Kato C12

beakaboy

Hi everyone. I am trying to find a chassis only shot of the new Kato C12 for a friend.He wants to use the chassis under a New Zealand TT Shapeways model and needs to see if there will be ample room to get the body sitting low enough. thanks for any help!

Hi,

I am tempted to add the Kato C12 to my collection. This is the model that was first released last year and it is now up for a second release, right? I'd like to know as much as I can about the model running quality, practicality of use and so on. In particular, does the C12 come with functional knuckle couplers that can be installed at both ends? My intention is to use it for shunting and pulling longish freight trains slowly around the oval. 

Thanks in advance.

Nick_Burman

Hi,

I am tempted to add the Kato C12 to my collection. This is the model that was first released last year and it is now up for a second release, right? I'd like to know as much as I can about the model running quality, practicality of use and so on. In particular, does the C12 come with functional knuckle couplers that can be installed at both ends? My intention is to use it for shunting and pulling longish freight trains slowly around the oval. 

Thanks in advance.

Still with the Tsurumi Line in your mind? JNR used C11s and C12 based out of at shed at Hamakawasaki to handle switching and transfer chores on the Tsurumi line...including the run down Keikyu's Daishi line to the Ajinomoto plant...

I have a C56. Given the fact that both locos are more or less the same, I have installed half a Micro-Trains coupler (the jaw part) in the hole used by the dummy coupler. It's more than enough for switching. I remember seeing a Japanese site which showed how to install a MT Z scale coupler in front. Alas I did not keep the address...

Cheers NB

Hi Nick,

Yes, of course the C12 fits in my Tsurumi line plans. It will go well with my pick and mix freight car collection.

I have reserved one already.

Pablo

The C12 comes with a dummy knuckle that attaches to the pony truck and replaces the non functional dummy coupler on the pilot like the C56.

I have installed a McHenry coupler on the front of Micro Ace C12s and one of my D51s for double heading but haven't looked into the C12 or C56 yet.

• Like 1

The C12 from Kato is a nice model and runs very smoothly.

As mentioned the coupler can be swapped out for a non-opening front knuckle coupler, rear working knuckle coupler and removable snow ploughs (all Included). I was a little unsure of the metallic looking pony trucks at first rather than the black ones on other Kato steam locos. These do collect current and feed the motor along with all other wheels so you get smooth running across insulated frogs. Both Head and Rear light work depending on direction of travel just like the Kato C56. 

This is my favourite SL from Kato and looks great in either direction hauling coaches or freight.

I'm waiting for the updated C11 due out soon. Looks like they've used a similar chassis to eliminate the large motor drum in the cab on the old version.

• Like 1

Hi Khaul

The front knuckle coupler is a single moulded plastic piece which does not couple/uncouple easily. Due to the coupler not opening and closing it's not ideal for shunting but it's fine to pull rolling stock around without issue. I've found this couple does not have enough clearance to couple automatically when you pull up to coaches.

The rear coupler is the standard 2 piece coupler you get with Kato locos( two separate pieces kept closed with the copper strip spring)

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Here are a few photos of the usuable front knuckle coupler on the C12. Sorry not the best camera on my phone but hopefully this gives you an idea.

post-2039-0-30268000-1489703373_thumb.jpg

post-2039-0-22195100-1489703390_thumb.jpg

post-2039-0-29652200-1489703418_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You flatter me sir!!

I was dabbling with the AK Interactive Trains undercarriage weathering set I picked up late last year.

It's the first attempt at an enamel based weathering product and I'm not sure I have quite got the hang of it yet. Certainly with N gauge the less is more when it comes to weathering and I had to go over this with thinners and a clean brush to tone it down. The first attempt looks a lot less cared for but once I starting getting to know how the medium works, the second wagon came up better.

Just didn't like the shiny black plastic look of these Kato TORA wagons and the weathering brings out the wood grain nicely.

The shiny plastic tarps are indeed awful. Yours looks way better. I am experimenting with weathering buildings in n scale with varying success, but too scared to do anything in trains yet.

Actually I've had less success with buildings. I have discovered you get a nice wooden look with some of the Vallejo acrylics with a dry brush technique over the top. This worked well on the sides of the Kato rural station and wooden footbridge. Haven't yet found a effective method or medium to get a believable kawara roof. A light grey wash runs into the gaps and brings out the detail but there's something missing.

Hello,

I am desperately looking for a new kato c12 at an affordable price (less than 120 € / $ approximately).
Do you know where i'm most likely to find one?

thank you in advance for your help.

Last release of the C12 was July 2015.  I got mine then and they were gone fast. Prices for a new C12 would be through the roof.  No easy solution.

Hello,

That's what I was afraid ...

So by waiting for a new edition, I'm going to have trouble finding a tender locomotive for my little excursion train.

Apart from C11 and C12, there is nothing else affordable at the N scale?

Tramway and Tomix also made a few C11s but they're probably equally sought after like the Kato. Your best bet is to browse Yahoo! Auctions, there is a thread here that explains how to do it from overseas.

MicroAce made lots of SLs too but most of them are (some more, some less) out of scale, so I'd avoid those. Their E10 is to scale thought, but again not readily available anywhere sadly.

Thanks for your advice, I'll look around and wait for a good deal (or a reissue).

In the meantime it will be my future 8620 which will stick to the service ... It arrives next week, I can't wait for the weathered…