Mystery train in the Kato 2017 catalog?

gavino200

There's a very cool looking train shown on page 95 of the 2017 Kato catalog. It's a photo of a prototype. I don't know if Kato actually makes a model of it, but I'm not sure why they'd feature it if they didn't. I can't find it on the Kato website. The article is headed "column". There are three photos. The Nagomi on top, an EH800 in the middle, and the mystery train at the bottom. There's nothing in the caption or the article that looks like a serial number.

It's silver. Electric. Very modern looking. Six cars and two cabs. The front is black glass. There are narrow four white lights stacked vertically on each side of the glass. There's a thick silver rim below the black glass which is sharply angled at the edge. The top and roof are gently curved. 

Any idea what this is?

I only have the picture in the catalog which I can't post. 

The cheapest per person cost for a 3-day/2-night journey on that luxurious train is 500,000 yen! If any of you go please post pics and videos! Amazing interior design.

Interesting Kato'd show this in their catalogue. My guess is that they already have obtained the licence for this train to make a model of it. The only question is then when they are going to produce it. The futuristic looks of the E001 Series will make a nice addition for any layout I think, as it can run both on catenary and diesel generators.

This one is a bit similar, but a bit cooler looking. 

The general thread for this train (Tōbu 500 Series 'Revaty') and speculations as to which company will be making this one as a model can be found here.

• Like 1

I remember seeing the Shiki-shima in last year's Kato catalog. I had no idea what it was. It was the only train in the catalog that Kato didn't have a model of. They featured a picture of it, without naming it, in a little article about power systems, old and new. How much of a coincidence was this? Should we look for clues about next years big feature train in the 2018 catalog?

Edited by gavino200

Lol. Me too. It's nuts. The worst part is that the box it comes in is a factor in my wanting it. That makes no sense. The interior light and details are also cool.

But I'm resisting. I'm somewhat appeased by having a 10 car koki set on the way and a Yamanote subway sitting under the Christmas tree.

11 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Lol. Me too. It's nuts. The worst part is that the box it comes in is a factor in my wanting it. That makes no sense. The interior light and details are also cool.

But I'm resisting. I'm somewhat appeased by having a 10 car koki set on the way and a Yamanote subway sitting under the Christmas tree.

Kato knew what they were doing with that box!  I have to keep reminding myself I'm holding out for the turbotrain or Mizukazi.
...and then I realize amiami has it for only $250 usd...

• Haha 2