby search (1999.co.jp) is usually a good place to look to see whats available, they tend to have good pictures and an easily searchable website, even if they don't always have the best prices.  

Also dont count out tomix models too!   The ones labeled "high grade" are their top quality line and are beautiful models, if a bit more pricey. 

Welcome Andy!

You're sunk now! Japanese trains do get you the best bang for the pound out there and kato and tomix sectional track is excellent! The range of trains available is also amazing.

Cheers

Jeff

scotspensioner

Welcome to the forum,Andy

Turning to Japanese N gauge is the best thing I've done.i looked at it years before I finally took the plunge.What started as an idea for a fill in with 4 trains is now a set up with 14 trains and more planned!

I've definitely turned Japanese!

Alex

Welcome to the entrapment. There is no return from here. Keep it within bounds, or else you end up living in Japan, because of the trains... Like me...

Thank you all for the welcome.

i must admit looking at the trains i can see why you can get carried away and end up spending loads of dosh, some of them are gorgeous.

I have set my layout and currently just running a class 42 warship around it with 5 coaches, although it is not the most exciting of layouts it will keep me going for a couple of years until i can get rid of my daughter and then have her bedroom!!!

Claude_Dreyfus

Welcome to yet another UK resident!

You are just across from Gaugemaster at Ford. They are the UK Kato importers. They have a few bits in stock, but they are full price.

Worth having a look at this chap however.

http://www.traintrax.co.uk

He has a decent range available.

Yes, have to agree, Gaugemaster are not cheap and considering that they are the UK importers they do not hold a lot of stock. I sometimes pop in there on the way home from work when i am on an early shift just to see what they have.

I have used traintrax for a few items but i have found topslotsntrains to be excellent. I have ordered 99% of my track from him and it always turns up the next day.

Trying to decide which train to buy first, looking for a 5 or 6 unit to start. have to be careful with shinkansen sets as i am running 315/282 radius curves.

if anybody has a good idea for a first train for me to buy from Japan please let me know.

Claude_Dreyfus

Well, the world is really your oyster in this respect. As you say, there is a dazzling array of choice. Old, modern, local, express, traditional, futuristic.

In saying that, one of these may be a good starter for 10...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10283199

I have a few of the three-car sets. They are still current, but look different to what you get in the UK.

They come in various colours and from more than one manufacturer. They are also a nice length train, without having to bother with lots of add ons.

scotspensioner

Hi Andy

I'm in Scotland so I'm dependent on mail order.istarted with Osborn's but most of my trains have come from train tracks.My track has come from Hattons's!.

Train tracks has a 10-1371 which isbthe equivalent of a BR 150 sprinter and I've got one

Like you I'm on 315/282 mm radiucurves by keeping them on the outer tracks I run a 500 series 8car and an E7 6 car shinkansen

My set up is truly portable,being packed away after each session

I use YouTube to see how the real ones look

Hope this is of use

Alex

Hi Andy

Welcome to the Forum

I am also in Sussex and frequent Gaugemaster on occasion although they rarely put their full stocked items out on display so you need to have the website on your phone while in the store if you want something particular.  Their prices for Kato rolling stock is usually almost 3 times the Japanese price so I tend to avoid but I have added a few bits of track from them at times if I didn't want to wait for stuff to be delivered.

If you're using R315 and R282 curves some of the rural/local line trains would probably be better as they will look quite at home navigating through the tighter curves. I guess the best place to start if you haven't visited Japan would be to have a look at photos and videos on Google etc..and get inspired.

scotspensioner

Going back some years before i did finally get down to buying Japanese,I remember M G Sharp regularly had a display layout at the Glasgow Model Railway show.

I should have started then!

Well i bit the bullet and on Tuesday morning i ordered a Kato E259 "Narita Express" + the 3 add on coaches from model trains plus.

As this was my first time ordering from japan i hope i have done it correctly.

I paid for EMS shipping and i received an automated email back confirming the order and the payment has been taken from paypal but i have heard nothing since.

I presume i should get some sort of confirmation and tracking number when the item is dispatched.

How long should EMS take to the UK.

Looking forward to my first Japanese train!!  

Alex,

Most shops send you a shipping notice within a day or two of payment and that usually has the tracking info for your shipping type.

Nariichi usually sends out shipping emails pretty fast. contact him if you have not gotten it in a day or two after ordering.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Hey Andy,

Nice choice on the Narita express!  Model trains plus is a good shop, they usually send out an automated email confirming your order right away, then you'll get another email (usually about two days later) confirming shipping, and with the tracking number included.  Hope this helps!

-Sam