Tomix J.R. Electrical Inspection Cars Series 193 (2-Car Set) - powered truck

sectionmaster

sectionmaster

i have a Tomix J.R. Electrical Inspection Cars Series 193 (2-Car Set) that has both factory supplied geared power trucks.  1 contains the serrated track cleaning wheels and the other truck contains what appears to be a standard wheelset.  The standard wheelset doesn't provide enough traction to even move the 1 car of the set.  It doesn't look like it was meant to have traction tires.  I don't think I have the 2 trucks on backward (wheels turning in opposite directions).  The idler gears are on the same side of the carbody.   Am I missing something?

Hello,

You've bought one of the world's worst track cleaning cars.  Don't ever use it for the purpose it was made.  You'll be sorely disappointed if you do.  Tomix later released the same model without the track "grinder".  Better you get one of those.  Your one will go nicely in the display cabinet.

The cleaning mode could be disabled by replacing the bogie with the spare trailer one in the box and the modern vacuum/grinder car could go between the two units. The old unit should have one track grinder car and one power car. The other bogie on the grinder unit is not always powered, just has the gears in it. Test if it's turning at all under power. The other car should be very strong and heavy though.

sectionmaster

Thanks O and K.   The 193 set did come with the extra regular wheelset and I sort of figured out that the grinding function probably was not the best thing to do.  Coincidentally, my Tomix vacuum car arrived today and I did plan to sandwich it between the 2 193 cars. 

Now,  can anyone tell me what the truck/bogie part number is for teh rapido style coupler?  the previous owner had cut off the 'arm' for the rapido couple and  glued on body mounted couplers.