7501 delivered to Kagoshima City Transport Bureau

I love how the Japanese city tramways often buy their new cars in ones or twos like a modeller who spotted something in the hobby shop he just had to have even though it doesn't really match anything else he has.

• Like 2

I love how the Japanese city tramways often buy their new cars in ones or twos like a modeller who spotted something in the hobby shop he just had to have even though it doesn't really match anything else he has.

I'm always amazed by this as German tramways usually try to keep their fleet as uniform as possible to reduce maintenance costs.

• Like 1

I'm always amazed by this as German tramways usually try to keep their fleet as uniform as possible to reduce maintenance costs.

This is probably more of a financial issue as smaller (often 3rd sector) japanese tram companies are buying whatever they can afford. This could result in some rather patchy fleet. The maintenance costs are higher, so what you spare during purchase will probably be spent later on keeping the cars running. Especially true if the trams are from multiple manufacturers or 2nd (3rd) hands.

I don't really focus on japanese tram companies (yet) but I was amazed how "colourful" the Hiroden's fleet was. Even more than Kumamoto Shiden.