T-Trak noise?

velotrain

Since there is a current topic on reducing track noise, I wondered if this is an issue with T-Trak modules, as it seems possible that the box-style construction causes it to act as a sound amplifier?  Or, does the open bottom prevent this?

If this is the case, how do people reduce the problem - perhaps a thin cork layer under the track?

OTOH - since these are more tightly framed than many layout segments, it may not be an issue, as the sides and top are less susceptible to vibration despite their typical thin material.

• Like 1

Ours are pretty quiet. No cork, just Kato Unitrack hot glued to the module. Our modules are small, 308mm X 210mm with a cross member underneath each end so there's not a large area to resonate. Here's the method we used to create our modules. http://ttrak.wikidot.com/1x3s

Cheers eh,

Todd

I've never noticed much resonance in Ttrak modules, the boxes are pretty small area as you mention and very stiff with the corner blocks (if you use the usual design).

Jeff

One thing is we usually don't run large trains or very fast on our Ttrak, but on the big layouts at our Locak shows I've never noticed a lot of sound.

Most of the noise on or sectional layout I think come from our Shinkansens, many wheels going fast on a lot of raised viaduct so sound coming out all around.

Jeff

Most of the noise on or sectional layout I think come from our Shinkansens, many wheels going fast on a lot of raised viaduct so sound coming out all around.

Isn't that like in reality? I mean, fast running trains make a lot of noise.

For T-Trak?  That sounds like overkill.

I know you've done N-Trak in the past - where this would be more appropriate.

Ottawa is one of my favorite cities.

It's an uber simple module approach. 3/4" ply (but you can easily use down to 3/16" ply) base is easy to just bang t nuts into for the legs. The foam to build up and you can easily cut any feature down into the foam. Folks paint the foam edges or put a piece to styrene, thin ply or veneer on the fron face to pretty them up. It's about the same weight as a standard module.

For simplicity I love the U modules made from 3/4" shelving. Flip em over for the valley modules.

Jeff

Never really noticed any abnormal track noise here either.

When our club first changed from Ntrak to T-TRAK we tended to over engineer things a bit too but then we realised one reason we were changing was that modules were easier to construct and set up.

I don't think we ever used 3/4 ply even on Ntrak modules.

I have always thought that one of the intents of T-Trak was to keep things light, so I couldn't imagine using 3/4" ply, but then perhaps no-one in Ottawa brings their modules to a meet using public transit ;-) 

I'm not sure many folks in North America bring Ttrak to meets via public transit... really tiny bit of weight if you are using public transit as you would be like 1 - 4 modules you would take that way max anyway.

It's really about the same weight as an old "standard" construction Ttrak module out of 3/16" or 1/4" when you include those corner blocks. Some make the the standard design out of 10mm ply. The U modules are even heavier as usually out of hardware store 3/4" plank stock, but still not really "heavy".

Folks have gone super light and have done all foamcore modules!

Jeff

I have always thought that one of the intents of T-Trak was to keep things light, so I couldn't imagine using 3/4" ply, but then perhaps no-one in Ottawa brings their modules to a meet using public transit ;-) 

We don't either, but we still have to carry them from the car into the hall and it's fun to watch the other exhibitors struggling with their layouts and modules.

It's the 3/4 ply that makes them heavy, of course.  And that is why I've made my t-track-z with just 1x2 around the perimeter on the bottom.

Gerry