Question about a utility pole sign

nah00

Ok so I know what all the other ones are (they're mostly self-explanatory) but what is the purple sign I circled on here for? The sticker sheet is for the Tomytec concrete telephone poles. The only thing I've seen on a real utility pole that even looks like this is the markers for addresses/blocks but they looked to be blue.

Also sorry for the awful picture....

post-3438-0-45646300-1488378970_thumb.png

Edited by nah00

Peering at them through a magnifying glass, they're definitely address markers, though darned impossible to read. The 3 horizontal characters at the top appear to read "??区" and the first two vertical ones appear to be "富井" (Tomii). I guess the colour is supposed to be blue, the purple tinge is presumably due to printing limitations...

FWIW the ones in Tokyo are green.

• Like 1

Thanks! That's what I thought they were but didn't see anything this color. Did learn though that not following the 'school route' markers is evidently a big no-no. Can't believe I never noticed them on the ton of urban/suburban scenery pictures I have.

Forgot to mention I have no idea how the colours are decided - within Tokyo they're green (I think, at least I don't recall seeing any non-green ones), outside Tokyo you see blue ones, but it's not something I've really paid much attention to.

They don't seem to be terrible useful anyway since most times it's easier to get directions to find an address versus trying to find it. My guess is the color is a municipal thing but most probably stick to blue just to standardize. 

At least my utility poles look less boring now, just wish the sticker sheet came with more of the yellow and black 'don't run into me' signs.